Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mixing normal and RFTs

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by mmm-five » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm The tyre manufacturer ergo has said its not suitable..
Does every manufacturer stipulate that mixing them is forbidden, or just not recommended?

Michelin also state you must not put different RFTs on different axles - so no mixing manufacturers, nor different models from the same manufacturer. I assume they want you to buy 4 when your front/rear size is NLA :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Big Bad Boris

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks all, looks like I kicked off a decent debate.

However, the car in question sold this morning. It only came on the market yesterday, nice low mileage 30i at a good price, I immediately contacted the seller, we exchanged Emails last night and I thought for once I’d spotted a good one and got in quick enough.

I was planning to make the 4+ hour journey down to Bournemouth tomorrow to view and buy, he sent me copies of the service history etc this morning, everything good. He then sent me an Email about 10 minutes later saying he’d just sold it to a local dealer, Aaaargh, not again.

So no doubt I’ll be able to buy the same car in a few days with 3 new tyres a cheap as chips warranty and a £2-3k higher price tag. It’s really annoying, every low mileage 30i that comes seems immediately to be snapped up by a dealer who does little to the car other than lump up the price. OK as you were rant over.

Pbondar

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm

Mister T wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:09 pm
Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 am Its technically illegal to have any combination of runflats and normal tyres, either across axles or even front and rear pairs
Where did you get that information from?

Even Michelin state that it is permitted (albeit temporarily):

Can I mix run flat tires with normal tires?
Never mix run flat tires with tires that do not have run flat technology (conventional tires) - unless in an emergency situation on a limited, temporary basis. The conventional tire should be replaced with a run flat tire as soon as possible.
It is also not recommended to mix different run flat technologies/products together.

Mister T, I clipped the piece off the Construction and Use regulations that gives dispensation for temp tyre placement..the OP wasn’t asking that question..temporary is normally regarded as max 80km..

Continental clearly state that it is not permissible..

The reverse question is probably more appropriate..show me a tyre manufacture that recommends or approves mixed axle or mixed construction across axles please?

Pbondar

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:17 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:42 pm
Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm The tyre manufacturer ergo has said its not suitable..
Does every manufacturer stipulate that mixing them is forbidden, or just not recommended?

Michelin also state you must not put different RFTs on different axles - so no mixing manufacturers, nor different models from the same manufacturer. I assume they want you to buy 4 when your front/rear size is NLA :P
I just used Continental..couldn’t be that interested to do a poll of every tyre manufacturer..an EU premium manufacturer is good enough for me..

Pbondar

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks all, looks like I kicked off a decent debate.

However, the car in question sold this morning. It only came on the market yesterday, nice low mileage 30i at a good price, I immediately contacted the seller, we exchanged Emails last night and I thought for once I’d spotted a good one and got in quick enough.

I was planning to make the 4+ hour journey down to Bournemouth tomorrow to view and buy, he sent me copies of the service history etc this morning, everything good. He then sent me an Email about 10 minutes later saying he’d just sold it to a local dealer, Aaaargh, not again.

So no doubt I’ll be able to buy the same car in a few days with 3 new tyres a cheap as chips warranty and a £2-3k higher price tag. It’s really annoying, every low mileage 30i that comes seems immediately to be snapped up by a dealer who does little to the car other than lump up the price. OK as you were rant over.

It is strange..I’ve seen recently a number of sensibly priced ‘toys’ fly off the shelves PDQ..good luck with the hunt.. :thumbsup:

Big Bad Boris

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

On that note if anyone is contemplating selling a “sensibly priced toy” in the shape of a 30i - please feel free to PM me ( am I allowed to say that Mr Moderator?).

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:59 pm Thanks all, looks like I kicked off a decent debate.

Sorry to hear you missed out, but good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

Just post a Wanted ad in the classified pages.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Big Bad Boris

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks Mr P and Mr T I appreciate the sympathy, I was feeling a bit grumpy today. After months of nothing doing and the same old cars sitting on selling sites week after week things have picked up in the last month or so. Unfortunately I have missed out on 4 or 5, 3 of them in the last week or so.

I think the problem is I have become very well schooled by the fine members on here and now have very good idea of the right spec, mileage etc and the kind of price I should be at. Sadly, that seems to be pointing me at cars that immediately flag themselves up to Arthur Daley and his mates for exactly the same reasons, he then sends Terry Mcann round to buy them while he sips a G&T in the Winchester Club.

Sadly there are Arfurs and Terrys in every town in the country, while I am generally 100s of miles away :headbang:

(p.s. apologies to our younger viewers who probably wonder what the hell I'm on about)

Pbondar

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes the correct spec is something you develop a nose for..

I can’t quite work what’s happening, millions of people furloughed, economic oblivion on the horizon but lots of these type of cars being bought.. :tumbleweed:

Maybe it’s the other way down, people are not releasing them onto the market causing a shortage.. :thumbsdown:

Maybe you need an infusion of Del Boy DNA? :thumbsup:

scootr

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by scootr » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm Yes the correct spec is something you develop a nose for..

I can’t quite work what’s happening, millions of people furloughed, economic oblivion on the horizon but lots of these type of cars being bought.. :tumbleweed:

Maybe it’s the other way down, people are not releasing them onto the market causing a shortage.. :thumbsdown:

Maybe you need an infusion of Del Boy DNA? :thumbsup:
I have a theory on this which includes many people saving hundreds of (what you trade :) )each month by not going out to eat and drink. You are seeing entertainment dollars or pounds, whatever you trade, into toy leverage.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Mister T

Mixing normal and RFTs

Post by Mister T » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:14 am

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm
Mister T wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:09 pm
Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 am Its technically illegal to have any combination of runflats and normal tyres, either across axles or even front and rear pairs
Where did you get that information from?

Even Michelin state that it is permitted (albeit temporarily):

Can I mix run flat tires with normal tires?
Never mix run flat tires with tires that do not have run flat technology (conventional tires) - unless in an emergency situation on a limited, temporary basis. The conventional tire should be replaced with a run flat tire as soon as possible.
It is also not recommended to mix different run flat technologies/products together.

Mister T, I clipped the piece off the Construction and Use regulations that gives dispensation for temp tyre placement..the OP wasn’t asking that question..temporary is normally regarded as max 80km..

Continental clearly state that it is not permissible..

The reverse question is probably more appropriate..show me a tyre manufacture that recommends or approves mixed axle or mixed construction across axles please?
I'd be happy with 1.6mm of tread and the same size tyres (radials) across axles to be classed as 100% road legal in the UK.