Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Michelin PS4 bulge

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:45 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Pondrew wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:12 pm
Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:24 pm Pondrew,

(and I'm not even Scottish) :)

And after that comment, let you take the £157 hit :lol:
That was more for FF', but hey, you know me I can offend pretty much anyone at anytime. It's a gift. :lol: :poke:
It's why I am the official (according to Pbondar) cultural attache.
Aye, and what’s worse is he quoted it in his response and never even commented on it :rcard:
He's pre-occupied; too busy getting up people's noses on the jab thread (again) :o :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:49 pm

bakes100 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:10 pm I had the same with a Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 a few years ago, contacted them about it and got pretty much exactly the same response.

It just appeared one day after driving around 5 miles home from work, no potholes etc.
Problem is we can't prove it one way or the other, and they will know that. They don't take the tyres away, they rely on a form and couple of pictures from the tyre garage.

In my response to them I said that if I can't drive with those tyres on UK roads as they may fail at any time if it is anything but billiard table smooth, then they are not fit for purpose.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Nictrix » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm

Maybe it would have been different if you had actually bought the tyres yourself and therefore would have a receipt with a purchase date etc.
You bought a second hand car that already had the tyres fitted.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Flyingfifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Flyingfifer » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:12 pm That was more for FF', but hey, you know me I can offend pretty much anyone at anytime. It's a gift. :lol: :poke:
One I value and admire :thumbsup: :rofl:
2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:27 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:42 pm Maybe it would have been different if you had actually bought the tyres yourself and therefore would have a receipt with a purchase date etc.
You bought a second hand car that already had the tyres fitted.
The fact that the failed (read damaged) tyre had 6mm of tread and they have 7mm new (I checked), must mean they have not done many miles. By the response email I don't think it would have made any difference. If they are pointing toward accidental damage, it could happen at any time.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:59 pm

Got a response from Michelin this morning after me emailing them yesterday that I was not happy.
They want photos and the tyre to inspect.
I phoned the tyre place who swapped them to find out what the situation is. Their procedure was that they sent the tyre with the claim form to their central hub for both to be collected by Michelin. I got copied in to all the internal emails of the tyre company (Central Tyre AKA Stapletons who have been really helpful) to find out where the tyre is and what they did.
Turns out the claim was submitted online and Michelin didn't want the tyre or photos. Therefore it was going to be a rejection no matter what. I now have this information for future use, if needed.
The tyre company still have the tyre and are going to send it back to my local branch for me to inspect, take photos, send these to Michelin and they can then collect the tyre.
We shall see...

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Flyingfifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Flyingfifer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:59 pm Got a response from Michelin this morning after me emailing them yesterday that I was not happy.
I phoned the tyre place who swapped them to find out what the situation is. Their procedure was that they sent the tyre with the claim form to their central hub for both to be collected by Michelin. I got copied in to all the internal emails of the tyre company (Central Tyre AKA Stapletons who have been really helpful) to find out where the tyre is and what they did.
Turns out the claim was submitted online and Michelin didn't want the tyre or photos. Therefore it was going to be a rejection no matter what. I now have this information for future use, if needed.
The tyre company still have the tyre and are going to send it back to my local branch for me to inspect, take photos, send these to Michelin and they can then collect the tyre.
We shall see...
Good Man!
Never take the first no.. or the second :P

gobowept

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by gobowept » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:59 pm Got a response from Michelin this morning after me emailing them yesterday that I was not happy.
We shall see...
Hope it turns out well for you.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 pm

gobowept wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm Hope it turns out well for you.
Thanks matey. I don't hold out a lot of hope.
I inspected the tyre this morning and took some photos that have gone off to Michelin. There are 3 or 4 areas with scuff marks on the inside of the tyre, as well as the bulge, which seems strange. The bulge has disappeared because it has been sitting around a while with no weight or pressure on it.
IMG_8270.JPG
IMG_8270.JPG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
IMG_8271.JPG
IMG_8271.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
IMG_8269.JPG
IMG_8269.JPG (91.09 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
IMG_8268.JPG
IMG_8268.JPG (81.29 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG (114.56 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Zed Baron

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Zed Baron » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:25 pm

I hit a big pothole a couple of years ago and then noticed a couple of days later a massive bulge in one of the rear tyres (Pirellis), I'm just glad the alloy didn't crack.

Flyingfifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 pm
gobowept wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:32 pm Hope it turns out well for you.
Thanks matey. I don't hold out a lot of hope.
I inspected the tyre this morning and took some photos that have gone off to Michelin. There are 3 or 4 areas with scuff marks on the inside of the tyre, as well as the bulge, which seems strange. The bulge has disappeared because it has been sitting around a while with no weight or pressure on it.
IMG_8270.JPGIMG_8271.JPGIMG_8269.JPGIMG_8268.JPGIMG_8265.JPG
The internal scuffing is likely from the garage or wherever it ended up they probably gave it a wipe down

That last image though does suggest that there isnt any obvious external damage even scuffing on the tyre which would lean credibility to the argument that this wasnt cased by damage and instead is a failure of manufacturing

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Flyingfifer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:31 pm The internal scuffing is likely from the garage or wherever it ended up they probably gave it a wipe down
The garage are the ones who circled the internal scuffs with chalk. They pointed them out to me.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Flyingfifer

Michelin PS4 bulge

Post by Flyingfifer » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 pm
Flyingfifer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:31 pm The internal scuffing is likely from the garage or wherever it ended up they probably gave it a wipe down
The garage are the ones who circled the internal scuffs with chalk. They pointed them out to me.
Hmmmm, damage when it was being fitted maybe? :idunno: