Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
kis
Lifer
Lifer

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by kis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:56 am

Morning all,

I've pulled some relatively new Uniroyals off the Mini and while they're quite worn they've still got useable life BUT I've noticed some early signs of cracking. Other than the usual tyre storage/more frequent use, away from sunlight, away from chemicals etc. is there any product available to help/reduce the occurance in the first place (the Z4 in mind) as the tyres are obviously more expensive to replace.

The only thing I've found is this: 303 Tire Balm & Protectant

Anything better out there? Or anything you use already?

:thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

exdos

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by exdos » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 am

What is the date mark on the tyres? It's a 4 digit code with the first 2 digits being the week number and the last 2 digits being the year. A few years ago I was sold some 5+ year old tyres as brand new, since then I always ask to see the date code before any new tyres are fitted to my car.

Keeping tyres out of sunlight (i.e. indoors) is the only effective way of preventing tyre rubber suffering cracking from exposure to UV light as well as regular use of the tyres.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by kis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 am

The ones in question are 2016 I think, so not old at all.

I'm thinking anything I can do (with them left outside and on the car) to reduce or prevent their deterioration will be good.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

exdos

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by exdos » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am

If you have to leave the car outside and it's somewhere safe, you could cut some pieces of marine plywood to a similar shape as the wheel arch and put them besides the wheel so that they act as screens. Alternatively, you could make some covers to fit over the wheels from canvas that you could use. I expect there are companies that manufacture these things.

BeeEmm

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by BeeEmm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Kis,
The best product that I have found (and I have tried a few) is this, https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/tuf-shine-tyre-shine-kit This is a kit which contains everything you need to clean of all previous silicone-based dressings beforehand (preparation is everything). It protects the rubber, rather than just coating it. It lasts for at least five months on a daily driver and I used it on 4 sets of tyres that I stored for over a year. The rubber was honestly as good as the day I applied it.

If you don't want to spend too much money, I have two bottles of Zaino Z16 Tyre Gloss you can have for the cost of postage. Not as good as above though.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by kis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi BeeEmm that's very generous of you. I may well take you up on that!

I've read your detailed, car detail a few months back. It's very good. Have you tried BH Auto-Wheel? As I'm thinking of getting this myself, I noted you used quite a few of BH's products.

When you wash the car in-between the 5 month tyre treatments, how do you clean them? Just normal car shampoo? Or would you use the specific tyre cleaner?
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by kis » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:46 pm

exdos wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:25 am If you have to leave the car outside and it's somewhere safe, you could cut some pieces of marine plywood to a similar shape as the wheel arch and put them besides the wheel so that they act as screens. Alternatively, you could make some covers to fit over the wheels from canvas that you could use. I expect there are companies that manufacture these things.
Hi exdos , not really the route I want to go down. The car will obviously still be used and left on a public road, although a physcal barrier would prevent UV exposure, I'm after some sort of a product to help maintain a tyre. I'm envisiging having to pop out after it's rained and the pain of putting dirty screens in the boot :cry:
Thanks for the suggestion tho :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

1 Series - E87
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

BeeEmm

Reduce Tyre Cracking

Post by BeeEmm » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 am

kis wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm Hi BeeEmm that's very generous of you. I may well take you up on that!

I've read your detailed, car detail a few months back. It's very good. Have you tried BH Auto-Wheel? As I'm thinking of getting this myself, I noted you used quite a few of BH's products.

When you wash the car in-between the 5 month tyre treatments, how do you clean them? Just normal car shampoo? Or would you use the specific tyre cleaner?
Kis, I have not used Bilt Hamber's Auto-Wheel although I do use quite a few of their products. I prefer to use SwissVax Autobahn wax for the wheels.

With the tyres coated I only have to gently wash them with normal car shampoo. 'Tuf Shine' feeds the rubber, unlike other products I have used, which simply coat the tyre and wear of after a week or two.

I read your article viewtopic.php?f=49&t=107556 which is extremely interesting and helpful. As a little pay back I will send the Zaino products FOC. PM your address.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?