Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot soft close failure-Fixed

Player 1

Post by Player 1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:05 am

Ozie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am My softclose stopped working few months ago. Boot lights were working still. Yesterday it started to work again.... BUT now it's sucking the lid in and out right after. It does like 8 cycles and time between cycles is something like 35-40 seconds. What could this be?
It's the exact same problem, yours is just making/braking contact with the wire before it cycles all the way closed. Fixed this on my car last night after it became intermittent all of a sudden.

chrisonian

Post by chrisonian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 am

I had exactly the same symptoms and problem with my 2011 e89. I took off the liner, and after some slight jiggling these wires just broke loose! See the attached photo. I took the entire assembly off, soldered the wires, and reinstalled it. Now it's fine. Thank you for documenting this!
Attachments
IMG_2455.jpg
IMG_2455.jpg (289.87 KiB) Viewed 8664 times

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

:(
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat May 23, 2020 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:42 pm

BMW should have called vehicles back to have these wires and switches replaced. It's a manufacturing fault.

Beginning to wonder as well about general roof failures as i replaced the two roof motor solenoids to cure a roof failure, the one's i removed appeared to have no faults, but the reader i had said that several microswitches and sensors had failed, which they hadn't.

So are the recorded failures real, or do the brains of the system assume failure because the rest of the sequence as not been detected.

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Have attempted this fix, on the left micro switch, having had my soft close fail yesterday. I stripped the wires and used connector blocks to pull them together, when I put it back together it just goes in a continual cycle of opening and closing, this is before trying to close the boot. Have been at it for a while and can't think what to try next. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Anyone with any tips on what I am doing wrong or what I should try next, would be greatly appreciated? Do I used different connector blocks? Cant get out in the car in this nice weather which is making it worse.
Silver E89 Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Have a look at my video and test yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeFPf01714

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:33 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:21 pm Have a look at my video and test yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeFPf01714
Thanks for the video and help, frustratingly I still can't get it to work. At one point, it was going through the cycle on both sides as many as 4 and then stops, so it seemed to be working in some ways. However when testing it doesn't seem as if the mechanisms turn through their full range of movement and the photos below show where the locks on both sides sit, with the top image I think being in the wrong position which means the boot won't close but I can't get it to move.

Its no longer going through the cycle for some reason, however the other micro switch fell off and I have put it back on. I used connector blocks rather than soldering not sure if this has an effect, not the prettiest job I know

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:42 pm

I would invest in some solder and heat shrink. As you have probably seen these wires move a lot and need not to catch on anything.

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:10 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:42 pm I would invest in some solder and heat shrink. As you have probably seen these wires move a lot and need not to catch on anything.
Have never soldered before it is something I can do by simply following a youtube guide and buying the kit from Screwfix? The other microswitch on the other side keeps falling out of place, as I took the whole unit off to fix the wires, I am now concerned that this is another reason its not working, it doesn't even lock in place anymore, so my boot isn't secure.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 am

Amg01 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:10 pm
flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:42 pm I would invest in some solder and heat shrink. As you have probably seen these wires move a lot and need not to catch on anything.
Have never soldered before it is something I can do by simply following a youtube guide and buying the kit from Screwfix? The other microswitch on the other side keeps falling out of place, as I took the whole unit off to fix the wires, I am now concerned that this is another reason its not working, it doesn't even lock in place anymore, so my boot isn't secure.
Time to learn another life skill.

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:53 am
Amg01 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:10 pm
Time to learn another life skill.
Your right, however was concerned about messing it up, my electrician mate done it and its all sorted, enjoyed a lovely drive with my gf with the roof down, loving the car once again, thanks for all the help :driving: :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am

Well that's why we are all here, to keep the fun going....as cheaply as possible :D

Amg01

Post by Amg01 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:31 am Well that's why we are all here, to keep the fun going....as cheaply as possible :D
Thanks, it certainly does, with the good weather being able to get the roof down and wind in my hair has made me love the car all over again. Its staying for a while yet :thumbsup:

arugula375

Post by arugula375 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:50 am

Hi guys, just registered to post back on this thread. I had the same sort of problem with my e93 (3 cabrio). The trunk would pull-push and just continuously do that until interrupted by pulling the handle or inserting the key manually.
As soon as I saw 3 people stating similar symptoms i've gotten my courage together to dig down and disassemble that sucker.
I found the wire and immediately saw that the sensor changes state if wire is bent a little bit by pressing on it. That was confirming the cut wire theory.
So the cycling (pull to closed - release to open) comes from wire losing contact when pull happens so it goes back to open. This bends the wire in a tighter bend. Then it regains the contact and pulls again etc. etc.

On e93 all the wires were differently colored. The sleeve was black with brown (the cut one), white and green wires. I'm posting a picture in case that helps someone ;)
Attachments
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG (185.09 KiB) Viewed 7453 times

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 am

It’s a shame that bmw haven’t held their hands up for causing this issue, i wonder how many owners have paid considerable sums of money for this to be resolved? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold