Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How best to refurb my 108 style split rims?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
smayles

Post by smayles » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Happy New Year. It is time to refurb the 108 split rims on my 2004 2.5. I have previously had a Mercedes refurbed by a local mobile guy and while they looked impressive initially, they soon started to flake and peel - primarily after having tyres changed. I was also warned to avoid having them jet washed, which doesn't suggest much for their durability! This time I thought I would have the job done properly and have them powder coated. Is this the way to go? I am concerned about the split rim bolts snapping when preparing for this process - I have heard that this is a problem. Advice or recommendations please. I am in Worcestershire/West Midlands, if anyone has experience of local experts.

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:26 am

Firstly, don’t try removing the split rim bolts WITHOUT APPLYING HEAT! If you do it cold then fully expect the snapped bolt and/or stripped thread dramas that numerous people have experienced.

If you have an electric heat gun that you can setup on a bench angled to preheat the area behind each bolt in turn from the ‘tyre’ side of the rim then you stand the best chance of getting the bolts out without any problems.

Once you’ve got them split then you are ideally located to use City Wheels in Digbeth to strip and powder coat the two halves. Their recent pricing for these split rims is £20 for the outer barrel and £15 for the centre (star). Before you send them for refurb however you’ll need to mask each of the 20 threaded holes in each rim so order the cheapest M7 bolts you can find on eBay or similar.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue