Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The easy way to remove Vanos studs - hopefully!

How-To articles are in here.
Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:27 pm

After reading other methods describing the difficulties related to removing the studs holding the Vamos unit, I have decided to take a slightly different approach.

In order to remove these studs easily with a socket wrench I have Locktited the original nuts back on to the ends of the studs.

The area was degreased with break cleaner followed by giving the car a spin to warn up the engine.

Working quickly the nuts were removed, degreased, then finger tightened back onto the studs using Locktite 648.
The nuts were threaded only on the tips of the studs being carefull not to tighten all the way up to the Vanos, Locktite 648 is extremely strong stuff and would be a pain in the butt the nuts welded themselves to the Vanos.

I shall leave everything to set overnight and fingers crossed remove the studs easily tomorrow

🀞🀞🀞
20201215_133012.jpg
20201215_133012.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
I'm going to bed early on New Years Eve
Not wishing to toast the New Tier in.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Tbh, I found it really simple to lift the engine slightly, but if your way works then it's another approach and I guess it saves faffing about underneath?
Will you have enough clearance to extract the studs? Given that the lack of clearance is at the most 5mm then I reckon the stud should move laterally enough to clear everything.

Only slight issue I can see is lining it all up again properly and making sure the gasket is properly positioned.
(Or are you only using your method on the problem studs?)

Of course, if the Loctite loses it's battle with the studs in the head end then you're a day behind :poke: :rofl:

Good luck. "He who dares Rodders, he who dares...."
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:12 pm

(Or are you only using your method on the problem studs?)
I'm looking to remove all the studs by this method. I will replace with stainless studding slightly over length so that two nuts can be locked together for easier future removal of the studs.

I may have to delay removal until Thursday due rain forecast tomorrow.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Alpina 98 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:12 pm (Or are you only using your method on the problem studs?)
I'm looking to remove all the studs by this method. I will replace with stainless studding slightly over length so that two nuts can be locked together for easier future removal of the studs.

Just a radical thought: if you're replacing the studs anyway, could you not use bolts instead? No need to lock nuts together then.
Still have the issue with aligning the gasket, but maybe it's another option?

As I say, I did mine the accepted 'engine raised' way, but that was mainly because I was doing the water pump at the same time and it seemed easier. Therefore I have no real concept of how much clearance there would be to insert bolts instead. Just brainstorming.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:21 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm
Alpina 98 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:12 pm (Or are you only using your method on the problem studs?)

Just a radical thought: if you're replacing the studs anyway, could you not use bolts instead? No need to lock nuts together then.
Still have the issue with aligning the gasket, but maybe it's another option?

As I say, I did mine the accepted 'engine raised' way, but that was mainly because I was doing the water pump at the same time and it seemed easier. Therefore I have no real concept of how much clearance there would be to insert bolts instead. Just brainstorming.
The thought did cross my mind about using bolts. Maybe next time. I guess this is work in progress.

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Be interested to see how you get on, keep us posted! :thumbsup:
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:44 pm

kis wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:34 pm Be interested to see how you get on, keep us posted! :thumbsup:
I will update worts and all. Hopefully the Locktite does its job. If not I will need to replace the seals in my trolley jack!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:42 am

Alpina 98 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:44 pm
kis wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:34 pm Be interested to see how you get on, keep us posted! :thumbsup:
I will update worts and all. Hopefully the Locktite does its job. If not I will need to replace the seals in my trolley jack!
All gone quiet?
Waiting on trolley jack seals? :poke: :D

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:56 am

As I plan to check/service my Vanos unit in the spring, I've bought some half-height M6 nuts to create a lock nut.

Some Internet searching revealed that the Vanos stud threads are M6 with a 1.0mm pitch, so I ordered these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEXAGON-THIN ... 749.l2649

A pair of these has a total thickness of 6.1mm, compared with 4.9/5mm for a typical standard M6 nut - so hopefully there should be a spare 1mm of protruding stud to attach them to.
Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:47 pm

enuff_zed wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:42 am
Alpina 98 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:44 pm
All gone quiet?
Waiting on trolley jack seals? :poke: :D
Unfortunately the Locktite 648 had gone past its sell by date and didn't set hard. Not one to give up I am using Locktite 638 (extra strong)
I will update as things progress πŸ‘πŸ»

Alpina 98

Post by Alpina 98 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:29 pm

I did say I would give my updates, worts and all!

My latest installment (War an Peace) is to report the looktite 638 managed to remove two studs out of six! I do beleive I am battling cold weather. Technical data shows both loctite 648 and 638 works best at 20 degrees +

Plan C (third attempt) is to use two part standard Araldite

I will give this a couple of days due to the cold before attempting stud extraction number 3 🀞
Attachments
20201217_123336.jpg
20201217_123336.jpg (127.18 KiB) Viewed 1665 times