Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery change

lowrider

Battery change

Post by lowrider » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm

My car is showing cc 415 denoting time to change it. If I buy a battery with same 60 amps as currently fitted can I fool the car by attaching a trickle charger thus saving reprogramming by the dealer. Has anybody on the forum changed a battery on an e89?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:06 pm

I just went to Halfords, £150 plus £25 to code. (paid £10 has it was the lad who fitted it his first coding).
Just go and be done with and save the messing.
Have to admit the tail lights seem brighter having some new electrons in the system.

VRSteve

Battery change

Post by VRSteve » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 pm

lowrider wrote:My car is showing cc 415 denoting time to change it. If I buy a battery with same 60 amps as currently fitted can I fool the car by attaching a trickle charger thus saving reprogramming by the dealer. Has anybody on the forum changed a battery on an e89?

Why risk it????
///M|Silver Grey|Black Leather|BT|Nav|DSP|Heated Seats|PDC|Stubby|Turner Limiters|Turner Rear Top Mounts|Bilstein B12|Powerflex ARB Bushes|Powerflex Lollipops|M-Track|
SOLD

srhutch

Battery change

Post by srhutch » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 pm

With the coding I think it's more of a reset thing so keeping another supply on it won't work anyway. But as others have said, why risk it.

Newbmw

Battery change

Post by Newbmw » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Just been looking at this post and thinking about jump leads Ect I have one of those cigarette to cigarette jump starters from asda does anybody know if these are ok to use if needed in BMW rather than jump leads

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:32 pm

You would jumps start through a cig lighter?
Some guy in Canada on youtube was testing those small power packs and they would draw 200 amps when fed to a starter motor.
He was trying to disprove the claim they would deliver 1k amps!

Newbmw

Battery change

Post by Newbmw » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 am

Yeah I purchased it in ASDA store they are selling them for £15 it says you put one end into other cars cigarette lighter and other end into your cigarette lighter it has a volt meter also on it ?? I purchased it as it looked a bit of good kit if it works like I said I haven't tried it yeat so not sure if they are any good

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:43 pm

Excuse the stupid questions here but if you disconnect the battery for ANY reason does it need recoded to the car?
If not, why does a new battery need coded to the car?
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by Nictrix » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks Flybobbie. Didnt know that.
So basically the battery can be disconnected as many times as you like and the car knows it is the same battery as you have not told it that it isnt.
I wonder where it keeps this info and for how long.
If the battery is disconnected for 3 months does it lose the info?

lowrider

Battery change

Post by lowrider » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:56 pm

The final chapter. I bought a new Bosch battery and borrowed a 12 V motorbike battery which I connected to
the terminals prior to removing from the old battery thus maintaining the 12 V supply to my car. New battery fitted with no nasty messages on the dashboard. Happy days.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by Nictrix » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:05 pm

lowrider wrote:The final chapter. I bought a new Bosch battery and borrowed a 12 V motorbike battery which I connected to
the terminals prior to removing from the old battery thus maintaining the 12 V supply to my car. New battery fitted with no nasty messages on the dashboard. Happy days.
Did you read the link that Flybobbie put up?
Basically the car charges an old battery differently to a new battery and is why the car needs to be told it has a new battery fitted.
If the car does not know there is a new battery it could be charging the battery wrongly possibly reducing the life of the new battery.
I dont know if its wise not to have the battery reset.
Although you are saving the cost of a dealer or indy resetting the battery is this going to be cheaper/dearer than if the battery is knackered in a shorter time?

warmasice

Battery change

Post by warmasice » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32 pm

lowrider wrote:The final chapter. I bought a new Bosch battery and borrowed a 12 V motorbike battery which I connected to
Not quite sure you know how it works. No offence. But it will need coding to prevent overcharging and make sure the life of the battery is prolonged. I know people have got away with not coding in the short term, but it's not something I'd personally do.. but each to their own. :)

sammyz

Battery change

Post by sammyz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm intrigued :) :)

that the car understands the 'old' battery isn't charging as well over time and is clever enough to adjust charge rate etc to compensate. But when a new battery is fitted the car can't recognize the 'better' charge rate and over charges.

Doesn't make much sense, but I still would have it reprogrammed just to be sure. There's a lot of electronic s in an e89 !
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Battery change

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:27 pm

If a standard lead acid is used probably no problem, just shorter natural life and perhaps likelihood of problems when the battery slowly dies, hopefully with the roof not half open.
BMW probably took on board the AGM battery having a longer life, as they seemed to be used a lot on stop/start vehicles, thus reducing warranty claims at say 3 year lead acid life span. And AGM probably more robust for use with the hood and engine not running.
They just need more looking after regards charging, hence the coding.