Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Uniroyals

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Uniroyals

Post by mr wilks » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Joneeboy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm
KERMIT1970 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 am There good enough tyres but don’t wear well. You’ll get half the mileage you’ll get out mps4. :thumbsup:
Hi Kermit. What sort of mileage did you get from the RS3s? Thanks for your input.
I have read on tyre sites & heard a few stories of how fast RS3s wear down but to ger a true gauge you would need a similar car similar drive style .
I had a new set of 225 40 18 fitted to my workhorse Astravan 18months ago , fwd it gets hammered :cry: i'l be swapping them out in the next 6 weeks before the MOT in Jan , currently evenly measured 3mm across both tyres & just over 16k covered .
This is a mix of mway , backroads & town driving including almost 8k commuting to & through the Lakes for a spell so thoroughly heat cycled ( also heard complaints they don't perform once pushed hard but I can't say I noticed any deterioration in grip at any point)
Id happily fit them to any car i owned , in the wet & damp ive not experienced a tyre like them & that goes for MPSS which as many will know arent great on damp cold roads until fully warmed
Last edited by mr wilks on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Joneeboy

Uniroyals

Post by Joneeboy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:58 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm
Joneeboy wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:38 pm
KERMIT1970 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 am There good enough tyres but don’t wear well. You’ll get half the mileage you’ll get out mps4. :thumbsup:
Hi Kermit. What sort of mileage did you get from the RS3s? Thanks for your input.
I have read on tyre sites & heard a few stories of how fast RS3s & i guess to have a true gauge you would need a similar car similar drive style .
I had a new set of 225 40 18 fitted to my workhorse Astravan 18months ago , fwd it gets hammered :cry: i'l be swapping them out in the next 6 weeks before the MOT in Jan , currently evenly measured 3mm across both tyres & just over 16k covered .
This is a mix of mway , backroads & town driving including almost 8k commuting to & through the Lakes for a spell so thoroughly heated cycled .
Id happily fit them to any car i owned , in the wet & damp ive not experienced a tyre like them & that goes for MPSS which as many will know arent great on damp cold roads until fully warmed
That sounds pretty good mileage, Mr Wilks, considering the abuse that commercial vehicles get on a daily basis..With your testimony, I'm being swayed more and more. Plus, considering my mileage will be around 3-4k a year, it would fit in with mileage/age related changeovers. Thanks Mr Wilks. :thumbsup:

Lazza

Uniroyals

Post by Lazza » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Fancy chipping in on the Non-RFT Pressures thread Senore Wilks? It does relate to Uniroyal Rainsport 3 after all :thumbsup:
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Lazza

Uniroyals

Post by Lazza » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Early update time. Yesterday after fitting and this morning it felt a bit unstable and not particularly confidence inspiring. Checked the pressures. Front 36/39 rear 38/40.
Adjusted down to F34 R36 and a massive improvement! As well as being much quieter and smoother, it’s starting to feel nice & grippy. The tyres still need to scrub in so I’ll update again in a week but so far it’s looking like good news!
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Wokingham Berkshire

Lazza

Uniroyals

Post by Lazza » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 pm

Another update. Tyre pressures are still at 34/36. I might tweak them a bit but that’s pretty close to his they will end up.
They have scrubbed in now and are feeling much trippier now. Initially they felt a bit unpredictable but most of that was the pressures and moreso, wearing off the releasing agent and putti g a few hear-cycles through them.
The feeling now is that there is little difference between driving on dry or wet roads. Even driving home yesterday in a downpour, with a lot of standing water, they felt fine. Pretty happy with them! :driving:
I’ll update again when we get a bit of frost and I see what they are like on cold roads.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Wokingham Berkshire

Gazza51

Uniroyals

Post by Gazza51 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:13 pm

Good to hear, I like them on my 335i 👍🏻
Current - Z4 MC, M3 CSL, S54 Z3MR, Z1.

Joneeboy

Uniroyals

Post by Joneeboy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Lazza wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 pm Another update. Tyre pressures are still at 34/36. I might tweak them a bit but that’s pretty close to his they will end up.
They have scrubbed in now and are feeling much trippier now. Initially they felt a bit unpredictable but most of that was the pressures and moreso, wearing off the releasing agent and putti g a few hear-cycles through them.
The feeling now is that there is little difference between driving on dry or wet roads. Even driving home yesterday in a downpour, with a lot of standing water, they felt fine. Pretty happy with them! :driving:
I’ll update again when we get a bit of frost and I see what they are like on cold roads.
Hi Lazza. How are the RS3s? Still happy with them?

Lazza

Uniroyals

Post by Lazza » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Joneeboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 pm
Lazza wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 pm Another update. Tyre pressures are still at 34/36. I might tweak them a bit but that’s pretty close to his they will end up.
Yes, still happy with them. In fact it’s odd but they actually seem to feel better on wet roads than dry! I haven’t had any problem at all with the recent cold & wet weather.
One thing I’m not so keen on is that the steering is now a fair bit lighter than it was. I have got used to it now but I would prefer a bit more weight and feedback. I think it’s due to the softer sidewalls.
I have adjusted the pressures up a touch to F36 R38 and that feels like it might be around the sweet-spot.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Wokingham Berkshire

Joneeboy

Uniroyals

Post by Joneeboy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am

Lazza wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:55 pm
Joneeboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:09 pm
Yes, still happy with them. In fact it’s odd but they actually seem to feel better on wet roads than dry! I haven’t had any problem at all with the recent cold & wet weather.
One thing I’m not so keen on is that the steering is now a fair bit lighter than it was. I have got used to it now but I would prefer a bit more weight and feedback. I think it’s due to the softer sidewalls.
I have adjusted the pressures up a touch to F36 R38 and that feels like it might be around the sweet-spot.
Thanks, Lazza. All good info! :thumbsup: