Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Using Summer Tyres throughout Winter

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Frankie169

Post by Frankie169 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 am

Recently picked up my Z4 and looking at the whole tyre subject on the forum.

I was going to buy some winter tyres/wheels on sale here but fell through due to logistics etc.

I am now looking at putting a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1s on as the car currently runs mega cheap tyres so first priority is replace those with the Eagles.

I don’t intend using the car in the snow, sleet etc as it’s my second car ( use my repmodile for that) so question is, does anyone else in the forum use summer tyres all year round? And if so what’s the best compromise or are Eagles ok for winter ie just wet roads 10 degrees temp etc.
Toys: Z4 E89 35i in Blue / Ducati Multistrada 1260 DVT + love my watches

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 am

I use Eagle F1s throughout the winter, great all rounder especially good in the wet. Crap in snow, although maybe that is the car!
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:45 am

I use summer tyres all year round. It can get a little hairy in standing water but I’d put that down to the width of my wheels (8.5 and 9.5) before putting too much blame on the tyres. I only use the car in the evenings and at the weekend so personally can’t justify it.

If I had storage for a set of winter wheels I’d 100% get a set of winter rubber, but that would only be to keep my current wheels salt free.

I’m using Vredstein Ultrac Vorti's and would highly reccomend them for dry grip, noise and so on... much better than the RF bridgestones that bmw fit but then anything non run flat would be better.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am

Silverzedtom wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:45 am I use summer tyres all year round. It can get a little hairy in standing water but I’d put that down to the width of my wheels (8.5 and 9.5) before putting too much blame on the tyres. I only use the car in the evenings and at the weekend so personally can’t justify it.

If I had storage for a set of winter wheels I’d 100% get a set of winter rubber, but that would only be to keep my current wheels salt free.

I’m using Vredstein Ultrac Vorti's and would highly reccomend them for dry grip, noise and so on... much better than the RF bridgestones that bmw fit but then anything non run flat would be better.
You really need winters where you live if we get any snow. Not a single piece of level ground in Crowborough

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:58 am

Have you considered all season tyres instead? If I was going to use any BMW through the winter I'd be putting on a set of these to use all year round rather than have the hassle of storing and swapping tyres/wheels.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 am

srhutch wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:50 am
You really need winters where you live if we get any snow. Not a single piece of level ground in Crowborough
I agree, luckily the girlfirend’s Beat up old Micra is on snow duty. I wouldn’t fancy taking the zed out in snow even with winters :cry: It would make a good snow plough though :D
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 am

I used to use the MC all year round on PS2s and then SuperSports.

Did about 25k miles a year on them, for 5 years, in all weathers, and never got stuck...although I didn’t leave the house if it was standing snow.

Have all season Michelin CrossClimates on the current diesel daily...but I wouldn’t put them on the MC for normal use as I think they’d last about 1,000 miles :P

Got around ‘fine’ during this...
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:05 pm

it’s stopping & avoidance you’ll really notice the difference rather than acting like a sledge.

Also a good excuse to examine the tyres for nails, damage & poorboys the inside properly... if your Zed isn’t a garage Queen.
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:16 pm

I have GY Eagle F1s on my RS4. I managed to skid half a mile down a snow covered hill on Exmoor last winter before slithering to an undignified halt in the gutter, unable to go back up and not able to continue down with any control over the car. Whilst I was waiting for my mate to rescue me, a Discovery slid past me with all four wheels locked. My mate was happily able to drive up and down snow and ice covered hills in his Subaru Forester shod with winter tyres holding the wheel in one hand and a coffee in the other...
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I have MPS Sports on all year round. Need to get them warm in the winter, but once warm they work just fine. :thumbsup:

I have been out a few times on Dartmoor, when it has been frozen. They are scary useless, bum Puckering things in such conditions. :oops:
Last edited by buzyg on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ERX

Post by ERX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I think you're better off with summer tyres, even in winter. You only really need winter tyres if it snows. Of course, be careful if it is icy though

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm

I bought a set of winters in 2015 for my E46 and fitted them every November for 3 years. Until I sold it this March we never really had any bad weather. Maybe less than 5 degrees but no snow or ice.

Then I picked up an E91 to replace it and the Beast from the East arrived! I couldn't believe how good it was in that based on previous RWD experiences in snow - but then it was on winters! :)

Which meant in May I had to find a set of summers for it. :lol:

Anyway after that experience I'll just keep fitting winters every year all the time I run an RWD car.

But if the weather is like that my Z4 just gets a rest - no point tempting fate!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm I bought a set of winters in 2015 for my E46 and fitted them every November for 3 years. Until I sold it this March we never really had any bad weather. Maybe less than 5 degrees but no snow or ice.

Then I picked up an E91 to replace it and the Beast from the East arrived! I couldn't believe how good it was in that based on previous RWD experiences in snow - but then it was on winters! :)

Anyway after that experience I'll just keep fitting winters every year all the time I run an RWD car.

But if the weather is like that my Z4 just gets a rest - no point tempting fate!
+1 ... mine will hibernate for 4-6 months
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Jembo wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:40 pm
Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 pm I bought a set of winters in 2015 for my E46 and fitted them every November for 3 years. Until I sold it this March we never really had any bad weather. Maybe less than 5 degrees but no snow or ice.

+1 ... mine will hibernate for 4-6 months
Well mine doesn't actually hibernate (after all my RFL is "only" Band K, not Band M - sadly) but I only take it out on the good days!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 pm

Back to the original question. If you're not going to drive the Zed in snow and sleet, and given that you live in a warmer part of the UK, I don't understand why you would even think about winter tyres. I'd save the cash and spend it on petrol when it's dry and sunny! :)
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)