Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

215 55 16

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
road warrior

215 55 16

Post by road warrior » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 pm

it dont mention it so i wondered if 215 55 16 tyres would be ok, i know it will alter the gearing a little but im not too concerned about that. binning the run flats for a bit of comfort is my goal.
i have checked and it will add 1mph on real terms @ 60mph
comments ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

215 55 16

Post by Smartbear » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:59 pm

road warrior wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 pm it dont mention it so i wondered if 215 55 16 tyres would be ok, i know it will alter the gearing a little but im not too concerned about that. binning the run flats for a bit of comfort is my goal.
i have checked and it will add 1mph on real terms @ 60mph
comments ?
Any particular reason for that size as opposed to the factory sizes? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

road warrior

215 55 16

Post by road warrior » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 pm

yes, i have found some tyres at a silly price that are a and b rated .. otherwise no
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

215 55 16

Post by road warrior » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:44 pm

judging by the amount of folk that have read this post without comment i think we are in the realms of QI and ... nobody knows..... ! and yes given the option i would have gone 215/50/16. but tyre makers dont make tyres in all sizes,and some manufacturers make specific sizes only, so lets see shall we....
If i find myself in a hedge as a result i will report back to the great and good eh. :thumbsup:
I remember having a lexus soarer with strange sizes as specified and having probs finding tyres for less than 100 quid a corner 20 years ago ..
i currently am the proud owner of yokohama runflats that were stretched over the unsuspecting 16" alloys by virtue of the previous owner that has the comfort and handling of a household brick, combined with the stopping abilities of cardboard. I feel sure i can improve on that. :D As i live in burton on trent the council spends its efforts on making beer and not on repairing the roads. :rofl:

road warrior

215 55 16

Post by road warrior » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:08 am

update.. im very happy with my new tyres.. without driving silly i can say they have a grip like a toddler on a bag of sweets. very comfortable with wear rating of 320 and a very comfortable price too - 171 for 4 . happy days :driving:

kis
Lifer
Lifer

215 55 16

Post by kis » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 am

Glad you like them! If it were me I wouldn't have bought new boots for the 16's! I'd have my eyes set on upgrades! :evil:

I went from running a set of winter wheels (not winter tyres!) with runflats on Style 104 alloys (16's) to 17" non runflats and even with the reduced sidewall... well everything improved (grip, handling, comfort, noise, etc.)

At the moment I'm back on 18's and to be honest, can't really tell the difference between the 17 and 18. The only thing that's definitely different is now I've not got any tyre squeal when I'm cornering hard and fast.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

road warrior

215 55 16

Post by road warrior » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:46 am

Maybe I failed to say I also have a set of wheels and tyres on 18inch as well with a full tread but runflats. That are also marked m&s so I have a dilemma as to what use over winter. As I say I am very happy with cheap 16" as they are also great at cornering with no squeal as I tested them again last night on a very tight long bend for no reason other than I felt like it again, still looking for the breakaway point. :driving:
My point being that it very much depends on the tyre itself.