Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How-To - Parking Sensors and Reverse Camera in e89

How-To articles are in here.
AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:56 am

For those that were waiting, here is the How-To video on installing Parking Sensors and the Reversing Camera in an e89. Parts links are on the YouTube page.

https://youtu.be/j-I2KSQxYb8
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Yoghurt

Post by Yoghurt » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 pm

Many thanks for you helpful video Dave.

I wish I had watched it before I spent this afternoon trying to install a rear camera which connects to my dash cam!

I managed to get the wire from the cam mounted on the rear view mirror to the boot of the car. I ended up going through the 'ski hatch'.
However I got stumped when it got to getting the wire to the number plate area, guessing (as in your great video) I may have to take the bumper off.
Can you think of a way/route I could get the wire to the number plate light from the boot without removing the bumper though please?
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG (37.87 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
Also I need to get 2 wires for the sensor to goto the reverse light. Do you think I could splice them into the light cluster loom . If so do you know which 2 wires please ?
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG (62.23 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
When I removed the battery cover I came across this loose wing nut
IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4906.JPG (135.77 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
I am glad I found it as it could have possibly caused a short. I then had a look to see where it may have come from and eventually came across the 3 wing nuts underneath the tray where the roof lays on when open-sure enough, one was missing and the others were loose so it was a good job I came across this!

Incidentally, I have fitted this dashcam https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I went for this as I wanted to 'hide' the dashcam plus it was easy to install. Power is currently coming from the lighter socket under the arm rest. I may hardwire it in to use the parking guard but am a bit apprehensive about the drain on the battery (only drive at weekends) plus tacking the dreaded fuse box access!!

Thanks again

Yoghurt/Mike
E89 3.0i, Deep sea blue, stubby!

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Yoghurt wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 pm Many thanks for you helpful video Dave. Thanks

I wish I had watched it before I spent this afternoon trying to install a rear camera which connects to my dash cam!

I managed to get the wire from the cam mounted on the rear view mirror to the boot of the car. I ended up going through the 'ski hatch'.
However I got stumped when it got to getting the wire to the number plate area, guessing (as in your great video) I may have to take the bumper off.
Can you think of a way/route I could get the wire to the number plate light from the boot without removing the bumper though please? No, sorry it's not possible, you just cannot get access to it due to the large "lip" that goes forward from the lower part of the bumper.

Also I need to get 2 wires for the sensor to goto the reverse light. Do you think I could splice them into the light cluster loom . If so do you know which 2 wires please ? Wire them to the loom side, not the lamp side and you need the Brown for negative and the Black Blue for the positive

When I removed the battery cover I came across this loose wing nut IMG_4906.JPG
I am glad I found it as it could have possibly caused a short. I then had a look to see where it may have come from and eventually came across the 3 wing nuts underneath the tray where the roof lays on when open-sure enough, one was missing and the others were loose so it was a good job I came across this! That was lucky then!

Incidentally, I have fitted this dashcam https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I went for this as I wanted to 'hide' the dashcam plus it was easy to install. Power is currently coming from the lighter socket under the arm rest. I may hardwire it in to use the parking guard but am a bit apprehensive about the drain on the battery (only drive at weekends) plus tacking the dreaded fuse box access!! The Parking Guard that I have for mine has a battery drain protection built in, ie; it stops working once it hits the lower limit that you set, so it's perfectly safe

Thanks again

Yoghurt/Mike
Answers in red above :thumbsup:
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q