Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

35i & 35is common failures / buyer check points

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey all,

Spent the best part of 2 days reading this forum in attempt to glean as much info as I can on my prospective 35i / 35is purchase.

So far I have ascertained the following as known issues (although not necessarily particularly prevalent). I have listed in order of most expensive to least (assuming car does not have a warranty):
  • DCT gearbox rattle / failure
Only aware of 2 or 3 instances where owners have had these replaced under warranty. Rattling / noisy seems to be the complaint. Dread to think what one would cost out of warranty.

• Cracked alloys
A common occurrence on the 296 (1st pic), less common on the 326M (2nd pic) style alloy wheels but all the 19" seem to be affected much more then the 18". Cracking is typically on the inside rim so not easy to spot from the roadside. Ditching the RFT (run flat tyres) may help to prevent cracking as the runflats have a very stiff side wall. Budget at least £500 per wheel if you have to fund it yourself, or repair may be an option for £50-£70 each if you want to keep 'em.

• Piezo injector failure
These seem to leak fuel when closed which commonly causes poor running, particularly poor starting from cold with lots of spluttering. Looking at least £200 x 6 + fitting. BMW seemed to have revised these as the years have gone by so the most recent ones may be more reliable.

• Leaking adaptive suspension
Seems to be fairly isolated but one or two have had shock absorbers replaced due to fluid leakage so inspect carefully with the wheel removed if your warranty is coming to an end. Noises / clunks from the suspension also reported but these seem to be more likely to be bushes on the rear anti-roll bar.

• HPFP (High pressure fuel pump)

Most common complaint for this seems to be noisy rather than actually failing and stopping the car. Not sure of exact price but not cheap!

• Faulty coil packs
A common failure point on many cars (not just BMW) and it seems the E89 is not excluded. Not a difficult DIY to replace and I think around £60 or so each. Misfire on acceleration and poor performance once warmed up seem the most common complaint.

• LPFP (low pressure fuel pump)
The E89 uses a 'primer pump' inside the tank to send fuel up to the HPFP. You can often hear it start when you turn on the ignition. Again, seems like noise issues are the most prevalent complaints. Most dealers seem to needlessly change these when trying to fix cold start problems, only to then find it was the injectors all along.

• Rattling wastegate actuators
Again, not sure how this manifests itself in terms of fault symptoms but fairly widely reported. There are also some pressure transducers and a filter related to the turbo which have been noted to fail and cause an overboost malfunction (EML light on dash) - see here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=87475
Not sure of the fix for the wastegate, maybe just an annoyance rather than a problem?

• Electric handbrake failure
Usually lock on and can't be released which makes it a bugger to get the car to a garage. Seems to be related to early 'buggy software' in connection with the wheel speed sensor which perhaps isn't very well written. New software flash of the handbrake ECU seems to sort it. Most have to physically remove the electric actuators (small servo motors on the rear hub) to be able to move the car :-(

• Water ingress into boot / rear light cluster
VERY common reported fault and of course not restricted to the 35i. The BMW sealant degrades badly at around 5 yrs or so and requires all the rear sealant strip around the boot to be removed, cleaned, gutter sealant added and refitted. The rear light cluster seal also seems badly designed, resulting in misting and corrosion inside the assembly. Aftermarket ones are available from Euro Car Parts for a modest amount and seem to be better designed, otherwise it's a strip down, clean and seal properly before refitting. Note there was a recall for some aspects of water ingress into this area (vents?), and you can tell if this has been done by the presence of a green trim clip in the boot area.

I think that's all the stuff I've read about. Please feel free to add / comment and correct if I got anything wrong or missed anything.
Last edited by ph001 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 14 times in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Zed Five

Post by Zed Five » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Fingers crossed, I've not experienced any of these and am now up over 40k miles

Biggest failure for a 35iS is to adhere to national speed limits. :wink:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Had my 35i two+ years had none of the above but it will probable get one or two now I've mentioned it 8)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 pm

None of the above for me either. Now at 35k (from 18k when bought). :thumbsup:
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 pm

Zed Five wrote:Fingers crossed, I've not experienced any of these and am now up over 40k miles

Biggest failure for a 35iS is to adhere to national speed limits. :wink:
Yep just the same, no faults but as said, national speed limits are definitely an issue :rofl:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:36 pm

My parking brake 'failed' with warning lights but was working fine. So it seems it can fail and stick on or fail but still function. Updated software cured this.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:03 am

sammyz wrote:My parking brake 'failed' with warning lights but was working fine. So it seems it can fail and stick on or fail but still function. Updated software cured this.
Good to see it was an easy fix John :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 am

Great to see many owners up around the 40k miles mark with none of the above. Shows that it is quite a reliable car generally. I am quite surprised about the water ingress not being apparent as this is very widely reported. One to keep your eye on I think - it's a pretty cheap simple fix anyway.

Does anybody have any more info or experience of the rattling wastegate issue?
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

Wrs

Post by Wrs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 am

ph001 wrote:Does anybody have any more info or experience of the rattling wastegate issue?
Maniac does I believe and replacement exhausts.

You have missed 296 & 326 alloys cracking, very widely reported and £600 a pop.
Gone - Black Sapphire Z4 E89 35is
Gone - Midnight Blue Z4 E85 3.0si

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:00 pm

Oh yes, the alloys, good spot. Have added - thank you.

chasBMW

Post by chasBMW » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Sadly roof failure due to microswitches/sensor can occur
Valencia Orange 35is now gone but well remembered now Porsche Boxster GTS

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

The wastegates rattle on the N54 due to the actuator wearing..
You can have this altered by moving the base setting and this "tightens " the wastegate rod..
It's a work around and can cause the odd running issue..
Only real fix is too replace turbo's .. big money.

The adaptive suspension legs can leak on the front and they are expensive to replace ..

I did around 6k in my 35is and sold it with 65k (ish) on it and in my ownership it was faultless..

It got faster as the miles ticked up.

I think a warranty is a good thing to have on the 35is as the engine bills can be ruinous ..

JustCruzin

Post by JustCruzin » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Had a rear cracked 326 on my now sold 35is replaced very fortunately under warranty :)

Cheers JC :D

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 am

Had my car for nearly 3 years, from 17k to 60k miles and had the following:

Piezo injector failure

Leaking adaptive suspension

HPFP (High pressure fuel pump)

Faulty coil packs

LPFP (low pressure fuel pump)

Rattling wastegate actuators

The HPFP will cause the car to misfire while driving and to crank for long while starting. When it gets more severe will prevent the car starting. A bad HPFP will also mean your engine runs lean which is bad news.

The rattling wastegates are just an annoyance for the most part, all cars over 50k miles will have it to a varying degree, it's hard to hear from the drivers seat unless you part in a garage. They will eventually fail but it takes a good 30k miles before you start to notice a lack of boost and the car throws a fault.

Coil packs can be picked up for £20 each if you shop around. I got a fresh set of 6 for £120 from ECP during their last black friday sale.

Injectors are another thing that will be knackered on most cars if they are revision 11 or lower but are only really obvious once you have them fixed. When they fail the car will need recovering but they can run in a leaky state for years. It's only once you get a new set of injectors that you realise how much smoother and more fuel efficient the car is.

The DCT gearbox has proven to be incredibly reliable all across the BMW range. As with most things in these cars it's been hugely over-engineered, capable of handling much more torque than a standard Z4 can throw at it.

stuartinzg

Post by stuartinzg » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:41 pm

R.E92 wrote:Had my car for nearly 3 years, from 17k to 60k miles and had the following:

Piezo injector failure

Leaking adaptive suspension

HPFP (High pressure fuel pump)

Faulty coil packs

LPFP (low pressure fuel pump)

Rattling wastegate actuators

The HPFP will cause the car to misfire while driving and to crank for long while starting. When it gets more severe will prevent the car starting. A bad HPFP will also mean your engine runs lean which is bad news.

The rattling wastegates are just an annoyance for the most part, all cars over 50k miles will have it to a varying degree, it's hard to hear from the drivers seat unless you part in a garage. They will eventually fail but it takes a good 30k miles before you start to notice a lack of boost and the car throws a fault.

Coil packs can be picked up for £20 each if you shop around. I got a fresh set of 6 for £120 from ECP during their last black friday sale.

Injectors are another thing that will be knackered on most cars if they are revision 11 or lower but are only really obvious once you have them fixed. When they fail the car will need recovering but they can run in a leaky state for years. It's only once you get a new set of injectors that you realise how much smoother and more fuel efficient the car is.

The DCT gearbox has proven to be incredibly reliable all across the BMW range. As with most things in these cars it's been hugely over-engineered, capable of handling much more torque than a standard Z4 can throw at it.
I should probably start to prepare myself for some of these - being at 35k now.

Did you go with OEM injectors or look at aftermarket alternatives like the coils? Same for the HP/LPFP.

What did you do about the wastegates? I had an idea to go hybrid when they need doing and get them re-engineered. What do you think?

The leaking adaptive is a worry as that's bloody expensive and I'm out of warranty.
35iS, Black/Coral Red, 19" BBS CH-R/MPSS, Eiback Pro Springs, CoolCarbon Performance Pads, Golf T, Stubby, LED 80w halo's, X6 tips, CarPro CQuartz, Custom painted accessories