Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Complete Tyre Pressure Loss?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
ScottR

Post by ScottR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi guys, commuting home I had my rear drivers side tyre suffer what I thought was a blow out.
Complete pressure loss after going over a speed bump :headbang: that resulted in what sounded and felt like alloy and concrete meeting each other, a few yards further down the road I then heard the dreaded rubber slapping against the road. Now, the odd thing is i have inflated the tyre in an attempt to understand the point of failure but it is somehow holding pressure and seems fine? Any ideas how compete pressure loss could occur if the integrity of the tyre is still intact? Just debating whether or not to spend £450 on 4 new tyres if there could be some reasonable explanation for it?
Ta, Scott.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:15 pm

ScottR wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:39 pm Hi guys, commuting home I had my rear drivers side tyre suffer what I thought was a blow out.
Complete pressure loss after going over a speed bump :headbang: that resulted in what sounded and felt like alloy and concrete meeting each other, a few yards further down the road I then heard the dreaded rubber slapping against the road. Now, the odd thing is i have inflated the tyre in an attempt to understand the point of failure but it is somehow holding pressure and seems fine? Any ideas how compete pressure loss could occur if the integrity of the tyre is still intact? Just debating whether or not to spend £450 on 4 new tyres if there could be some reasonable explanation for it?
Ta, Scott.

Its not inconceivable that the tyre momentarily separated from the wheel under compression and deflated (old fashioned bead breakers did exactly that) ..with the load of it it could be re-inflated..either way, IMHO, if you had that event you'll need a new tyre come what may as you may not see any structural damage without taking it off, and even then you may not see damage below the surface..the wheel may be damaged /out of true/dented/cracked..

To paraphrase Clint "do you feel lucky punk?"

Even if you do would your pax feel the same way about it-;)

ScottR

Post by ScottR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:49 pm

Hmm, that's kind of where my thoughts were tbh just seemed a rather odd event. Agree that it needs looking at, as for pax, the reason I bought the zed is to never have any :D Well, at least I'm not at the mercy of a mobile fitter which i thought i would be, i can get her to the garage for a once over! If I need new wheels and tyres on a £3k zed that has already given me numerous issues in 9 months I'm going to have to start questioning where the well of money ends 😐 Would be devastating to end up in a 'sensible' car *shudders*.
Thanks for the feedback!

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:06 pm

You can lose all of the pressure from a leaking valve stem, although I’m not sure how that could be triggered by a speed bump (and deflate so quickly). Worth a quick fairy liquid test around the valve anyway.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

greg81

Post by greg81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 pm

I lost pressure in my e85 a few years back. Went from normal pressure to about 12psi in the space of a mile.

Managed to get to a filling station, filled it with air and it never leaked again. Very bizarre.

I took it to my local tyre place for a check over and they found absolutely nothing wrong. Tyre, wheel and valve were all perfectly fine.

ScottR

Post by ScottR » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Hmm, I have had a similar sounding issue on my front passenger side, lost pressure on a short drive, re-inflated, went down over a two/three week period, is now holding pressure and has done for a couple of months. Im wondering whether it's more major corrosion/kerbing issues on the alloys (pre my ownership)?! Perhaps I'll get looking for another set of 107's :roll:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:45 pm

I had a very similar experience about a month ago in my 3 Series.

TPWS light came on so I checked all the tyres and one had only 1.6 Bar instead of 2.2. I pumped it up, reset the Warning System and checked that tyre every day and it hasn't lost pressure since. Weird! :?

I doubt the rim is damaged - although it is on run-flats they are only 17s, but I'll have a good look when I put the winters on.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 pm

How fast were you traveling when you hit the speed bump? :o
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Andrew Sheldon

Post by Andrew Sheldon » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Sometimes a nail or whatever can cause a bad leak initially then embed itself and bung up its own hole/leak..... if you see what I mean...double check for nails...

ScottR

Post by ScottR » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:33 pm How fast were you traveling when you hit the speed bump? :o
Rob
Less than 5 mph as otherwise I'll scrape the front :P