Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre comparison

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
S26-UkZed

Tyre comparison

Post by S26-UkZed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm I've always used Michelin Uhp summer tyres generally.

Is it because they're better than others? I'm sure I've never pushed them to their limits to know, but what kind can do is read reviews that put them top in the situations where you really need that grip; emergency braking.

This, added to the fact they wear really, really well, makes them a no brainer at £30 a tyre more than "midrange" options. A friend has got over 15k out of a set of rears on an E46 M3 and still has 3mm left, can't say fairer than that!
Michelin are undoubtedly one the best tyres, but for the small increase in grip and drivability they would have to be capable of mileages in excess of 35k to cover double the price difference of KU39s and become more cost effective for your average Z4 driver, bearing in mind that for the majority they would last in excess of 8yrs, who wants rubber on that long, so if money is no object for tyres then Michellin it is but i'll stick with the Khumo KU39 at half the cost, they seem to manage with this brand in formula 3 so i'll let you all know if the reviews are wrong and they end up being ditch finders.

S26-UkZed

Tyre comparison

Post by S26-UkZed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:30 pm I've always used Michelin Uhp summer tyres generally.

Is it because they're better than others? I'm sure I've never pushed them to their limits to know, but what kind can do is read reviews that put them top in the situations where you really need that grip; emergency braking.

This, added to the fact they wear really, really well, makes them a no brainer at £30 a tyre more than "midrange" options. A friend has got over 15k out of a set of rears on an E46 M3 and still has 3mm left, can't say fairer than that!
Michelin are undoubtedly one the best tyres, but for the small increase in grip and drivability they would have to be capable of mileages in excess of 35k to cover double the price difference of KU39s and become more cost effective for your average Z4 driver, bearing in mind that for the majority they would last in excess of 8yrs, who wants rubber on that long, so if money is no object for tyres then Michellin it is but i'll stick with the Khumo KU39 at half the cost, they seem to manage with this brand in formula 3 so i'll let you all know if the reviews are wrong and they end up being ditch finders.

mjennings23

Tyre comparison

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:17 pm

S26-UkZed wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 pm

On a quick comparison for front tyres only, the PS4 can be had for £90 and the KU39 is £68. Rears £125 vs £90. I'm not sure how that equates to double the price as you said?

However, cost effectiveness is not the way I buy tyres. I want the best I can afford for that one chance I might need an emergency stop on a sodden wet road, where lesser tyres would give longer stopping distances or worse begin aquaplaning.

Not saying there is anything wrong with Kumho tyres, I'd also say that them producing tyres for a motorsport series has about as much relevance to road tyres as Michelin producing a restaurant guide, they're totally different applications.

RickZ4

Tyre comparison

Post by RickZ4 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Just to resurrect this thread, my Goodyear F1 A3's are nearly down to to the bar...

Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Primacy 4 or CrossClimate+?
07 2.5i Sport Auto

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Tyre comparison

Post by mmm-five » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm

RickZ4 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:37 pm Just to resurrect this thread, my Goodyear F1 A3's are nearly down to to the bar...

Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Primacy 4 or CrossClimate+?
Not on a Z4.

Got the CrossClimate+ on a FWD Alfa and they're great, but they're not a performance summer tyre like the Goodyear F1A-3.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options