Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to Replace and Register a New Battery

How-To articles are in here.
radicalmachine

Post by radicalmachine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:48 pm

This guide will walk you through replacing the battery, and registering the exchange in the onboard computer for as little cost as possible. There are certainly 'easier' ways of registering the battery with mobile apps and Bluetooth ODB interfaces, but this can be done with a sub-£15 cable and a laptop / PC running Windows.

Tools you will need:

Physical Install
  • 10mm Socket
  • 13mm Socket
  • Socket Wrench
Battery Registration
  • K+DCAN USB Cable
  • Windows Laptop, preferably Windows10
  • ISTA-D
Physical Install
1. The battery is located underneath the boot compartment. Remove the boot carpet panel by lifting it under the notch in the bottom right, and place it to one side
2. Place a piece of cardboard over the boot latch. Just in case it closes and you can't get back in
3. Using a 13mm socket, loosen and remove the bolt holding the retaining bracket (the one closest to the front of the car), and swing it over to the left out of the way
4. Continuing with the 13mm socket, loosen the bolt holding the steadying bracket at the bottom right of the battery. The bolt won't come out completely but will instead come away with the bracket when you have loosened it enough. Place it to one side.
5. Wiggle and remove the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) from the left side of the battery and set this out of the way
6. Starting with the positive terminal, lift the latch on the red cover
7. Using a 10mm socket loosen and remove the nut on the clamp from the positive terminal on the battery. If your new battery came with terminal caps you can place this on the terminal to prevent the clamp from accidentally touching it. A piece of cardboard will also do the trick. Place the nut to one side
8. Continuing with the 10mm socket, loosen the nut on the negative terminal clamp, then remove it from the battery and place a cap on the terminal.
9. Pull up the battery handles and lift the battery out of the boot
10. Place your new battery into the compartment, roughly in the right place - getting it exactly in the right place isn't important at this stage.
11. Place the positive terminal clamp on the battery, hand screw the nut and then tighten with a wrench, close the red cover.
12. Place the negative terminal clamp on the battery, hopefully you should hear the vehicle electronics and see the boot lamp light up. Hand screw the nut and then tighten with a wrench
13. Replace the intelligent battery sensor (IBS) into the left side of the new battery
14. Move the battery into the correct position, making sure the hole for the steadying bracket is in the right place.
15. Replace the steadying bracket and hand tighten to find the hole. Tighten well with a wrench.
16. Swing the retaining bracket back over the battery and replace the bolt. Tighten well with a wrench.
17. Replace the boot carpet panel
18. Enter the vehicle and switch on the ignition.
19. Set the time and date
20. Test the window operation to confirm one-touch works in both directions on both sides

Battery Registration
1. Open the latch on the ODB2 Port by the bonnet opener in the driver's footwell.
2. Connect the ODB2-end of the K+DCAN adapter to the socket, and the USB-end to your laptop
3. Start ISTA-D
4. Under the Operations tab, select the New tab, then the Read Out Vehicle Data tab. Select Complete Vehicle Identification in the bottom right. ISTA-D will now read the onboard computers and show you the Control Unit Tree. Any ECUs with previously or newly reported faults will be displayed in Yellow.
5. Select the Vehicle Management tab, then the Service Functions tab. Select the '+' on Body, then the '+' on Voltage Supply, then select Battery
6. On the right hand side select 'ABL Register Battery Exchange'. Select the type of exchange suitable for your new battery and follow the instructions. In my case, I was replacing the OEM Battery (Varta) after 10 years(!) of service with a Bosch S5A08 of the same type and capacity (70AH / AGM)
Last edited by radicalmachine on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 35i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

How to Replace and Register a new Battery

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Well! All I can add is thank you very much. Clear and comprehensive.

Does this exact same process apply to E85/6 and E89?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

radicalmachine

Post by radicalmachine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:53 pm Well! All I can add is thank you very much. Clear and comprehensive.

Does this exact same process apply to E85/6 and E89?
This covers the E89 specifically. I believe the E85/6 has the battery in the same location, so the general instructions should still apply. ISTA-D should also have no trouble querying and writing to the E85/6 series, and the same instructions can likely be followed :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 35i

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Great guide, clear and simple #batteryregistration

Thankfully the E85/E86 has no IBS module so no battery registration requirements 8)
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

aymamibrockway

Post by aymamibrockway » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm

I'm painfully new to all of this but does the E85 require INPA instead of ISTA-D or are they the same?
Thanks,
Bob
2007 Z4M Roadster, 2004 E85 2.5i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:54 pm

aymamibrockway wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm I'm painfully new to all of this but does the E85 require INPA instead of ISTA-D or are they the same?
Thanks,
Bob
The e85 doesn’t require battery registration :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:54 pm
aymamibrockway wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 pm I'm painfully new to all of this but does the E85 require INPA instead of ISTA-D or are they the same?
Thanks,
Bob
The e85 doesn’t require battery registration :thumbsup:
Rob
There seems to be an echo in here!
:rofl:
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

aymamibrockway

Post by aymamibrockway » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 am

I appreciate that. But I was thinking of adding Rheingold to a laptop and need to know which cable I would need. What is the difference between ISTA K+DCAN and INPA DCAN/CAN? I would like to be able to program options on my 2004 E85.
Thanks,
Bob

radicalmachine

Post by radicalmachine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 am

aymamibrockway wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 am I appreciate that. But I was thinking of adding Rheingold to a laptop and need to know which cable I would need. What is the difference between ISTA K+DCAN and INPA DCAN/CAN? I would like to be able to program options on my 2004 E85.
Thanks,
Bob
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=difference+between+inpa+and+ista
BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 35i

aymamibrockway

Post by aymamibrockway » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm

radicalmachine wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:20 am
aymamibrockway wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 am I appreciate that. But I was thinking of adding Rheingold to a laptop and need to know which cable I would need. What is the difference between ISTA K+DCAN and INPA DCAN/CAN? I would like to be able to program options on my 2004 E85.
Thanks,
Bob
I did google it first. Sorry to frickin bother you. I came here hoping for more intelligent information than is available from google. Evidently I overestimated my chances. You're a noob too with only 10 posts. Don't act like a pompous expert. You reflect badly upon the entire forum. If you can't contribute with an intelligent response, don't bother wasting my or anyone else's time.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:05 am

aymamibrockway wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:57 pm
Thanks,
Bob
I did google it first. Sorry to frickin bother you. I came here hoping for more intelligent information than is available from google. Evidently I overestimated my chances. You're a noob too with only 10 posts. Don't act like a pompous expert. You reflect badly upon the entire forum. If you can't contribute with an intelligent response, don't bother wasting my or anyone else's time.
There's no such thing as an ISTA cable or INPA cable. ISTA and INPA are BMW software packages for diagnostic and maintenance. The reason these terms get conflated is that the sellers of these items tend to be non-proficient with the English language and just smash a load of phrases together to get more clicks on their Amazon or Ebay listing.

When buying a cable all that matters is if it supports KLine or DCAN. For your E85 you only need to bother with KLine so pretty much any cable out there will work, it's only when looking for cables that support DCAN you end up with problems.

You don't need to bother with ISTA for the E85/86, stick with INPA if you just need error code reading.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

Thanks,
Bob
Way to go..attitude.. :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am
Is there a full moon or something?
Follows on nicely from 'seller' :roll:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:45 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:35 am
Pbondar wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am

Is there a full moon or something?
Follows on nicely from 'seller' :roll:
I think many of us are getting very frustrated with this COVID journey and that manifests itself in a number of ways..I've noticed a number of people includig me getting 'ratty' in ways that we didn't..

However aymamibrockway has a point, IMHO, the Forum is an excellent place to come to get help and more detailed expositions of subjects, the FB posts are mainly shot from the hip opinions, often without really reading what the OP asked or said..and the format doesn't lend itself to wordy tombs..

aymamibrockway...made me chuckle.."He might gave said that, I might have through that, I couldn't possibly comment" :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am

Pbondar wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:45 am I think many of us are getting very frustrated with this COVID journey and that manifests itself in a number of ways..I've noticed a number of people includig me getting 'ratty' in ways that we didn't..

However aymamibrockway has a point, IMHO, the Forum is an excellent place to come to get help and more detailed expositions of subjects, the FB posts are mainly shot from the hip opinions, often without really reading what the OP asked or said..and the format doesn't lend itself to wordy tombs..
Indeed, the 'journey' is affecting us all. My answer is humour, which can drift easily into sarcasm and offend people, albeit unintentionally.

And yes, he does have a point. The forum is the place for better information. Many times I have seen people referring to youtube etc and then adding in extra info from personal experience. All this is a great asset to draw upon.

The main issue seems to be people reading the last post without checking back on the whole thread and therefore not giving the best response they could.

However, there must be a way of simply saying 'thank you for that but I was hoping for a little more'?