Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is This A Good Deal ?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by RustyZ4 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:47 pm

I have been on about changing my run flats for some time now, and finally getting around to doing it, a mate of mine who has a garage, has quoted me replace all four 19" tyres, fitted, the options are-

Michelin pilot sport 4`s @ £759.00
Yokohama @ £635.00

Cant remember the spec of the Yokohama tyres, as I was really after the Michelins, but thought I had better get a comparison, I did not think that was to bad for the pilot sports, but would appreciate some thoughts on if its a good deal or not :thumbsup:

Edit, they are on 19" 326 alloys on a E89
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

rosskins

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by rosskins » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Hi Rusty, just come across this. Seems a lot of money so i would suggest a simple google and compare - and then hopefully a quick negotiation with a 'tyre Indie' will get you the best price. Not sure about the brands but do a search on the forum for opinions.
Current: F-Type AWD V6 & M135i
Before: ZR3.0si, 525d, 325ti, 120d, A3-2.0DSG, 323T4x4, MX3-V6, 2CV, MetroVP, Mini850
Zed was fitted with: None run flats, Stubby, Cruise, Intravee, DrilledFogs, WiredCam & 326s

TimothyTub

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by TimothyTub » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:51 am

At least 2 and possibly 4 new tyres are needed to complete this years summer motoring in the Elan 1994 - s2 - 205/45 R16, so just thought Id ask if anyone has picked up on a good deal recently and if so would they recommend the seller and service?

Thanks

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by mmm-five » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Rusty,

Exact tyre sizes and models (e.g. Yokohama do everything from cheap ditchfinders to pukka track rubber) would help the comparison, but just use the standard tyre sites to see what you can find - after all that's what anyone on here will be doing.

Rusty/TimothyTub, try the following (in no particular order): And check their fitted prices against your local independent tyre place - but make sure the quote you get is fully fitted INCLUDING VAT (as some will quote ex-VAT to get the business at 5% less than the online places, and then sting you with it at the end).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Cheers for that Five, I went with the Goodyear eagles in the end, and loving them, got them supplied and fitted for just under £600, by my local garage

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by Jembo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Nothing wrong with the Goodyear’s, though Michelin prices are up & down more than a lady of the night in Amsterdam - yeah lots more cash but my personal experiences of occasional over enthusiasm haven’t found a tyre to match.

My latest find was MPS4s’ @ Costco for 235 35 19 for £137.99 INC VAT plus £8.60 fitting on Wednesday, but my membership had expired & couldn’t get it to renew.

On Friday when I went back, they’d changed it to £148 inc vat + fitting.... it’s the rears that cost the money though got a deal for £350 from National tyres

18” are significantly cheaper...
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Yes seems the 19`s are a big leap in price, I was umming and arring between the Michelins and goodyears, I saw that black circle had a deal on the Michelins that only made them slightly dearer, one thing that swung me in the end, was a mate of mine who fits a lot of tyres, reckons that the Michelins don't age well and are prone to cracking on the walls, this then was emphasised when my wifes car went in for an MOT with Michelin tyres (albeit not the PS4`s), which are dated.3/16, and all four tyres were an advisory on the MOT for cracks!!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by Jembo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm Yes seems the 19`s are a big leap in price, I was umming and arring between the Michelins and goodyears, I saw that black circle had a deal on the Michelins that only made them slightly dearer, one thing that swung me in the end, was a mate of mine who fits a lot of tyres, reckons that the Michelins don't age well and are prone to cracking on the walls, this then was emphasised when my wifes car went in for an MOT with Michelin tyres (albeit not the PS4`s), which are dated.3/16, and all four tyres were an advisory on the MOT for cracks!!
Is her car left outside or garaged?
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by mmm-five » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:13 pm

Mine’s been left outside and the current Supersports have been on there since 2015, and not a crack on them.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Adil_3

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by Adil_3 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:47 pm

Might be worth while looking into toyo proxies. They've changed my life after chainging from run flats and honestly the grip is insane!!!! pulls a charm and no wheelspin in the wet. Thats me coming from bridgestones rf

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Is This A Good Deal ?

Post by RustyZ4 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:30 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 pm
RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:44 pm Yes seems the 19`s are a big leap in price, I was umming and arring between the Michelins and goodyears, I saw that black circle had a deal on the Michelins that only made them slightly dearer, one thing that swung me in the end, was a mate of mine who fits a lot of tyres, reckons that the Michelins don't age well and are prone to cracking on the walls, this then was emphasised when my wifes car went in for an MOT with Michelin tyres (albeit not the PS4`s), which are dated.3/16, and all four tyres were an advisory on the MOT for cracks!!
Is her car left outside or garaged?
To be fair yes it is, and from what I read on the net, the cracking issue does seem to be on the larger profile tyres for SUV ,s