Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fitting sound insulation to doors (and other places)?

How-To articles are in here.
Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm

I have (on the right door) a buzz coming from the door when Adele is grieving at full volume..

The new speakers and amp are giving the door a bit more grief...

I've bought some door matting to dampen the door.. people rave abou the effect...

Anybody gone here before on an E89?

It looks like you should apply it to the outside door skin (on the inside) as well as maybe the interior door skin?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noico-deadenin ... ast_sto_dp

bryand

Post by bryand » Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:41 pm

A couple of pics on this site of where they place it for a pro install might give you an idea.

https://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/audio ... d-x-series

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 am

Only reason i never did doors, was when i saw the dent man remove a ding on my door. Would have been a lot harder with sound insulation stuck on.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:30 am

bryand wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:41 pm A couple of pics on this site of where they place it for a pro install might give you an idea.

https://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/audio ... d-x-series
Thank you..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:32 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 am Only reason i never did doors, was when i saw the dent man remove a ding on my door. Would have been a lot harder with sound insulation stuck on.
Power of positive thinking.. :rofl:

Good point but I’ll risk it to stop Adele vibrating.. :thumbsup:

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:56 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:11 am Only reason i never did doors, was when i saw the dent man remove a ding on my door. Would have been a lot harder with sound insulation stuck on.
They can always pull from the outside now. I wouldn't let that stop me.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

Z4C_er

Post by Z4C_er » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm I have (on the right door) a buzz coming from the door when Adele is grieving at full volume..

I've bought some door matting to dampen the door.. people rave abou the effect...

It looks like you should apply it to the outside door skin (on the inside) as well as maybe the interior door skin?

I would never discourage you from the matting, as I have done it and think it's one of the best improvements you can do. But, if there's a vibration (or 'tizz') it may not be solved by the matting. Open the door up and see if there are any places where items can touch.
Certainly laying matting on the door inner surfaces may mean that a loom or a clip will no longer touch hard metal or hard plastic, so that would be a solution, but the 'tizz' could be in a location that you can't access or where matting can't be laid.
2006.5 E86 Z4C si SE Phoenix Yellow

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:12 pm

I have an annoying buzz at certain freq in a speaker i fitted behind the seats. It could be the cone itself, some misplaced glue or the coil wires.
Might be idea to swap over the speakers, see if that makes a difference or if the buzz moves.
Last edited by flybobbie on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Z4C_er wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:00 pm
Pbondar wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:23 pm I have (on the right door) a buzz coming from the door when Adele is grieving at full volume..

I would never discourage you from the matting, as I have done it and think it's one of the best improvements you can do. But, if there's a vibration (or 'tizz') it may not be solved by the matting. Open the door up and see if there are any places where items can touch.
Certainly laying matting on the door inner surfaces may mean that a loom or a clip will no longer touch hard metal or hard plastic, so that would be a solution, but the 'tizz' could be in a location that you can't access or where matting can't be laid.
It’s a good point...even without the speakers running at certain road frequencies there is a slight ‘buzz’ from somewhere in the door..it feels like a bit of the door latch / lock maybe sloppy and vibrating at certainly points..when I strip the door cards off I’ll give it a good look :thumbsup: