Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD Scanner - Which app?

How-To articles are in here.
Pbondar

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Pbondar » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Cees Klumper wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:10 pm
belljul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am
Cees Klumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm ... I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc.
Hi... So did that work to program the roof and fold mirrors etc too? I already have an obd2 reader which works fine on Bluetooth... But I really need something that can program the roof etc... Do I really need to but a Carly or can I use my current obd2 reader with some other software?
I have not tried to program the roof or the mirrors, so can't say whether the Foxwell does that. It does seem to do everything I need though.
You’ll need Carly Carista or many bimmercode, doubtful without a PhD you will do it with a basic obd scanner.. :headbang:

R.E92

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by R.E92 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:50 pm
belljul wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:00 am
Cees Klumper wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 pm Apparently Carly now charges an annual 'subscription fee' ($60?). I got a Foxwell 520 handheld scan tool that seems to be able to do most things the Carly full-on app does, including programming, registering the battery etc. You can also load other cars' software for $60 for each additional model car. Reviews are very good and so far I have been able to check all systems, clear a few old codes etc and it seems quite legit to me.
Hi... So did that work to program the roof and fold mirrors etc too? I already have an obd2 reader which works fine on Bluetooth... But I really need something that can program the roof etc... Do I really need to but a Carly or can I use my current obd2 reader with some other software?
I have several, foxwell 520, Carly ISTA and INPA..

The most expensive, least user friendly and most comprehensive are the bmw tools ISTA and INPA...

Foxwell and Carly are partly complementary..neither does a full set of the other...Carly is more cosmetic , foxwell more industrial

Neither are as rich as the bmw tools but much much more user friendly and much less likely to b@gg*r things up.. :thumbsup:

For maintenance related tasks foxwell is generally better, if you want to sequence your Christmas tree whilst braking then Carly.. :rofl:
How did you work that ISTA is the most expensive? The software is "free" and the cost of the cable is £40 for a good one. Did you include the laptop purchase price?

I recently purchased an app called ProTool. It's developed by BimmerGeeks. It's basically the same as the BMW standard tools package on an android phone. It'll code everything Carly can and provide the diagnostic ability of INPA. Really impressed with it, was around £130 for the full license but it's not subscription based and not VIN locked so can be used on any vehicle.

Pbondar

OBD Scanner - Which app?

Post by Pbondar » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi thnx for the news on another option...

I referred to the collective combination of attributes, but yes the BMW require a decent laptop AND a lot of investment in time to learn how to install .use them..if Yuit give your time a value then they are bloody expensive compared to simple systems like foxwell and Carly..anyway that’s my experience..