Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shocks - what to know before replacing rear shocks

How-To articles are in here.
scootr

Post by scootr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:59 am

Shocks can be a simple and rewarding upgrade. The lower mount is as obvious as the top is obscure. The trouble is not the mount so much as the carpeted panel covering the mount. Why this unused boot space needs to covered in interlocking formed and carpeted panels with a million push rivets is beyond me. :roll: God forbid anybody should see the shock mount or lift the boot and have easy access like you do to the strut in the front... anyway. I digress...
The point is do not open the trunk and start popping push rivets and pulling panels in an effort to unlock the shock mount cover. Because this panel was the first thing put on the frame and everything else on the car is on top of it. Plus it is pinched in behind the roof mechanism frame and we suspect it may also be connected to the dash board :D So as after removing a ridiculous amount of sections hard an soft coverings and failing to release the shock cover piece... we discovered the thing you need to know upfront.
Remove nothing in the trunk. Open the roof and stop the roof at the point where the rear window is on the roof and the deck lid is vertical. Thus exposing the shock tower. Attack the top outer edge of the shock tower carpet panel prying it out from under the rubber ... push it down and away exposing the shock tower. I had the car up about 2 feet off the floor. A big floor jack was positioned to keep the wheel from dropping too much.
Use an electric impact and 17mm deep well 6pt socket to remove the top nut while pushing the carpet piece out of the way. The bottom 19 mm is an simple bolt. And everything just drop out. We reused the shock bumper and dust cap. One man pushed the threaded top in the trunk hole from below while a second man put the spacer and nut on... then the bottom bolt was reinstalled and then the top was tightened up. If the top spins release the jack support so there is tension on the shock. The carpeted cover was then wrestled back in place. Simple enough if you know not to try to remove the carpet panel from the trunk access. Hope this helps someone.
E89 3.0L 6 MT gone
Michelin P4s
Bilstein struts & shocks
Luxon tower brace

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:11 pm

No such luck in an E85/6 - I remember the hassle I had even writing up the guide on here.

Whoever designed it for either your E89 or earlier cars ought to be shot... I expect give it 5 or so more years & we’ll hear the same from G29 owners
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:13 pm

You are making fitting rear shocks sound like a real chore.
It seemed relatively straightforward for me.
When fitting rear Bilsteins i had to leave out the upper bump stop, don't think it's hole fits the shaft, so to speak.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Bilstein make an explicit reference to NOT using an impact driver due to possible damage in disassembley and assembly :thumbsdown:

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:34 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm Bilstein make an explicit reference to NOT using an impact driver due to possible damage in disassembley and assembly :thumbsdown:
... am sure this is to ensure you burr the hex key which stops the spine from spinning... then try getting the nut off without an impact driver :lol:

(No need to ask me how I know)
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54