Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Maintenance charger voltmeter mod

How-To articles are in here.
scootr

Post by scootr » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:13 am

Nothing terribly pretty or fancy here. I have a few cars and a tractor on maintenance chargers, I'm more reliant on this with the lock down thing... :? Anyway a pet peeve of mine is not knowing what the battery state of charge is when the battery has been on a charger for weeks. Bloody things aren't cheap to replace if ignored. So I'm obliged to get a multi-meter and check the voltage to see if it is acceptable, as in not too low- not too high.
I don't understand why some of the most recommended maintenance chargers do not have a battery voltage readout. I mean - how frekin simple is this to incorporate to a charge device!? Cost about $1 in production But NO ~ I have to go get another device and test for the info the charger should be giving me ! Ugh! :headbang:

Anyway, way I fixed my shop floor model charger years ago with the addition of a digital battery meter that reads what ever you clamp onto.
And today I added a model airplane type voltmeter to a CTEK charger for the Mustang. and I'm sure I will be modding the new CTEK for X5 as soon as it gets here. This was a 5 minute job... of course you could take 10 or 15 and make it look better. :D
Attachments
IMG_1230.jpg
IMG_1230.jpg (71.26 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
IMG_1226.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
IMG_1223.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:24 am

Sound idea. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:59 am

Hi, that looks like it’s giving the battery voltage while charging - does it give the V while the charger’s off to show “resting” V also :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold