Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Fluid Service Reset

How-To articles are in here.
GELewis

Post by GELewis » Sat May 15, 2021 12:48 am

I installed new pads and rotors and changed the brake fluid on my 2009 Z4 with iDrive last summer. I just rolled 55,000 miles, and the system is telling me to service the brake fluid. I've checked, the reservoir is full, and everything is working fine. I've watched the YouTube videos showing how to use the mileage reset button to reset the service lights, but it doesn't work on my vehicle. How do I reset the Brake Fluid Service warning?
Last edited by GELewis on Sat May 15, 2021 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

GELewis

Post by GELewis » Sat May 15, 2021 1:27 am

Playing around, I stumbled across the solution:
1) Insert the key and press the start button without stepping on the brakes, so that the system comes alive without starting the car.
2) Press and hold the mileage reset button until the triangle with the exclamation mark inside appears.
3) Press the mileage reset button a second time, and the brake fluid service icon appears.
---This is where the procedure differs from the generic BMW reset procedure in the YouTube videos---
4) Press and hold the button on the end of the turn signal stalk until the word "Reset" appears.
5) Release, then press and hold that same button and a clock face will appear. Continue holding the button while the clock hands rotate. Once the clock hands stop turning, the reset is complete.