Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hydraulic Power steering conversion

How-To articles are in here.
brickers911

Hydraulic Power steering conversion

Post by brickers911 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 am

Hi All

I have just done the hydraulic power steering conversion, mainly having cribbed Ray Harpers post, there had been a few small details missing from most of the posts i have read so feel free to ask any other questions if you are considering this. Mostly I couldnt find many before and after verdicts so here is mine.
I would say that if you are a careful driver and have no issues with the epas then dont bother unless you really enjoy tinkering. If you like to push it a bit or are having problems then definately worth considering. For me the original steering is too over assisted as well as the other problems it can give and this makes it far to jittery around the gnarly bits, with the conversion the steering is slightly heavier but much better weighted and precise/linear on the go and I think its this better drivability where you get the greatest improvement rather than a better feel, although that is improved too. Also funnily enough much more stable in a straight line but i did tend to suffer intermittantly from the sticky steering too. It does inspire much more confidence and the overall experience is far better
If youre careful obtaining the parts cost was under £500, and this included the £260 (ouch!) I had to shell out for the Z4m lower itermediate shaft, I just couldnt find one 2nd hand, all the other parts were E46 330i secondhand off ebay. Oh I did buy new track rod ends as they are so cheap.
Its not that a difficult job doing apart from removing and refitting the epas electric motor to the steering column but if you enjoy yoga you are fine:)

Here are the posts I cribbed
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99956
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92858