Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Non-RFT pressures

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Non-RFT pressures

Post by mr wilks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 am

Lazza wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 am My Mazda MX5 has non RF tyres and the recommended pressures are 26psi all round. The car weighs 1280kg. Weight balance 52/48 which i believe is similar to Z4. Around 145bhp which is half of what I have now of course but standard has higher profile tyres (195/50/15 or 205/45/16 or 205/40/17).
Why would the Z4 need an additional 18psi?
The E89 is going to be heavier than the E85 which has totally different tyre pressure recommendations & can only assume the high psi factors in the weight of the hardtop when stored in the boot therefore over the drive wheels :? the recommendations as often mentioned in these discussions are there for runflat tyres ( structured with almost solid sidewall) which if ran underinflated can cause them to crease on the inside & therefore become defective , now as for the debate over runflat / non runflat requiring the same pressure :wink: that's a whole new debate :oops:
Last edited by mr wilks on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Phoenixboy

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:07 am

mr wilks wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 am
Lazza wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:16 am My Mazda MX5 has non RF tyres and the recommended pressures are 26psi all round. The car weighs 1280kg. Weight balance 52/48 which i believe is similar to Z4. Around 145bhp which is half of what I have now of course but standard has higher profile tyres (195/50/15 or 205/45/16 or 205/40/17).
The E89 is going to be heavier than the E85 which has totally different tyre pressure recommendations & can only assume the high psi factors in the weight of the hardtop when stored in the boot therefore over the drive wheels :? the recommendations as often mentioned in these discussions are there for runflat tyres ( structured with almost solid sidewall) which if ran underinflated can cause them to crease on the inside & therefore become defective , now as for the debate over runflat / non runflat requiring the same pressure :wink: that's a whole new debate :oops:
god this is confusing :roll:
I am going to go f34 r36 when the new goodyears go on car Monday.
worked fine on my R1, so as good a logic as any :headbang:
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Tinker15

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Tinker15 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:25 am

Busterboo wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 am :) :D :)

Speed apart, using BMW's B-pillar sticker figures + regular wheel alignment gives excellent tyre wear. Not just longevity, but consistency.

So, a pair of Pirelli P Zero rears @ 44psi lasted 23k and still had 2.6mm left across the tread when I changed them.
Wow! 23k of bone rattling ride. :) The roads around you must be a lot better than in Kirklees which is the pothole centre of the North. First we had load, then speed and acceleration and now longevity and consistency. I can’t wait to see what comes next. :D
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Tinker15

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Tinker15 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 am

@Phoenixboy

I started of running f34 r36 and then dropped it to f32 r34 which I think is a bit low. I will go back to what I started with. For long motorway journeys and driving through France (80mph is the legal maximum limit on Autoroutes) I will probably go with the Michelin recommendation of f36 r39.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

Phoenixboy

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:14 am

Tinker15 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 am @Phoenixboy

I started of running f34 r36 and then dropped it to f32 r34 which I think is a bit low. I will go back to what I started with. For long motorway journeys and driving through France (80mph is the legal maximum limit on Autoroutes) I will probably go with the Michelin recommendation of f36 r39.
sounds like a plan, perhaps keep pumping in air til you get bored, and go with that :roll:
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Busterboo

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Busterboo » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Five years & 50k miles on the hard tyres of a 911 taught me what good chassis & suspension design is and how good good tyres can be.

Slopping round on low pressures in a Z4 does its design no favours.
Vidi, vici, veni

Lazza

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Lazza » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Looking at the published stats (because I have nothing else to go by) the kerb weight of the 35i is 1580kg. That’s only 300kg heavier than my MX5. That certainly wouldn’t justify something like 80% increase in tyre pressure. That would mean something like my old C Class diesel would need 50+psi :rofl:
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Tinker15

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Tinker15 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:44 pm

Lazza wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 pm
Looking at the published stats (because I have nothing else to go by) the kerb weight of the 35i is 1580kg. That’s only 300kg heavier than my MX5. That certainly wouldn’t justify something like 80% increase in tyre pressure. That would mean something like my old C Class diesel would need 50+psi :rofl:
That’s a good point Lazza! :thumbsup: Our Jaguar XF weighs 1810kg has rear wheel drive and a 3.0 litre V6 engine. The Jaguar recommended tyre pressure is 33psi all round.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

Phoenixboy

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:55 pm

I honestly believe, and it was the same on the motorbikes, manufacturers will air on the side of caution regarding tyre pressures.
they will not suggest a tyre pressure that could be deemed under inflated, but seem happy to suggest something slightly to high, knowing people are more likely to try a little less than try going harder.
the pressures suggested on my many sports bikes, were always a bit high, and generally talking to the more knowledgeable, you arrived at a good figure that was always less.
as has been said, there are always variables such as suspension set up, type of driving as well as road surface and conditions.
there is usually a happy medium to be found, because one pressure wont cover all the variables.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

noiseboy72

Non-RFT pressures

Post by noiseboy72 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm

I am currently running about 30PSI all the way around on my 2006 2.5si. It has conventional non-RF Goodyear Eagle 3s on the back and Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. I found that reducing the pressures from 35PSI has improved the ride, reduced bump steer and tramlining significantly.

Let's remember that it's a combination of tyres, springs, shocks and other suspension components that all need to work together to give an acceptable ride and grip level. Really high tyre pressures and stiff suspension might improve turn in, but it does nothing for high speed stability and general road holding on typical British roads!

I am sure with RFs, the extra pressure is required to ensure the tyre does not deform, but with conventional tyres a little more flex is quite desirable. Race cars use relatively low pressures 20 - 25 PSI - and they run on generally excellent tarmac. Dropping the tyre pressures has not adversely affected the handling in any perceptible way with my car and I do drive quite energetically :) :driving:
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

Phoenixboy

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:29 pm

noiseboy72 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm I am currently running about 30PSI all the way around on my 2006 2.5si. It has conventional non-RF Goodyear Eagle 3s on the back and Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. I found that reducing the pressures from 35PSI has improved the ride, reduced bump steer and tramlining significantly.

Let's remember that it's a combination of tyres, springs, shocks and other suspension components that all need to work together to give an acceptable ride and grip level. Really high tyre pressures and stiff suspension might improve turn in, but it does nothing for high speed stability and general road holding on typical British roads!

I am sure with RFs, the extra pressure is required to ensure the tyre does not deform, but with conventional tyres a little more flex is quite desirable. Race cars use relatively low pressures 20 - 25 PSI - and they run on generally excellent tarmac. Dropping the tyre pressures has not adversely affected the handling in any perceptible way with my car and I do drive quite energetically :) :driving:
correct, but dropping pressures on track as I am sure you know is because of heat generated on track, hence you then check pressures after a session when tyres are hot
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Phoenixboy

Non-RFT pressures

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:49 pm

Phoenixboy wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:29 pm
noiseboy72 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:24 pm I am currently running about 30PSI all the way around on my 2006 2.5si. It has conventional non-RF Goodyear Eagle 3s on the back and Bridgestone Potenzas on the front. I found that reducing the pressures from 35PSI has improved the ride, reduced bump steer and tramlining significantly.

correct, but dropping pressures on track as I am sure you know is because of heat generated on track, hence you then check pressures after a session when tyres are hot
You also get into issues were
People fit slick tyres, but aren’t able to ride hard enough to generate the heat required to make them work.
Also then need tyre warmers to avoid the heat cycle issues.
It’s an interesting subject that I learnt through talking to tyre and suspension gurus on track days.
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

noiseboy72

Non-RFT pressures

Post by noiseboy72 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:36 pm

From what I gather, tyre pressures will go up about 4-6 PSI for a 20 degree rise in carcass temperature - which is all you will get outside of F1 and the like. F1 need to control the ride height very precisely for the aero to work correctly, hence why 0.5PSI could be 1/10 second at some tracks. Not an issue with a road car and on mine the ride height did not change at all with the difference in pressures.

The lower pressures allow more flex and better bump absorption with the main loser being fuel economy. I do wonder whether this is why quite high pressures do get specified...
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

ihadablackdog

Non-RFT pressures

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Just had new non-rft Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 all round on 225/40/18 and 255/35/18

And set pressures to 2.6bar in front and 2.7 in rear (always thought it was better to go slightly over the pressures on the sticker).

This works out almost 38psi on front and just over 39psi on the rear.

Reading this thread now makes me think they are going to pop!

Being the thicko that I am, was any “average” agreed? I.e 34/36 etc? Don’t want them to wear unevenly and quickly.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Non-RFT pressures

Post by patriot66 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:44 pm

ihadablackdog wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:56 pm Just had new non-rft Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 all round on 225/40/18 and 255/35/18

And set pressures to 2.6bar in front and 2.7 in rear (always thought it was better to go slightly over the pressures on the sticker).

This works out almost 38psi on front and just over 39psi on the rear.

Reading this thread now makes me think they are going to pop!

Being the thicko that I am, was any “average” agreed? I.e 34/36 etc? Don’t want them to wear unevenly and quickly.
That's very high in my opinion. I have the same size non-rft tyres and run them at 2.1 bar front and 2.3 bar rear. The car rides well, grip is excellent and they wear evenly across the tread. :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !