Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Puncture repair on a run flat?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Fordo

Post by Fordo » Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am

Only just bought me car, and notice yesterday one of the rears looked low - checked, zero psi. The run flat detection system didn't work, so presumably wasn't calibrated.

I have no idea how far I've gone on it - i drove quite gently around yesterday, enjoying the sun. It's kind of impressive what run flats do really, i couldn't tell I had a puncture at all

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Mon May 28, 2018 11:23 am

They can be repaired if the sidewall is sound but if its been driven completely flat I doubt it will be repairable
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Had a run flat repaired in the past as long as it's not near the side wall (Mine was a nail in the middle of the tread and cost about £25). Main dealers and major tyre places won't touch them and will try to sell you new ones. Take it to an Indy and hopefully it will save you a lot of money.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm

It will be goosed if driven on flat for any more than a few miles . once removed there will be a crease where tread meets sidewall along with rubber dust inside , i wouldn't want to risk driving on it at any reasonable speed , bitter pill but time for a replacement :cry:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 28, 2018 9:52 pm

Shame you missed it OP - I had a Pirelli RFT on my 1 Series repaired for £10 a few years ago (which was a big relief)!

But as has been said if an RFT is driven flat it is scrap. :(
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Fordo

Post by Fordo » Mon May 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Balls - It's probably beyond repair then. - I'm lucky enough to have a tyre place opposite, so i'll at least get them to have a look.

Fordo

Post by Fordo » Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 pm

It was goosed - The inside was full of crumbs of rubber!

Two new non run flat's it'll be.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 pm

mr wilks wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:45 pm It will be goosed if driven on flat for any more than a few miles . once removed there will be a crease where tread meets sidewall along with rubber dust inside , i wouldn't want to risk driving on it at any reasonable speed , bitter pill but time for a replacement :cry:
This. Look out for a running crease along the inside of the tyre.

IRD

Post by IRD » Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Just had the same problem on my 330d on a trip to the Lake District. New tyre £225. I was told that although it is possible to repair a runflat, once it is repaired, It is no longer classed as a runflat. In the event of an accident there could be insurance issues. Had a word with my local tyre place and they confirmed they won’t repair them. So even if you find someone to carry out a repair I wouldn’t take the chance.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Thu May 31, 2018 6:35 pm

I’ve got one before, maybe last year or before? I noticed it straight away when I was at work (could hear it). Must have picked it up on the industrial estate road. The guy said it was a pallet nail so makes sense.

Drove it straight over to the tyre place down the road. They repaired it because you could still hear the air escaping but obviously advised I get a new one if possible.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu May 31, 2018 10:05 pm

Interesting thread.

When I got my puncture in my 123d it only triggered the light about 2 miles from home, so it still had plenty of pressure in it. I pumped it right up (slightly over pressure) before I drove 5 or so miles to the tyre place that repaired it and they didn't say anything about it not being considered a runflat any more. I was pleased because it was barely half-worn!

Anyway I had it on the car for another 11K miles with no issues, and that included some fairly spirited driving at times! :oops:

Mind you it was a Pirelli - they do seem much better than the horrible Bridgestones!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Surfwooder

Post by Surfwooder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:26 pm

I've had 2 repairs done on my wifes run flats. Both separate tires, both fixes were done with a internal patch. Tires, including RFTs can be plugged to repair a nail hole. But, this method weakens the internal threads in the tire. My wife used tire gunk to repair a nail hole, and ruined the tire monitor in the tire. It had to be replaced or the entire system would not work. The cost was only about $80.00 for the monitor.