Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 on E89

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Cliveb

Post by Cliveb » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone any experience of these tyres on their car?
I am planning on changing the tyres on my E89 for non run flats as I want something more forgiving over uneven road surfaces. The present stock potenza’s transmit every millimetre of road imperfection into the cabin and it’s causing all sorts of cracks and creaking noises. There is also a lot of tyre noise when getting up to speed so I am after a more comfortable and quiet sports tyre. That criteria has led me to the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 which look good on paper. Lots of good reviews generally but a couple have noted that the side walls are soft leading to roll on hard cornering.
I have 18” wheels and the non m sport suspension (which is still pretty damn firm!) I still want the car to have a firmness about it but not be too rough over rubbish tarmac. My old e92 Coupé had 17” runflats and SE suspension which was fine for me (though I wouldn’t want it any softer...) I’m therefore thinking non run flat 18s with the stiffer e89 set up should still be firm enough?
Anyone have any experience of there tyres they can share?
Thanks

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I've ran them on a company car for a year or so, obviously not driving excessively hard or testing the limits of adhesion but I liked them.

They were quiet, responsive and offered a good mileage return......................removing the runflats and replacing them with any matching set of premium rubber will absolutely transform the car :thumbsup:

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:17 am

So ive just done the change to toyos proxys and if you read into my recent tyre change from rf to non rf itl be a good insight

Cliveb

Post by Cliveb » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Got the new tyres fitted last weekend. Really pleased with the result - the car is quieter at all speeds and although the ride is still firm the car is now much more forgiving of road imperfections. No more tramlining and the car feels assured in wet and dry conditions. I’m sure there are probably firmer tyres out there but these are just what I was looking for.