Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vibrating unknown cause

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Faz

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by Faz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi all
Any input greatly appreciated. About a month ago I noticed vibrating in the steering wheel from 60mph onwards, 2 weeks later I got a flat left rear and decided it was a good time to get some new wheels as well. There was no nail in the tyre but the inside was all shredded up I did drive on a bit to get home after the flat as have been advised this would be an expected appearance after this. I then got 4 new wheels and 2 new rear tyres on my e86 coupe about 2 weeks ago, and the vibrating all stopped, but today I noticed it return almost identical to before. After fitting the new wheels I got it tracked with a hunter machine and was advised everything is in order. Just wanted to see if anyone had any idea what it may be before I take it to the garage, thinking either before the balancing was out and by chance got a flat, and now the balancing has been knocked out again just after fitting the new ones although find this unlikely. Or whether it's a suspension or bearing issue. The bushes were changed within the last year

Thanks in advance

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by mmm-five » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

A balance weight may have come off.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Tyre pressures all ok?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

z4pilot

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by z4pilot » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:42 pm

If your wheels have been off the car recently, have you checked the wheel nuts are all done up properly?

More info is good! Are the symptoms exactly the same - ie only above 60mph? Does it vibrate only in a straight line, when turning or what happens when you brake? does it stop, get worse etc?
Now Gone - 2008 Coupe, Montego Blue, Champagne leather and Piano Black interior, Eibachs & Koni Sport shocks, Style 230 19s, Eisenmann Quad - approaching perfection...

exdos

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by exdos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Have you got spigot rings on the hubs with the new wheels?

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by kis » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:36 pm

Maybe the wheel has a flat spot... i.e. buckled very slightly?

What size wheels do you have? Are they staggered? Swap front wheels onto the back? Or if you have access to a second set of wheels? This will help isolate whether it's a wheel or another issue.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Faz

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by Faz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:19 am

Hi guys. The wheels are all the same size and brand new. I thought could be a balancing weight off but bit unusual that these symptoms occurred before changing all 4 wheels, stopped for 2 weeks then started occurring again. Bit confusing whether or not it's to do with the wheels themselves. It usually occurs when I reach 60 on the motorway and tends to disappear after 20 minutes, but during that time if I drop to around 40 it's still happening. Today started noticing a faint high pitched sound while going a lot slower from back right. Don't know if it's perhaps wheel bearing issue. Pressures are all fine. Taking it for a service this Saturday will ask them to look but really don't know what to expect

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by kis » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Faz wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:19 am Taking it for a service this Saturday will ask them to look but really don't know what to expect
Keep us posted! :)
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Warming

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by Warming » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:26 am

Did the garage check your brakes? Just an idea. could it be a sticking brake caliper?

I had a similar vibration from 60 up, it would only occur on a particular section of my commute on dual-carriageway, especially when sub-5 degrees temperature. It would begin to vibrate without using the brakes, but then be exacerbated by pressing the brake pedal.

After a month or two of it occuring once or twice a week, I took it in to the garage. They found it had a sticking front caliper as I suspected which they cleaned and free'd up. They also re-balanced the front wheels which may have needed doing anyway, weights can fall off in our extreme weather and potholed roads.

Faz

Vibrating unknown cause

Post by Faz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:49 pm

Hi Guys

Sorry I forgot to reply, but Warming was correct it was the brake calliper seized. All sorted now, big relief

Faz