Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by Smartbear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:15 am

Busterboo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 am
mr wilks wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:39 am
Busterboo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am
Are you running your 911 (with its beautiful lobster claws) on those pressures? I'll bet you're not.

If you are, you're missing a trick, because it'll be more agile on the Porsche recommended 36 front & 44 rear and your rears will last much longer.

(Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that BMW recommend the same pressures for their 3-litre Z4s?)
Currently ( Vred Vorti R ) on 36psi f 40psi r ( 235 35 19) & no plans to change that , drives fine & feels right .
As for any coincidence with Bmw :? one has a rear engine & much bigger tyres & wider rims ( 11j with 305 30 19 ) both possible reasons for the 44psi recommendation , a 19 inch runflat 255 30 19 on a 9j rim only needs looking at to know its going to offer little by way of comfort or rim protection & pretty sure this "mistake" has been rectified on the G29
I assume you inherited the Vredesteins. When the time comes for a change - the sooner, the better - buy some Pirelli P Zero Rosso and discover how good your 911 is.

Yes, I know the Vreds review* well and pound for pound are good tyres, but they're certainly not as good as the best and, on a brilliant Porsche like yours - the last of the short wheelbase 911s - why compromise? To save money and spoil the car?

*Tyre reviews and their pseudo-scientific data are one of the biggest dishonesties of the car world - and Heaven knows there are plenty.

As for pressures on Z4s, from replies on the forum, it looks as if people are frightened of 'high' ones. Perhaps because so many are on fragile 19" wheels or because they have no experience of one of the most critical features of performance, I don't know. But they're missing a key element of the car's performance.
Tyre pressures, one subject that’s guaranteed to get blown up out of all proportion :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by Busterboo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:38 am

:D
Vidi, vici, veni

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by mr wilks » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:35 am

Busterboo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am
Are you running your 911 (with its beautiful lobster claws) on those pressures? I'll bet you're not.

If you are, you're missing a trick, because it'll be more agile on the Porsche recommended 36 front & 44 rear and your rears will last much longer.

(Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that BMW recommend the same pressures for their 3-litre Z4s?)
Currently ( Vred Vorti R ) on 36psi f 40psi r ( 235 35 19) & no plans to change that , drives fine & feels right .
As for any coincidence with Bmw :? one has a rear engine & much bigger tyres & wider rims ( 11j with 305 30 19 ) both possible reasons for the 44psi recommendation , a 19 inch runflat 255 30 19 on a 9j rim only needs looking at to know its going to offer little by way of comfort or rim protection & pretty sure this "mistake" has been rectified on the G29
I assume you inherited the Vredesteins. When the time comes for a change - the sooner, the better - buy some Pirelli P Zero Rosso and discover how good your 911 is.

Yes, I know the Vreds review* well and pound for pound are good tyres, but they're certainly not as good as the best and, on a brilliant Porsche like yours - the last of the short wheelbase 911s - why compromise? To save money and spoil the car?

*Tyre reviews and their pseudo-scientific data are one of the biggest dishonesties of the car world - and Heaven knows there are plenty.

As for pressures on Z4s, from replies on the forum, it looks as if people are frightened of 'high' ones. Perhaps because so many are on fragile 19" wheels or because they have no experience of one of the most critical features of performance, I don't know. But they're missing a key element of the car's performance.
Oh we could chat all day Buster :oops: so I take it you have actually driven a 997 on Vreds to have such opinion?
I'm currently on my third wheelset on the C4 & all 3 with different rubber so brace yourself :roll:
I sold the set of virtually brand new set PS4S which funded the new Vortis as I simply couldn't tolerate the huge amount of tyre roar from 50mph up with the Michelin.
The Pzero I have tried, I'm somewhat of a fan in that they run quiet, feel comfy & wear well plus you can predict where they will let you down ( warm wet bends lethal especially on the ZM & 35 E89) whereas the PS4S grip forever in any condition.
The Vred I've found over 4/5 sets on various cars are utterly capable of anything any driver on this forum wants to test them at plus they're quiet at any speed, wear OK & feel compliant to drive on.
So please don't infer I'm missing some sort of hidden capacity my car has that can't be released unless I have a certain tyre on because at that point I know 100% that you're talking utter bollshite :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Busterboo

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by Busterboo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Like you, I'm talking from experience and, like you, I don't think I'm talking bullshit.

Unlike you, I didn't find the Michelins too noisy, but they were almost, although very good otherwise. That said, I think they're over-hyped on websites.

As for Pirelli P Zero, the Nero are (i.e. have been for me on several cars) an excellent compromise between performance and durability. The best tyres by far I've ever used, however, are the Rosso (on a 911, on which I later had Michelins). Basically, the Rosso are 'black glue' and, yes, I do think they'd make your 997:2 perform better than Vreds.

There is a downside to the Rosso, however, that you very probably know. Durability.
Vidi, vici, veni

MattZCars

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by MattZCars » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:18 pm

mr wilks wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:35 am

Oh we could chat all day Buster :oops: so I take it you have actually driven a 997 on Vreds to have such opinion?
I'm currently on my third wheelset on the C4 & all 3 with different rubber so brace yourself :roll:
I sold the set of virtually brand new set PS4S which funded the new Vortis as I simply couldn't tolerate the huge amount of tyre roar from 50mph up with the Michelin.
The Pzero I have tried, I'm somewhat of a fan in that they run quiet, feel comfy & wear well plus you can predict where they will let you down ( warm wet bends lethal especially on the ZM & 35 E89) whereas the PS4S grip forever in any condition.
The Vred I've found over 4/5 sets on various cars are utterly capable of anything any driver on this forum wants to test them at plus they're quiet at any speed, wear OK & feel compliant to drive on.
So please don't infer I'm missing some sort of hidden capacity my car has that can't be released unless I have a certain tyre on because at that point I know 100% that you're talking utter bollshite :thumbsup:
As far as I'm concerned Mr W is my first point of reference on this forum for most things but particularly wheels & tyres! His posts are always clear concise and to the point. They are also based on fact and his direct experience and unlike many others, isn't keen on hyperbole!

I run Vred Vorti's on my facelift 2.5 Roadster on 17's (not popular it seems but far more suited to my car than 18's) and they are a very good all round tyre for all the important criteria such as grip, noise, ride and steering feel. I'm sure there's a tyre I could fit that would give slightly higher grip if I were exploring the limits of the car on a daily basis, but as my circuit driving days are over, I don't do that anymore :driving:
2006 2.5i SE on 17" daisies without runflats! :thumbsup: already busy.... :play: :P

Assorted other sheds on wheels :driving: ....including..

Z3 2.2
+ Others I won't admit to yet... :oops:

MattZCars

Tyre Pressure Guidance

Post by MattZCars » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:30 pm

Oh yeah, tyre pressures! The whole point of this thread. For the performance cars I've owned slightly higher than manufacturer pressures tend to work better in terms of feel, turn in, tyre stability and also wear. My experience with the Z so far seems to confirm that. I'm running +2 PSI front & rear checking when properly cold.
2006 2.5i SE on 17" daisies without runflats! :thumbsup: already busy.... :play: :P

Assorted other sheds on wheels :driving: ....including..

Z3 2.2
+ Others I won't admit to yet... :oops: