Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CDV Delete e89 2009+

How-To articles are in here.
tintoverano

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by tintoverano » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:27 pm

I saw many posts and videos, but each was lacking some details here and there, hence a How To (not being a mechanic, as most of us, this may help other newbies like myself)

the result: reading some of the excited posts I was sceptic about the potential impact, I mean it couldn't be that good/bad - I have to confirm my mates, I got a brand new clutch experience now and it is mighty good

today is the 2nd day after the mod, I did a hilly test drive (wanted to cool down) - the difference is literally shocking, therefore I couldn't :rofl:

the steps

0. have a friend around who can help with the second part (bleeding) - though you won't need her if you did it again for some reason

1. get 0.5 litre DOT4 brake fluid and fill the reservoir above max (there's gonna be spillage for sure, but don't worry)

2. lift the car (jacking up only will make you suffer along the way) - wear gloves, glasses to protect yourself

3. remove two bottom engine covers to find your CDV:
CDV position
CDV position
Screen Shot 04-18-19 at 03.11 PM.PNG (518.87 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
4. before removing the factory installed valve apply a hose pinch
  • this will do, nothing fancy https://www.kingtony.com/product_detail ... 1&Key=1502
    hose pinch
    hose pinch
    hose pinch.jpg (87.53 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
    so you don't lose much brake fluid after disconnecting the hose and the valve
    hose pinch position
    hose pinch position
    Screen Shot 04-18-19 at 03.32 PM.PNG (125.38 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
    5. the valve is locked in by two push ring locks at both ends of it
    push ring locks & bleeder position
    push ring locks & bleeder position
    Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 18.02.23.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5230 times
    6. pull up the ring locks, use e.g. a screwdriver, to release the valve ends and remove the valve

7. insert the new valve first insert the right side of the valve, push hard and then connect the hose (with the pinch still applied) on the left side of the valve, push hard again and use the lock rings to secure the new valve

8. remove the hose pinch and you must bleed the clutch circuit now to get rid of the air, which got stuck inside
    bleeder with rubber cap
    bleeder with rubber cap
    Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 18.09.33.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 5230 times
    9. remove the rubber cap from the bleeder (see above) and connect the vacuum bleeder and do the same as the video shows

it will be harder though, since the car is higher up, and you need to hold the pump, pump it and open the bleeder screw at the sam time - the need for a friend

10. wipe the valve clean with a rug, so you can see if there's any leakage, after doing the next step

11. lower your car until you can reach the clutch pedal with your hand, then start pumping it 5-10 times, check its stiffness
    • if it seems OK, lift up your car, check the valve for leakage and put back everything, because you're ready with the CDV Delete :thumbsup:
    • if it doesn't feel OK, e.g. the pedal doesn't come back up or you hear the sound of spillage, look under the car for fluid and check if you connected the hose and the valve the right way and repeat the steps till the pedal is stiff and there's no brake fluid leakage
    • start with re-filling the reservoir above max
    12. when your car is down check the brake fluid level in the reservoir - there's a sensor, but it doesn't hurt to see it with your own eyes
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by flybobbie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Good idea also to fit a braided hose, they come with the push fittings. I was tempted to bypass the squiggly pipe, but left it in place. And for bleeding just let it sit with the valve open for 5 minutes into a jar, you will find it bleeds ok.

tintoverano

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by tintoverano » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:31 pm

I see, thanks for the bleeding tip
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

TDJ Stefan

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by TDJ Stefan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Hey,
Nice writeup. Did this recently to mine with the BMS CDV and what a diffrence it made. Didn´t expect it would do that much. And not only can you actually feel what the clutch is doing, the entire gearbox feels better somehow.
As for the bleeding, i just left it with a hose and a bottle for a couple of minutes and it worked fine for me so it obviously works :)

tintoverano

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by tintoverano » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:08 pm

TDJ Stefan wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:58 pm Hey,
And not only can you actually feel what the clutch is doing, the entire gearbox feels better somehow.
thanks for confirming that I'm not just imagining it :D
mSport 23i

TheThingIs

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by TheThingIs » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 pm

excuse my numbness but is this for manual or auto transmission?

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by Jembo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Manual only

I also though this only affected E85/6... learn something new everyday
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

tintoverano

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by tintoverano » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:31 pm

TheThingIs wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 pm excuse my numbness but is this for manual or auto transmission?
manual only
mSport 23i

TDJ Stefan

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by TDJ Stefan » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Jembo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:29 pm Manual only

I also though this only affected E85/6... learn something new everyday
This can be applied to basically any car, I´m just amazed how big a diffrence it made to my car :)

Broads

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by Broads » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:31 pm

I've seen this mentioned a few times now, and what does it actually do?
I assume it allows for a quicker change between 1st and 2nd :P cause for some reason that always seems clunky!

What is the purpose of the valve, as I assume it is there normally to perform some function.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

tintoverano

CDV Delete e89 2009+

Post by tintoverano » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:56 pm

A Clutch Delay Valve (CDV) is a one-way restrictor, located between the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. It slows the engagement of the clutch, similar to a damped record player tone-arm, gently lowering the needle to the surface of a record.
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562
mSport 23i