Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

MV2 Confusion

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 am

Yesterday at the East Anglian breakfast meet I noted that Crazy Harry had the same wheels on his car as are on Val's new E85.
But then I noted they weren't quite the same.
On CH's 3.0 they appear the same front and back, with a 'square' set up.
On Val's 2.5 the rears are noticeably more dished and fill the arches much better.
There are no spacers fitted on the car.

They are sitting on the same size tyres (245/40 x 18) front and rear.

Personally I think they look great as they give the car a lovely stance, but of course now I am concerned about tyre sizes.

So,why are Val's wheels different to CH's?
Are the tyre sizes ok (it certainly drives well)?
What would be recommended tyre sizes to fit?
The wheels are due a refurb and the tyres aren't the best of makes so when they get done I want to do it right.
I don't think I can go any bigger on the back anyway, but should the front be narrower? Or is it acceptable to have 'square' tyres on 'staggered' wheels?
Attachments
IMG_1139.JPG
IMG_1139.JPG (113.25 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Rear
Rear
IMG_1138.JPG (115.3 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Rear
Rear
IMG_1137.JPG (99.95 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Front
Front
IMG_1136.JPG (109.48 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

MV2 Confusion

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:02 pm

Hhmmm , the rears with the dish could be off a 5 series which were all 4 x 8j et 22 but the fronts look to be flatter faced :?
Could be a set of reps i guess but looking at the rear finish with arch that would tally with 8j et 22
You would really need to remove a front + a rear to check the numbers then go from there with tyre sizes
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:46 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:02 pm Hhmmm , the rears with the dish could be off a 5 series which were all 4 x 8j et 22 but the fronts look to be flatter faced :?
Could be a set of reps i guess but looking at the rear finish with arch that would tally with 8j et 22
You would really need to remove a front + a rear to check the numbers then go from there with tyre sizes
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I do accept the it's mostly theorising until I can read the numbers. To me I think it looks good.
Rear tyres don't look overstretched which I guess would match with your theory.
Fronts, whilst a tad wide, do not seem to cause any issues.
Val is more than happy with the way it drives, and I love the way it looks, so I guess we'll live with it and I'll endeavour to find somewhere other than my gravel drive to get it up in the air and check the figures.

Most importantly, you didn't shout 'woah' and point out some terrible issue, so at least I know it's viable as it is right now. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

brillomaster

MV2 Confusion

Post by brillomaster » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:53 pm

MV2s are normally staggered, 8" front, 8.5" rear. My guess is CHs car is just the fronts, which is why they look flat, whereas vals has the correct staggered fitment.

Standard sizes on a staggered set are 225/40 and 255/35, but a square setup of 245/40 would work fine on either an 8 or an 8.5. 255 is too big for an 8" rim though.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:57 pm

brillomaster wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:53 pm MV2s are normally staggered, 8" front, 8.5" rear. My guess is CHs car is just the fronts, which is why they look flat, whereas vals has the correct staggered fitment.

Standard sizes on a staggered set are 225/40 and 255/35, but a square setup of 245/40 would work fine on either an 8 or an 8.5. 255 is too big for an 8" rim though.

Keep the info coming. :thumbsup:
On a wheely steep learning curve here.

Just toying with the idea of explaining to Val that "Well it's a woman's car dear, of course it's wider at the rear."

Wish me luck! You're all invited to the funeral :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

MV2 Confusion

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 pm

I bought a set of MV2 replicas a while back for my nephew's 3 Series as a back up after one of his OE ones cracked!

Anyway the replicas are a square set of 8J x 18, with an ET of 40 so maybe Crazy Harry has something similar.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Crazy Harry

MV2 Confusion

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 pm I bought a set of MV2 replicas a while back for my nephew's 3 Series as a back up after one of his OE ones cracked!

Anyway the replicas are a square set of 8J x 18, with an ET of 40 so maybe Crazy Harry has something similar.
Sort of feel I need to post a pic of my wheels now!
Crazy Harry's Zed.jpg
Crazy Harry's Zed.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Best I can do without going out in the dark - sure I'm running genuine MV2s. Did the genuine wheels have a number cast into the outer face - or am I going to have to take my wheels off as well?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:07 am

Crazy Harry wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:16 am
Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:42 pm I bought a set of MV2 replicas a while back for my nephew's 3 Series as a back up after one of his OE ones cracked!

Sort of feel I need to post a pic of my wheels now!

Crazy Harry's Zed.jpg

Best I can do without going out in the dark - sure I'm running genuine MV2s. Did the genuine wheels have a number cast into the outer face - or am I going to have to take my wheels off as well?
Ha ha! Opened a can of worms it seems.
My fronts seem to have nothing on the outer face but the rears have a raised '1' on them.
Will try to get them off this weekend, weather permitting, and get some figures.
At this point I have no idea if mine are genuine. they do have the 'm' badge set into them?
My guess would be genuine, but not genuine Z4. We'll see....................

Clarkie

MV2 Confusion

Post by Clarkie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm

All - I have a set of MV2's - definitely a staggered set up - and all four have a number cast into the faces near the centre cap (I think this is the factory code) - the part numbers etc are on the inside face.

Great resource on BMW OEM wheels here http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/135
SOLD 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport Montego Blue/Pearl Grey

Warming

MV2 Confusion

Post by Warming » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:41 pm

That's right as Clarkie said, an indicator of genuine MV2 wheels is there will be a little number 13 embossed in the casting of the wheel just around where the bmw centre cap goes.
Clarkie wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm All - I have a set of MV2's - definitely a staggered set up - and all four have a number cast into the faces near the centre cap (I think this is the factory code) - the part numbers etc are on the inside face.

Crazy Harry

MV2 Confusion

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Warming wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:41 pm That's right as Clarkie said, an indicator of genuine MV2 wheels is there will be a little number 13 embossed in the casting of the wheel just around where the bmw centre cap goes.
Clarkie wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:08 pm All - I have a set of MV2's - definitely a staggered set up - and all four have a number cast into the faces near the centre cap (I think this is the factory code) - the part numbers etc are on the inside face.

Yep thought that last night - just rubbed the dirt away and all mine have a 13 cast into the front face - thanks for confirming that. Don't suppose I can check square or staggered without taking them off. I bet the number is in the centre so I can't use a mirror on a stick!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Then it seems the ones I have may be replicas.
Can't say I'm too bothered cos they look good :)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

MV2 Confusion

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Well finally, I got all the 'really important (apparently)' garden jobs out of the way and was allowed to play with the cars this weekend.
So off came the MV2s on Vall's E85, for a spruce up of the calipers and hubs and a good wheel cleaning session. Sadly the fronts have been a bit neglected and whilst I've made a huge improvement, they will still need a refurb at some point.

Anyway, the point is, I managed to remember to note the sizes.

Fronts are 8J x 18, ET 47. These do not have any numbers on the outer face, but are genuine BMW according to what is on the inner face.

Rears are 8J x 18, ET 20. These have a raised '1' on the inner edge of the front face. They are marked on the inner face as BMW but also as BBS.

I have no idea what these rears are from, but I can say that they fit the wheel arches perfectly.

I have 245/40s front and rear, which are fine on the 8" widths. Vall says she is happy with the steering so I suspect I'll stick with those sizes.

EDIT: So, I just referred to Clarkie's link and it says my rears are off a 5 Series (E60+), not 4x4. They apparently weigh 0.7 Kg less than the 8.5" ones that should be on it. That's got to be worth a few nano-seconds off the 0-60 :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

MV2 Confusion

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:02 pm

No wonder the rears sit so far out. :lol:

OE rear MV2s for the Z4 are 8.5J ET50!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Crazy Harry

MV2 Confusion

Post by Crazy Harry » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm

So does that mean that my MV2's are correct - or will I have to take them off the car to check :lol: