Page 1 of 9

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:36 pm
by AnubisZed
DISCLAIMER:- OK, this is VERY important. Read the How-To, then read it again and then read it a third time. Make sure you perform EVERY step as it is written down, do not miss a step, and do not think you know better!!
If you do something wrong at best you'll receive an error message, at worst you could screw up the coding of your car. I cannot stress this enough this is serious stuff, only attempt this if you think it is something you can do.


Edit** A BRAND NEW (updated and more informative) how-to full walk through video for parts, install, coding and demo is now available..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjbddx24aqE&t=

If anyone is interested in this retro-fit I've managed to collate all the information in two Word documents (1st is the physical installation and the 2nd is the coding stages). They are mainly other peoples work but just all together with some additional information especially for the e89.

They are on my DropBox account ....

Part 1 >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qj1ty50rgpjf ... 1.pdf?dl=0

Part 2 >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltfnhvygop2db ... 2.pdf?dl=0
(Part 2 now includes links to new profiles and SPDaten files as well as instructions on how to load them and a new final process step)

I hope that is of help to someone.

Just as a heads-up for purchasing your Cruise stalk assembly.....

DON'T just search for one that is labelled as e89 as sellers seem to increase the price of these just because it's a Z4.
Instead put in your search e90 as this should bring up the exact same stalk as for the e81, 82, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and 93. These are all the same fitment with the only other item to watch out for is the "A" symbol on the wiper stalk if you have auto wipers, if not then you just have the windscreen with the 3 dashers underneath symbol (if you have trouble here you CAN buy any stalk assembly but then have the wrong symbol and no LED)
Hope that helps.

EDIT - Attached photos showing the Standard cruise Stalks (Right side stalk with the 3 dashes) and the Auto Wiper stalks (Right stalk with the "A" on it and an LED)
You CAN actually run auto wipers with a standard stalk if that is all that you can find.
Screenshot_20190611-232614_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-232614_Firefox.jpg (132.58 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Screenshot_20190611-232603_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20190611-232603_Firefox.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
EDIT 08/06/2019 :- I've now decided to offer this as a service. If you feel you can't undertake this process for whatever reason but would like Cruise Control fitting then I'm more than happy to perform this for you. Prices of parts vary but normally I can obtain the parts for around £60 (good clean used) and I'll fit and code it for £50. All parts are fully cleaned before fitting, I'll then code it and clear the associated fault codes and show you how it works. I'll even put my Carly code reader on for you and check your Z4 over. I work from my home in Grantham, Lincolnshire. Send me a PM if you would like to talk about it....viewtopic.php?f=13&t=116957

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm
by Stuartt
Great write up well done, it was all going so well till part 2 :o

Stuart

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:26 pm
by Smartbear
Stuartt wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Great write up well done, it was all going so well till part 2 :o

Stuart

Sounds as easy as falling off a bike, hang on a minute! :roll:
Rob

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 pm
by scott202
Thanks, that’s excellent, was thinking of doing this next!
A far cry from the simple 5 min job it was to retrofit to my e85 :P

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm
by AnubisZed
:rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am
by Stuartt
AnubisZed wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm
:rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:56 am
by AnubisZed
Stuartt wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:42 am
AnubisZed wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:12 pm
:rofl:

To be fair when you write it all down and include each individual step with a picture then it does start to look very complicated. But in doing it myself with the "part" information that's how I've now managed to put it all together here in one lump, and once you get into it it's relatively straight forward. Obviously you need to read it a few times to make sure you know what's what, and there are a number of YouTube videos on the subject of using NCSExpert and Tool32 although not specific to this coding but do run you through the basics of using the programs.

I do have to admit though it's not for everyone and even I'm still learning each time I do something new in the coding line, but that's the OEM stereo, the memory seats and now the Cruise all done, probably may not do anything else now anyway, just enjoy it 8) :driving:

Have you thought of putting a package together for supply and fit ?

Stuart
There are places out there that will do this mod for you, one of which is Redish Automotive in Bristol (video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMRGevLKMMI )

Personally I'd happily do it if someone wanted me to but it's not something I'd set up purposely

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:50 am
by AnubisZed
Just as a heads-up for purchasing your Cruise stalk assembly.....

DON'T just search for one that is labelled as e89 as sellers seem to increase the price of these just because it's a Z4.
Instead put in your search e90 as this should bring up the exact same stalk as for the e81, 82, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and 93. These are all the same fitment with the only other item to watch out for is the "A" symbol on the wiper stalk if you have auto wipers, if not then you just have the windscreen with the 3 dashers underneath symbol (if you have trouble here you CAN buy any stalk assembly but then swap the wiper stalk over, 2 screws and a small plug EDIT - NO YOU CAN'T!!!!! This is not possible) You can use a non-auto lights stalk on an auto lights car, it WILL work just the same!!
Hope that helps.

EDIT - Attached photos showing the Standard cruise Stalks (Right side stalk with the 3 dashes) and the Auto Wiper stalks (Right stalk with the "A" on it)
You CAN actually run auto wipers with a standard stalk if that is all that you can find, but like I say I'd swap it over with the old one.

Additional edits in RED BOLD

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm
by Barneybee
Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Just interested as I have the bits to do this, now just need to find some time.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
by AnubisZed
Barneybee wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Just interested as I have the bits to do this, now just need to find some time.
Yes that should work just the same. EDIT - Sorry wrong, you can't do this.
Obviousley you'd still need the lower steering cowl and the piece of plastic that clips on between the Cruise stalk and the BC stalk

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 am
by srhutch
I thought the slip ring on the E89 was different between cruise and non cruise versions.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:52 am
by AnubisZed
srhutch wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:59 am
I thought the slip ring on the E89 was different between cruise and non cruise versions.
It may be, but I can't see why it should be though :|
My reasoning for that is that it sits between the stalk assembly and the steering wheel, whereas the loom plugs into the stalk assembly prior to the slip ring, thus I can't see.........

I'll check.......

UPDATE**
I've checked and there are two slip rings, 1 for the multi-function steering wheel and one for the non multi-function wheel, that's it.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:51 pm
by AnubisZed
When undertaking a retrofit I noticed that there is an error in the coding how-to, for this it has been removed. I'll replace it as soon as I rectify the problem.
Sorry about that.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am
by Barneybee
AnubisZed wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
Barneybee wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Just interested as I have the bits to do this, now just need to find some time.
Yes that should work just the same.
Obviousley you'd still need the lower steering cowl and the piece of plastic that clips on between the Cruise stalk and the BC stalk
Thanks for the info.
I do have the other bits too, so ready to go when time allows.

How-To - e89 Cruise Control Retro-fit

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:44 pm
by AnubisZed
Barneybee wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:52 am
AnubisZed wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
Barneybee wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:45 pm
Could you also just remove the Cruise stalk from the purchased assembly and fit it to the existing setup?
Just interested as I have the bits to do this, now just need to find some time.
Yes that should work just the same.
Obviousley you'd still need the lower steering cowl and the piece of plastic that clips on between the Cruise stalk and the BC stalk
Thanks for the info.
I do have the other bits too, so ready to go when time allows.
Sorry bud, this info is incorect, you do need the three stalk set-up, it can't be altered