Question Regarding Changing Rear Subs

How-To articles are in here.
RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi All

I have changed all my speakers except the two subs behind the seats (the ones in the rear bulkhead) which I was going to change to the Audison plug and play speakers, my question is, after looking I cant seem see how you access them, the grill on the front doesn't seem to be removable or am I missing something, so is it a case of accessing them through the rear panel in the boot?

If it becomes a large job to do, I might looking at putting a single one in the ski hatch instead.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Russell
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 pm

The two subs are screwed from the front into captive nuts set in the steel rear bulkhead that are sealed enclosures..

To get to them you have to take the rear carpeted area out or back enough to get your driver/fingers/subs in

To get the carpet to move you need to remove the two rear speakers, the two rear top plastic trims hiding the top seat belt d ring, remove the d rings, the rear buklhead trim, the roll over hoop trim and the top trim covering the rear central speaker, the 4 luggage cinch brackets and the boot fold over cover and the rear boot cover rear plastic trim..

TIS info covers it all..its a big job, bigger than replacing all the other speakers put together,,figure on 2 days..plus lots of prayers trying to prise things apart like the rear roll over covers..

enjoy
2012 E89 20i MSport Auto Atacama Yellow, Fully loaded in its day.. Changes /Modifications (lots) Full Whippy here! Previously 32 cars, 22 motorbikes and 13 aircraft..the joys of the internal combustion engine..