Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

How-To articles are in here.
inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Thought it worth adding another how-to into the archives....hopefully it helps somebody...

Brodit clip arrived today. Install took a few minutes longer than planned as I hadn't pushed the 2 x gap wedges in far enough and the end snapped off of one :headbang:

Still managed to get them both in far enough though and inserted the clip itself. Quite a tight fit of course and required a little shifting towards the middle slightly in order to ‘latch’ into the trim gaps on the underside of the dash.

Just need the holder now and then wire in hidden USB power source - which I think is going to be placed next to the glove box, along with a very short USB power cable.

Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26 pm

Good on you for posting about this.
I thought about going down the Brodit route as I've used them in other cars and been totally happy. They're well-designed and last for ages.

However, I didn't decide to go with this option on the Z for the reason that can be seen in your photos.
That line between the ally dash and the palstic below it is now spoiled by jamming the Brodit clip between it, making it look a bit janky imo.
It also looks like you may have scuffed your aluminium dash where your clip is (?)

I think if you're ok to risk a few scratches and don't mind how it looks like it's forced the plastics apart for a certain length around the clip then power to you, otherwise a safer bet may be a non-destructive vent clip.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:31 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. It does slightly ruin the clean constant of the dash-to-plastic line (dash was slightly scuffed to begin with btw). Looks more pronounced in the pictures tbh. I think once the holder is screwed on I wont notice it. Even more so with a phone in there. Will live with a whole and see if it offends!

Alternative is to screw a clip into the dash (dont want to do this), or as you say, out of a vent - but I’m slightly OCD about vents. Beyond them not being completely weight-able with holders and phones, I like to use them for heat or cold. Covering one with a phone has never sat easily with me :lol:
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Wigsters

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by Wigsters » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:58 pm

ALways used these, they are great.

Note though for future fittings, if you have the black dash trim you can't use the spacer as the black is a brittle laminate (yes, I chipped it!). It has to be loosened from behind to allow fitting.

All good once in though :)

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by inkey$ » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Better picture just taken in natural light. You’ll see the ‘gap’ its created by being in place is actually pretty minimal. Think its made worse in the earlier pics by the simple fact my alu dash needs a damn good clean with some cleaner to get rid of the edge grime :lol:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Brodit Pro-Clip Install

Post by Nictrix » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 pm

Might be better in the E85/E86 section
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)