Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Value tyres

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
buzyg
Legend
Legend

Value tyres

Post by buzyg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 pm

ben g wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm
andyf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 am
BeardyJon wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:09 am Ok cool. Thanks guys. That’s good to know. Some things you can skimp on so worth an ask, but you’re probably right that tyres shouldn’t be one of them.
The best thing to look at is the wet grip rating, anything less than A is no good
Thats complete rubbish. Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a B wet rating and people foam at the mouth when driving on them.

My Vorti's also have a B rating and they're fantastic in all weather's, even when it was - 8c and snowing.
On my 3rd set of MPSS. They are fine in the wet once warmed up. But that takes a good while and when cold they still have me twitching in wet conditions. So yes, they do a decent enough job to get you from A to B in the wet. But they do not fill this Zed driver with a warm secure glow. In the dry they are just fecking ace, once warm, so on ballance perfect for a weekend car that seldom sees a wet road. :thumbsup:

andyf1140

Value tyres

Post by andyf1140 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:11 pm

buzyg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:13 pm
ben g wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm
andyf1140 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 am

The best thing to look at is the wet grip rating, anything less than A is no good
Thats complete rubbish. Michelin Pilot Super Sports have a B wet rating and people foam at the mouth when driving on them.

My Vorti's also have a B rating and they're fantastic in all weather's, even when it was - 8c and snowing.
On my 3rd set of MPSS. They are fine in the wet once warmed up. But that takes a good while and when cold they still have me twitching in wet conditions. So yes, they do a decent enough job to get you from A to B in the wet. But they do not fill this Zed driver with a warm secure glow. In the dry they are just fecking ace, once warm, so on ballance perfect for a weekend car that seldom sees a wet road. :thumbsup:
I've got some "Goodgrips" on the Marlin and they are downright dangerous in the wet, absolutely no grip under braking... amusing considering the name! I'm hoping to get some Uniroyal Rainsport 3s this year.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Value tyres

Post by MACK » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 pm

OP as a general rule there's a much much bigger gulf between the budget and the mid range tyres than there is between the high performance ones and the mid range for a road car. You really need to be aiming for at least mid range instead of the ditch finders and if you can afford it the high end stuff. At the end of the day a meters stopping distance can make all the difference really.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Value tyres

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 pm

There's a lot of seat of the pants subjectivity with owners tyre reviews (or just pants reviews :wink: ) useful, but well worth checking out against a more scientifically run comparison like the well respected Auto Bild reviews. I found out about AB on the forum and it's well worth a look. Based on their all round performance Vs value I was persuaded towards the Goodyear Eagle range a couple of years ago and have been well pleased, although my seat of the pants assessment is that my previous Falkens suited the Z4 better for ironing out steering twitch and stability, apparently down to tread pattern and shoulder profile.

Previous years reviews may cover superseded tyre specs but the 2019 summer review is out,
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Value tyres

Post by mr wilks » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 pm

Ewazix wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 pm although my seat of the pants assessment is that my previous Falkens suited the Z4 better for ironing out steering twitch and stability, apparently down to tread pattern and shoulder profile.
& that pretty much sum's up why all those tyre reviews online are interesting to read but shouldn't form the basis on which you choose a tyre for a specific car that most likely ( as in a Z4 ) has zero likeness to the car the tyres were tested on or that folks online give their opinion & feedback on .
How can a fwd Volvo estate or Focus people carrier handle , grip , brake like a rwd 2 seater sports car :?
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo