Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Rattles - some info

How-To articles are in here.
Z4_Gaz

Roof Rattles - some info

Post by Z4_Gaz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:24 am

Roof Rattle - ISTA Technical Info.

As there is precious little technical info for the E89 on the web, I figure the info below may help with identifying and resolving roof rattles.

Note: This info only relates to noise whilst the roof is closed!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Roof Rattles - some info

Post by Maniac » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:13 am

Nice work. A great bit of info that!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 am

Brillant....good starting point for anyone wanting to cure rattles.
There are many bolt heads used to adjust heights, i have fitted rubber pad to each one. All quiet...for now.

jabber
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jabber » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:46 pm

great info
Z less again
14 E89 Z4 2.0 msport grey gone now
10 E89 Z4 3.0 Black auto now. Very sadly gone
Gone 04 E85 z4 3.0 Maldives blue smg

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:33 pm

I had a rattle that seemed to come from the iDrive, but could never pin it down.
So I sprayed Triplewax bumper shine high gloss around and behind the iDrive as best as I could. Product seems to have a lot of silicon in it and as yet hasn't sent the plastic chalky like some products.
Never really liked the stuff on the dash, always reminds me of looking at vehicles that have been lazily valeted at a second hand car garages.
Also sprayed the glove box hinges and damper. Also removed and sprayed the plastic trim above legs in foot wells. Did the dash including the where the trim touches the pillars.
Well touch wood all rattles have vanished. Never had such a quiet cabin. Even to the point I don't have to drop the quarter lights an inch to cure what sounded like squeak from the rear roof.
I have yet to use any product in that area.
Would be useful if the spray came with a nozzle and tube like WD40.

Bob

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Hopefully my last rattle cured.
The roof protector in boot when in the up/open position its held in place by magnets. In this area the plastic trim bumps up against each other. So stuck some velcro, the loop part in this area and that no longer rattles.
Also where the arm pivots at the top, there is an area of plastic to plastic contact, again small piece of velcro loop as cured that rattle.
All discovered because rattle only when the protector was stowed up but not down.

dario

Post by dario » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 pm

I think they must have done all this to mine when it was in plus the wax injection.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:59 pm

I tend to leave my roof tray down to eliminate the chance of any noise from it being in its unsupported held by magnets up position. This and it also minimises that moment you want the roof down and it goes 'Bong, tray isn't down pet, you might want to check that'.