Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Aftermarket MMI - Apple car play from Ali Express - unboxing

How-To articles are in here.
Webless

Post by Webless » Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 am

Hi,

I recently ordered the MMI box recommended by Dave (Z4 Mods) and will be following his YouTube guide to install when the weather improves.

Just thought I would share what the packaging is like, notice as expected it’s not a fancy retail box, installation/user guide was emailed to me shortly after I placed the order.

With Dave's amazing install guide this should be all I need. No sign of any customs fees, just went straight through and turned up at the door 👍 about £170 all in.

Neatly packaged up, MMI box inside a bubble wrap, then inside a jiffy and then wrapped in more bubble wrap.

Coffee optional - it helps get a feel for size 😅

Will update on here to share my personal experience on fitting it, if there were any drama's and just how long it took me.

https://m.nl.aliexpress.com/item/4001063666209.html
Attachments
126D2ABC-D837-4F33-8D5B-9CF1AEED5F72.jpeg
126D2ABC-D837-4F33-8D5B-9CF1AEED5F72.jpeg (190.52 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
3FD088B0-F057-4045-AC7B-975C4668B3CE.jpeg
3FD088B0-F057-4045-AC7B-975C4668B3CE.jpeg (146.26 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
57366960-32C7-4266-BE31-EA2F31102BBE.jpeg
57366960-32C7-4266-BE31-EA2F31102BBE.jpeg (149.67 KiB) Viewed 1829 times
Z4 E89 35i M Sport - 2010
Crimson Red with Cream Leather
Fully loaded

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed May 19, 2021 9:40 am

UK tax is being added at source, so that stops sellers down playing the cost so you don't get a customs bill, this way the UK government gets a cut no matter what!! It's the same with ebay as well, if you buy anything from within Europe you'll see one price, but when you check your purchase history you'll see a lower price (the actual price - the tax!!).

Anyway, best of luck with the install, it is relatively straightforward. If you have an iPhone then it may be a good idea to remove it from your OE Bluetooth connection on both the iDrive and the phone, then set it up with the MMI box. You can then set up your phone, with the box, but I'd then also recommend that you set it in the settings to use OE Bluetooth for calls, this way your phone will work no matter what you are listening to! :thumbsup: Obviously not forgetting to reconnect to the OE Bluetooth.
Hope that makes sense
Any problems give me a shout.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Webless

Post by Webless » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:13 pm

Thank you, all done and working fine. Perfect weather day and took me about 2 hours, as you mentioned I did need to remove the car Bluetooth registration to get the MMI box to work.

I’ve been for a 3 hour drive using CarPlay and Google Maps, really pleased with the results. The Nav display is so much better and smoother than the original BMW which is now showing it age.

Spotify control is a real treat too. I will post a couple of photos up, had some problems getting the main unit past the gear know (automatic)?so removed the front control panel and then was ok.

Also the steering column housing, I removed with the steering wheel in place but definitely needed a smaller tool to get it off, thankfully I had one with my Garmin Dashcam and that worked a treat.

When fitting the mic connection I found out you could just unclip the wire, so no need to cut the tape to free it. Photos (to follow) should make sense.

One other thing, to test the MMI I turned the ignition on when only some of the center console wires were connected. This resulted in some fault codes being registered which needed the Foxwell to clear, so if you do test then my advice is connect everything unless you have a code reader 🤓

Best mod so far and for the cost it’s really good value for money - wouldn’t have attempted it without the video instruction 🙏
Fully loaded

Webless

Post by Webless » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 am

Had an odd one with this yesterday. Dropping the Zed off at Freshlayers for ceramic coating and on the way down (about 1hr) the screen when blank but was clearly still backlit. Came back on by itself, then went off again.

It’s a bit like the iPhone connection dropped, (rather than a loose connection) phone had about 70% battery so that wasn’t the problem. Anyway, I put the phone on charge and left the phone on, showing a text description of the directions.

No further issue with CarPlay but I had only 40mins of driving left. I will try this again when I pick the car up in a couple of days and see if it behaves.

Keep you posted 👍
Fully loaded