Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Helpful Wiring / Fuse Tool E89

How-To articles are in here.
Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi All,

I'm just about to hardwire in my dashcam but really struggled with the hieroglyphics of the fuse box diagram. Luckily, I came across this useful website which I haven't seen mentioned here yet, I think it is BMW's in-house repair manual:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e89- ... s/f-fuses/

It has a bunch of info that I haven't explored, but works very well for getting fuse descriptions.
Go to the main page, select your vehicle, and then use the search function on the right and type 'fuse'. From here there is a list of what each fuse actually does. Use the below diagram to guide you toward the right fuses.

For my dash cam install, I'll be using the following:

Fuse 8 - Cigarette lighter - on w/ ignition
Fuse 77 - Interior lighting - Always on

VIOFO A129 Duo dashcam with parking guard 3 wire hardwire kit (switches from full recording down to low-frame rate recording when ignition is off).

I haven't hardwired the cam yet, so I'll come back and edit this if the car doesn't like that fuse.

Hope this helps,
Beeacon.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:13 am

Dashcam installed and no issues found when using these fuses.

E89 Z4 2013

Post by E89 Z4 2013 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:58 pm

Hi, needing some helpful tips. I have bought an universal hardwiring kit with only one red wire and a ground wire. It says it’s both ACC & BATT at the same time though, is it okay to proceed inserting into what supposedly meant for BATT fuse slot ? Are there any differences between one wire and two wire cables?

Also, I’ve bought another type of hardwiring kit with both red and yellow wire however this time the fuse which came fitted does not slots in, and are very loose . Cant seems to find a way to piggy back on the original fuse either, or could it act as one fuse (15ampere) for both interior lighting and dash cam at the same time?

Thank you

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am

E89 Z4 2013 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:58 pm Hi, needing some helpful tips. I have bought an universal hardwiring kit with only one red wire and a ground wire. It says it’s both ACC & BATT at the same time though, is it okay to proceed inserting into what supposedly meant for BATT fuse slot ? Are there any differences between one wire and two wire cables?
I think it depends on which camera you have, I know that the VIOFO A129 that I have can't distinguish between the car being on or off, so it needs the 3 wires to be able to tell when to go into parking mode (one always on connection, and one on with ignition).
E89 Z4 2013 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:58 pm Also, I’ve bought another type of hardwiring kit with both red and yellow wire however this time the fuse which came fitted does not slots in, and are very loose . Cant seems to find a way to piggy back on the original fuse either, or could it act as one fuse (15ampere) for both interior lighting and dash cam at the same time?
If the other kit has 3 wires then this is best if you have a similar dashcam with parking mode (though the camera description should tell you how it needs to be hardwired). I would imagine that the fuse already included is useless, and you'd be better finding a piggyback kit for the fuse (I used this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 ). You need to make sure the fuses go in the correct way around though, I think the original fuse should go in the bottom of the kit, with the new fuse in the top.