Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Where are people getting their wheels refurbed?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:00 am

Prices I'm interested in mostly :thumbsup:

Mine aren't bad, just the odd paint chipping here and there so I'm wondering what sort of price I'm looking at just to get them powder coated or whatever they do, and who people recommend? I'm up in Greater Manchester / Lancashire area (literally on the border and we can't seem to make our minds up where we belong), but I know there are companies online that seem to span the country.

I guess wheel size and type plays a part so maybe people aren't able to estimate the cost, but who you use and roughly the going rate is enough.

In case it helps, these are mine 19" BBS Reps, I just want the faces redone.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:20 am

Hi, normal 19” alloys are anywhere from £250 to £350ish depending on finish and greed of the company :D
Split rims like yours are normally higher priced because of the disassembly required, yours look practically unmarked?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:25 am

I am looking at city wheels in Zbrum as a few of the guys on here have said that they do a good job for a reasonable cost. There are on my other half so X3 and will be looking at a drive in , on the morning and done by the same evening. I think they start at £20 per wheel if no tyre is fitted but don't know about split rims.

Link below
https://www.citywheelrefurbishment.co.uk/faq

Done know how far they are from you
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:33 am

Zoomer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:25 am I am looking at city wheels in Zbrum as a few of the guys on here have said that they do a good job for a reasonable cost. There are on my other half so X3 and will be looking at a drive in , on the morning and done by the same evening. I think they start at £20 per wheel if no tyre is fitted but don't know about split rims.

Link below

Yes, but +£10 per wheel same day and plus £10 per wheel for tyre off & on.
They're great but only if you can give them a bare wheel and wait a week or two
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:38 am

You are correct but my local place is £240 for standard colours on one piece wheels and on 19s I with hyper silver I think they are about £340. These guys are £45 per wheel drive in drive out same day I think but I need to check if they are still economical for 19s in hyper silver/ shadow chrome. If anyone know any good deals in the Midlands/ northwest please let me know.
Sterling Grey 3.0i E85 Black Heated Leather M sports seats , 224's ,Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Xenons, PDC, Gaptech ,Cruise and a nice warm garage. NOW GONE
Silver 3.0i Z4 NOW GONE

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 am

Speak to Mr Wilks, he's in your area an must have a good powder coater on speed dial
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:08 am

Smartbear wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:20 am Hi, normal 19” alloys are anywhere from £250 to £350ish depending on finish and greed of the company :D
Split rims like yours are normally higher priced because of the disassembly required, yours look practically unmarked?
Rob
That's the good wheel :lol:
Rear passenger has a few chips and all of them could do with some touching up around the wheel bolts from having them on and off so much, I've done a bit myself with some touch up paint but getting a match for that colour is literally impossible! I've tried loads.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 am

Zoomer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:25 am I am looking at city wheels in Zbrum as a few of the guys on here have said that they do a good job for a reasonable cost. There are on my other half so X3 and will be looking at a drive in , on the morning and done by the same evening. I think they start at £20 per wheel if no tyre is fitted but don't know about split rims.

Link below

Thank's for the link, I've heard about that place so it's good to hear about recommendations. I've no problem having the wheels off for a week or so, Brum is about an hour and a half away.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:42 am

I use f1 alloys in Chester, always done tight by me :thumbsup:

As mentioned above though Mr Wilks must have a good guy more local to you as he has a fair few sets go through
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am

The reps don't come apart so you won't be going the powdercoat route unless you want the whole wheel doing the same finish :?
You need a decent wheel refurb place that will polish / lacquer the rim & wet paint the centre & it can get expensive to the point where selling the set whilst they look presentable becomes the better option :(
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RickRob » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am

I’ve been quoted £312 inc. VAT to get my 224s refurbed in stock silver colour. That was from Primo Alloys in Guildford recommended on here by WRS. I realise that Guildford is no good for you, but it provides a price point.

Going to pull the trigger on getting this done any day now. :)
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:27 am

RickRob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am I’ve been quoted £312 inc. VAT to get my 224s refurbed in stock silver colour. That was from Primo Alloys in Guildford recommended on here by WRS. I realise that Guildford is no good for you, but it provides a price point.

£312 :? so glad i live oooop norf :P
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

RickRob wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:25 am I’ve been quoted £312 inc. VAT to get my 224s refurbed in stock silver colour. That was from Primo Alloys in Guildford recommended on here by WRS. I realise that Guildford is no good for you, but it provides a price point.

Yikes, I thought my local place in Newbury was expensive....

You could have them done at Citywheels for £80 if they are off the car and without tyres, and the cost difference would easily cover the shipping cost (or fuel for a couple of trips up to Brum).

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm

rally-chris wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm
Yikes, I thought my local place in Newbury was expensive....

You could have them done at Citywheels for £80 if they are off the car and without tyres, and the cost difference would easily cover the shipping cost (or fuel for a couple of trips up to Brum).

Chris
Interesting - I've got a set of 224s that need doing.

I thought about Citywheels, but as it would involve 2 round trips to Brum I went off the idea.

Chris, I would be interested to hear about who you used, cost and results - Newbury isn't that far away!

If you'd rather not reply in public view a pm would be really helpful!

Cheers, Iain.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 pm

mr wilks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am The reps don't come apart so you won't be going the powdercoat route unless you want the whole wheel doing the same finish :?
You need a decent wheel refurb place that will polish / lacquer the rim & wet paint the centre & it can get expensive to the point where selling the set whilst they look presentable becomes the better option :(
Hmm that's good to know, thanks. What are the chances of masking and getting a good enough finish going down the ol' manual route? I suppose the bolts can be replaced so it's effectively just a case of masking off the polished rim?

The guy who sold them to me said he'd "just had them done in gunmetal" which is a term I assume means 'I'VE just painted them' or 'They came in gunmetal' as I doubt he'd go to the expense of a professional job just to sell on. Beside's which, I can't find a single 'gunmetal', graphite or anthracite that comes close. Closest I got was Black-Grey.