Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Conversion of USA E89 to European Rear Fog Lights

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
dirklagos

Post by dirklagos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 am

I have a 2009 E89 bought in USA, and now in Portugal. I need to have rear fog lights installed to comply with European laws for import. I have purchased and installed the European headlight switch with fog light button, but not working. I took it to BMW in Portugal, but they could not solve the problem and won't get much help from BMW Germany as it is a market protection strategy. My BMW dealer says he can get the rear lights to respond correctly with the computer, but how to switch on? I have read read that the USA models have only 6 wires from the switch compared to European models of 7 wires, but not sure. Maybe another wire & reprogramming? I have read many forums about similar requirements but I have never read that someone has offered what the final solution can be. Can anybody help?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:53 am

Why not just hard wire the lights and find out if the switch can be adapted and forget any integration with the cars electrics or computer.