Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Black marks made by seat belt.

superduperredz4

Post by superduperredz4 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi everyone, some of you must have this problem too,the seat belt is making nasty black marks on the suede part of my seats,cleaning does not cure it as it just keeps happening.Tried to put some duck tape over the mark but it looked naff and when I took it off it marked the Ivory nappa leather so now I have another problem to fix.How do I stop this stupid seat belt making black marks,the leather repair I can do.Help please.
Have a nice day.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:00 pm

There is another recent post about this. There is no solution other than some form of interface between the belt and the alcantara. Such as a seatbelt sock/cover. Have a look at other posts on this topic for more detail.

Get some decent alcantara cleaner and dab to clean (don't rub, this ruins the material).

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=91095 and there are a few others...

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Have a look at my car passenger seat belt.
I used a pair of those seat belt sock thingies bought for £2 pair from Wilko store.
Then bodged a hole in them and tied them to the metal ring the seat belt runs over to keep in place.
Result, no marks.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:58 pm

flybobbie wrote:Image

I used a pair of those seat belt sock thingies bought for £2 pair from Wilko store.
Then bodged a hole in them and tied them to the metal ring the seat belt runs over to keep in place.
Result, no marks.
Isn't that the Kansas leather interior tho? On the pure white design seats there's an alcantara strip that's a sod for picking up black marks.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:41 pm

Yes Kansas and it stains black and so does the red leather.
Did manage to clean off. At least it has smoother surface to clean.
So why didn't they fit a proper guide over the seat?
I see the earlier Zed has a guide and Mercs.

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 pm

flybobbie wrote:Image

Result, no marks.
Going off on a slight tangent, that's a lovely colour combination on your car Flybobbie :thumbsup:
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Well advertising does work.
I wanted the same as the promo videos, just could not afford the 35is !
Although the DSB caught my eye first.

red_35is

Post by red_35is » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:05 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:28 pm Image

Result, no marks.
Can you please post a photo of what you have them tied to, I'm not sure what metal ring you are referring to and how you have them attached. Thanks.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:58 pm

It's the metal bar the seat belt runs over.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm

As I've posted before, Nursey Sheepskin make 15" seatbelt covers to order. They work well and go with an Ivory White interior. (15" is, iirc, the distance from seatbelt top to buckle retainer, so the covers lie flat.)

Driven roof down, the interior* gets surprisingly dirty and the belts then rub this into the seat shoulders. (*If you haven't done it already, clean the car with the roof down and you'll see how filthy the black 'decking' between the rear window and the roll hoops is.)

To make matters worse, the shoulders are the dreaded Alcantara. There are various cleaners, of course, but the best I've found are "essential Waitrose fragrance free baby wipes" - titter ye not - used regularly and gently with the nap of the cloth.

The sheepskin covers handwash and the muck that comes out shows just how dirty top-down driving is.
Vidi, vici, veni

red_35is

Post by red_35is » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:51 am

Busterboo wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 pm As I've posted before, Nursey Sheepskin make 15" seatbelt covers to order. They work well and go with an Ivory White interior. (15" is, iirc, the distance from seatbelt top to buckle retainer, so the covers lie flat.)

Driven roof down, the interior* gets surprisingly dirty and the belts then rub this into the seat shoulders. (*If you haven't done it already, clean the car with the roof down and you'll see how filthy the black 'decking' between the rear window and the roll hoops is.)

To make matters worse, the shoulders are the dreaded Alcantara. There are various cleaners, of course, but the best I've found are "essential Waitrose fragrance free baby wipes" - titter ye not - used regularly and gently with the nap of the cloth.

The sheepskin covers handwash and the muck that comes out shows just how dirty top-down driving is.
Are these them?...

https://nurseysheepskin.co.uk/products/ ... belt-cover

Any photos of they look in the Z? Would you still have to secure these in place so they stay the top, always covering the Alcantara shoulder of the seat?

Thanks for the baby wipe tips, was about to order this, but I will try your way first...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BRHRR9Q/ ... _lig_dp_it

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:44 am

Yes, those are the right seatbelt covers. Just ask Nursey to make them 15" long, which they'll do for a few pounds extra.

They look fine in an Ivory White interior.

Other than being Velcro-ed around the belts, mine aren't attached. I just keep the driver's up with my right hand as I pull the belt across with my left. They work very well, but bear in mind the caveats in my previous post.

As for Alcantara cleaners, I haven't tried the one you've posted. It may be fantastic, I don't know (although the stiff bristle brush in the advert looks frightening). Just remember that Alcantara damages very easily.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 am

p.s. Some ba$tard's snapped your aerial.
Vidi, vici, veni

red_35is

Post by red_35is » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 am

Well I tried but the seatbelt is not pulling back smoothly any more, my guess is the cable tie is too thick and getting caught.

Last edited by red_35is on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.