Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

upgrade differential to LSD with Racing Diffs' kit

How-To articles are in here.
tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon May 18, 2020 10:28 am

I got hands on a spare diff from an automatic (final drive ratio 3.73) earlier and decided to refurbish it and add LSD (mine is a manual 23i)

there are plenty of videos about swapping diffs, the only thing I'd like to highlight: it was not a one-man DIY in my case, rather two :)
there's no need to remove the exhaust and the sway bar, the latter only needs to be loosen up, so it can be moved to make room for the diff to come out - I can give the specifics in case

installing the LSD kit and putting the diff together are well documented as well

watch when ordering and make sure you get the 188L version
still some extra lathing and grinding of certain parts is required, not a biggy - I can send the exact details, measurements

time will tell whether it was worth my efforts, definitely learnt a lot and got busy during the lockdown :D

so far I'm very happy with the results, for sure experiencing a lot of "feeling safe" and smiling when cornering at higher speeds

too early to tell more, perhaps in another post

also, because of the somewhat higher final drive ratio, the expected shorter revving up is happening, and it actually feels good

PS: so, I have spare 3.64 diff now, which I'm happy to refurbish and install the LSD kit into - let me know if interested, I'm sure we'll work out the details
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 am

The LSD seems to a bit of a copy of the Quaife/Torsen design..ie no friction plates just gears?

With that 23i engine the chances of losing the rear end must now be close to zero! :thumbsup:

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am

the progressive conversion kit comes with friction plates, so the design is more like the Phantom (I believe this is the name)

I had a long test run yesterday at my usual places to be able to compare the experience to before LSD times, pushing the limits carefully, and it seems that cornering is now a different experience, the car just goes "through"
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks, why did you go for that design which seems to be for the 'drifter' type guys rather than the Torsen type design?

Or was it just local/good price etc?

I have to say that the quaife unit I have means that i now use Sport+ mode with 'gay abandon' and it feels very very planted! :thumbsup: :driving:

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 pm

I don't do tracks and the 23i has the least powered engine, but I like to step on the gas from time to time owning a sports car :D

counting the spare diff as well, the cost was close to 600€ - considerably less than the real LSD solutions

so, I felt it was going to be enough for me considering benefits vs. costs
Pbondar wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am I have to say that the quaife unit I have means that i now use Sport+ mode with 'gay abandon' and it feels very very planted! :thumbsup: :driving:
now I understand the difference and planted is the right word :thumbsup: :driving:
mSport 23i

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu May 21, 2020 12:20 pm

tintoverano wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 pm I don't do tracks and the 23i has the least powered engine, but I like to step on the gas from time to time owning a sports car :D

counting the spare diff as well, the cost was close to 600€ - considerably less than the real LSD solutions

so, I felt it was going to be enough for me considering benefits vs. costs
Pbondar wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am I have to say that the quaife unit I have means that i now use Sport+ mode with 'gay abandon' and it feels very very planted! :thumbsup: :driving:
now I understand the difference and planted is the right word :thumbsup: :driving:
All noted..enjoy!!!

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am

I'm experiencing, especially in normal mode, a noticeable acceleration response, which I didn't expect at all

is this the new differential, I used?

it has a bit higher final drive ratio, the increase is 2.5% -> gained delta torque is roughly 6Nm

I guess on dry, normal surface the LSD wouldn't matter that much
mSport 23i

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 25, 2020 10:48 am

tintoverano wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am I'm experiencing, especially in normal mode, a noticeable acceleration response, which I didn't expect at all

is this the new differential, I used?

it has a bit higher final drive ratio, the increase is 2.5% -> gained delta torque is roughly 6Nm

I guess on dry, normal surface the LSD wouldn't matter that much
I would humbly suggest it’s a placebo effect..maybe you’re just generally keeping the engine on the boil more with your new found extra emotional/actual security..

I never used to use Sport+ mode much prior to the LSD fitted but now I do...

In reality I never saw that much intervention from the traction control unless it was very damp, very bumpy or running winter tyres in warm conditions..

Psychologically now I feel more confident, whether that’s the chassis telling me it’s ok to press on harder or just the placebo effect will have to wait till I get on some more Forum runs and see if I can keep up more easily..

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm

tintoverano wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:28 am I got hands on a spare diff from an automatic (final drive ratio 3.73) earlier and decided to refurbish it and add LSD (mine is a manual 23i)

there are plenty of videos about swapping diffs, the only thing I'd like to highlight: it was not a one-man DIY in my case, rather two :)
there's no need to remove the exhaust and the sway bar, the latter only needs to be loosen up, so it can be moved to make room for the diff to come out - I can give the specifics in case

installing the LSD kit and putting the diff together are well documented as well

watch when ordering and make sure you get the 188L version
still some extra lathing and grinding of certain parts is required, not a biggy - I can send the exact details, measurements

time will tell whether it was worth my efforts, definitely learnt a lot and got busy during the lockdown :D

so far I'm very happy with the results, for sure experiencing a lot of "feeling safe" and smiling when cornering at higher speeds

too early to tell more, perhaps in another post

also, because of the somewhat higher final drive ratio, the expected shorter revving up is happening, and it actually feels good

PS: so, I have spare 3.64 diff now, which I'm happy to refurbish and install the LSD kit into - let me know if interested, I'm sure we'll work out the details
update, forgot to add

as a final step, the software-based Diff Lock option to be turned off using NCS Expert in the DSC module

Engine Power Reduction was already "off", but saw it "on" for some other models
Screen Shot 05-28-20 at 05.35 PM.PNG
Screen Shot 05-28-20 at 05.35 PM.PNG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
mSport 23i