Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A Good Year for a tyre change?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello all, I am looking for some feedback, if possible, before I change the tyres on my E89.
Due to my desire to actually travel in the direction I am looking, and keep all my teeth in my head, I am going to get rid of the Bridgestone RFTs and would normally follow the trend of non-RFTs, of which my personal choice would be Goodyear F1s.
And if it were only me driving, that is the route I would go down.
However, my wife, who used to work for Lotus and holds their 'product licence' having successfully put an Evora through the chicane on their track at over 100 mph (and is therefore deemed safe, by me, to use my pride and joy), may well be out and about in the Z4 on her own at some point. I don't really want to leave her faffing about with goo and a pump.
Therefore, I am leaning towards paying a bit more and going for the run-flat version of the F1s.
With that much money at stake, I don't want to be stuck with horrible tyres for another few years.
Has anyone got the F1 RFTs on their Z, and could they please let me know what they think of them.
Thank you.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Don’t go runflats. It will still ruin the car. Go for MPS3/PS4 or MSS. Michelin all the way for me.

Tyre issue? Get AA membership.

1. you could stick a space saver in the boot
2. they can relay you to a garage.

AA can fit the space saver or take you to a garage to get a new tyre. Either way AA can do it without you doing any hard work.

We have the same policy at work. Anything happens then just let them sort it. I’m happy to change it myself... but not going to argue with company policy :lol:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 am

Hi thanks,
Yes, I definitely don't want to spend that money if it's not an improvement. Just wondered if the others were as bad as the Bridgestones.
I already keep RAC cover on the car. Don't really want to fill the boot with a space saver, but I guess I could have one in the garage and stick it in when wifey wants a drive out on her own. No good for a weekend away, but then I'll be with her on that.
So, do you use the goo and compressor, or just call the AA/RAC and let them sort it?

As a matter of fact, each year, at renewal, I get on to Topcashback and check the deals between the RAC and AA. Sometimes it means swapping every year, but this time round I rang the RAC and told them how much I could save if I switched to the AA. They agreed to let me renew my cover at the same discounted rate I would have got to join the RAC anew, including my Topcashback credit. Always worth asking the question.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: