Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Michelin PSS on Tyre Leader

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Been a while since I've been on the forum... But in the search for new tyres, initially for replacement PS4's as I have on now. But just found these linked below, cheaper than the PS4's.

Has anyone used this website before?

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/ ... 95y-913340

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

no problems with tyreleader, use them all the time :thumbsup:

though I believe the PS4 is a replacement for the pilot super sports, so this would surely be a backwards step. Also those tyres are already 3 years old, personally I'd spend a bit extra and get new tyres, or if budget is tight, look at cheaper (but still new) alternatives, like goodyears. or continentals.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm

PS4S is the replacement for the Supersports, but the PS4 is almost as good anyway, and the PS4S is not currently available in Z4M sizes.

Your other option could be the very well received Goodyear Supersport, but they’ll be a bit more expensive than the 3 year old Michelins.
Last edited by mmm-five on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure the PS4's replace the PS3's, with the Super Sports being replaced by the PS4'S'. But the PS4S are only available in 19" (I think), so I'm pretty sure the top of the range Michelin available to us on OEM wheels are the PSS.

But good to know they might be worth using. Tbh the tyres I've got on now have only lasted about a year, so if they're cheap because of the shorter life left on them, then it shouldn't matter to me too much lol

Cheers

Kern47

Post by Kern47 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm PS4S is the replacement for the Supersports, but the PS4 is almost as good anyway, and the PS4S is not currently available in Z4M sizes.

Your other option could be the very well received Goodyear Supersport.
Posted our responses at the same time there lol.

I'll look into those Goodyears, the only thing I worry about with the PSS is running them through winter, heard they can crack when it gets really cold. But sure they'll be great in summer. And at that price they're the cheapest option atm... somehow

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Kern47 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm
mmm-five wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm PS4S is the replacement for the Supersports, but the PS4 is almost as good anyway, and the PS4S is not currently available in Z4M sizes.

I'll look into those Goodyears, the only thing I worry about with the PSS is running them through winter, heard they can crack when it gets really cold. But sure they'll be great in summer. And at that price they're the cheapest option atm... somehow
I’ve run mine throughout the year for about 4 years, and not had any issues. Even done freezing cold track days & ring trips. (top picture is a UK hotel car park in February, the bottom picture is a November weekend at the Nurburgring)

My last set cost £130 for the rears, but the current price of ‘DOT 2019’ ones are about £170...probably due to Brexit and the weak pound.

If the PS4S isn’t available when I come to replace my current set, then I’ll definitely consider the Goodyears.
Trigger’s Z4MC

PinkPineapple44

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 pm

mmm-five wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:53 pm
Kern47 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

I’ve run mine throughout the year for about 4 years, and not had any issues. Even done freezing cold track days & ring trips. (top picture is a UK hotel car park in February, the bottom picture is a November weekend at the Nurburgring)

My last set cost £130 for the rears, but the current price of ‘DOT 2019’ ones are about £170...probably due to Brexit and the weak pound.

If the PS4S isn’t available when I come to replace my current set, then I’ll definitely consider the Goodyears.
Did you actually manage to get off the drive with your PSS in that snow pic? I don't think they're particularly great in the wet and they're definitely god awful in the snow :lol:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Ive tried out a few sets of MPSS on various wheelsets & various Zs & until you get some decent heat into them they are average & for the first 15-20 mins on damp / cold tarmac they are woeful :cry:
Unless you drive these up to temp & beyond id look for alternative tyres , they just aren't the great all rounders that most forum users would expect
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Another here who has bought MPSS from Tyre Leader a couple of times. No problems with them. My favourite tyre for the Zed too. :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:22 pm

PinkPineapple44 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:08 pm Did you actually manage to get off the drive with your PSS in that snow pic? I don't think they're particularly great in the wet and they're definitely god awful in the snow :lol:
Yes, and did 200 miles that day in total.

Here’s the photos of the BMW dealer I was heading to on the way home from London to Liverpool (via this dealer in Cow Roast)...about an hour away from my starting point. Disappointed that it was a wasted journey due to the dealership closing when I arrived as most of the staff didn’t turn up due to the snow.

I’m not saying I’d use them to drive up to Scotland in the middle of winter, or the Alps in skiing season, but they’ve never left me stranded as long as I didn’t drive like a dick.
Last edited by mmm-five on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trigger’s Z4MC

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 pm

buzyg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 pm Another here who has bought MPSS from Tyre Leader a couple of times. No problems with them. My favourite tyre for the Zed too. :thumbsup:
Once you try the P4S the PSS failings soon become hard to ignore :cry: a great move forward in cold , wet , warm grip but the 4S don't come without their own foibles :( ive recently sold 2 virtually full tread sets simply because of the roar given off 55mph / 65 mph & up
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:36 pm

mr wilks wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 pm
buzyg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 pm Another here who has bought MPSS from Tyre Leader a couple of times. No problems with them. My favourite tyre for the Zed too. :thumbsup:
Once you try the P4S the PSS failings soon become hard to ignore :cry: a great move forward in cold , wet , warm grip but the 4S don't come without their own foibles :( ive recently sold 2 virtually full tread sets simply because of the roar given off 55mph / 65 mph & up
Your not selling me on those recommendations. When not a full chat I actually tend to spend a lot of time at 55 to 65 mph, that is pretty much my roof down cruising range.

Had an amusing spot of aquaplaning on the inside tyres as I passed a motor bike in the rain on Sunday evening. All part of the fun on cold damp roads :driving:

Your absolutely right though the MPSS is best suited to warm dry conditions, where it is a cracking good tyre. :D