Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking sensors activation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
DrChef

Post by DrChef » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Guys, does anyone know if the parking sensors button keeps "memory" of its last activation/deactivation?
It should work the same way as the auto-start function, that actually remembers its latest status and stays deactivated when I restart the vehicle if I previously switched it off (or the other way round).

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm

DrChef wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm Guys, does anyone know if the parking sensors button keeps "memory" of its last activation/deactivation?
It should work the same way as the auto-start function, that actually remembers its latest status and stays deactivated when I restart the vehicle if I previously switched it off (or the other way round).
That doesn’t sound right, start/stop functioning always reverts to active after restarting the car, if yours doesn’t do that it sounds like it’s been recoded?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm

Turn engine on, in neutral, sensors are off. Put car in reverse, sensors, front and rear, come on automatically until i hit about 10 - 15 mph. Fronts only come on automatically when i put the car into reverse, also come on/off when pressing the button. Have turned the engine off with the sensors still on and next start up, key out and back in, sensors are off. That's how mine work and haven't had any coding to assume that is factory setup
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm Turn engine on, in neutral, sensors are off. Put car in reverse, sensors, front and rear, come on automatically until i hit about 10 - 15 mph. Fronts only come on automatically when i put the car into reverse, also come on/off when pressing the button. Have turned the engine off with the sensors still on and next start up, key out and back in, sensors are off. That's how mine work and haven't had any coding to assume that is factory setup
Same here. They are only on if you switch them on using the button on the console or you stick it in reverse.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:17 pm
Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm Lots of text
Same here. They are only on if you switch them on using the button on the console or you stick it in reverse.
Much easier way to put it :thumbsup:
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

DrChef

Post by DrChef » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

Vonlipvig wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm Turn engine on, in neutral, sensors are off. Put car in reverse, sensors, front and rear, come on automatically until i hit about 10 - 15 mph. Fronts only come on automatically when i put the car into reverse, also come on/off when pressing the button. Have turned the engine off with the sensors still on and next start up, key out and back in, sensors are off. That's how mine work and haven't had any coding to assume that is factory setup
So I cannot have them on automatically when I turn the engine on...
Ok good to know :) thank you guys!

DrChef

Post by DrChef » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm
DrChef wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm Guys, does anyone know if the parking sensors button keeps "memory" of its last activation/deactivation?
That doesn’t sound right, start/stop functioning always reverts to active after restarting the car, if yours doesn’t do that it sounds like it’s been recoded?
Rob
My auto-start has not been recoded, however it always stays deactivated (it's fine for me cause I don't like this function) and it doesn't automatically activate when I turn the engine on

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm

DrChef wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 am
Smartbear wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:45 pm
Rob
My auto-start has not been recoded, however it always stays deactivated (it's fine for me cause I don't like this function) and it doesn't automatically activate when I turn the engine on
If you’ve not owned the car from new how do you know it’s not been recoded?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

DrChef

Post by DrChef » Wed May 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm If you’ve not owned the car from new how do you know it’s not been recoded?
Rob
That's a good point... I cannot know for sure.

Something new/unexpected just happened yesterday: after more than 1 year I am driving my Z4 with the auto start/stop function off (it has never worked, neither I could be bothered to use it) it suddenly decided to come back to life. I just switched the engine on, went in sport mode (of course) and... tadaaaaa Auto Start/Stop was ON. Now it automatically activates when I start the engine up.
How can you explain this guys???

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Have you had a new battery?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 pm

Has the car been soaked recently?
Vidi, vici, veni

DHO51E

Post by DHO51E » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 pm

It’s a pain having to activate the front parking sensors when parking nose first. Eyes off the road etc. All the Audi’s I’ve had work the same way, but in the 2009 VW Touareg (Bought in 2011), the front sensors were active all the time and although they activated when a pedestrian or cyclist was nearby, I preferred them in that configuration. Just my opinion of course 😄