Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronic Parking Brake Failure

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 pm

degenatron wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 pm Could someone with the ability PM the user above "BMW4LIFE2019" and ask to post a few more details. What cable did they use, and are the links I posted above relevant at all?
I'm not having much luck trying with a k/dcan cable from BMcables.
I don’t think he’d see any pm’s, he last logged in 30mins after making that post in December :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:58 pm

degenatron wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 pm Could someone with the ability PM the user above "BMW4LIFE2019" and ask to post a few more details. What cable did they use, and are the links I posted above relevant at all?
I'm not having much luck trying with a k/dcan cable from BMcables.
Did you buy the silver cable? That should work fine. Most likely a config issue with your COM ports or bad settings in the EDIABAS config.

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:38 pm

Sorted it finally, I had the switch on the cable the wrong way round. :headbang: It should be pushed towards the right.

So all I did was the method outlined in my previous post on page 8, then:

Once you have prepped winkfp with the e89 daten, just select comfort mode-> update ECU-> EMF89 Unverbaut-> Done-> Prog.ZB-Update. No need to enter VIN or ZB number. It will then read the existing software version from the car and show the new software version and ask if you want to update, so obviously say yes. Takes about 5-10 minutes and the parking brake will come back to life. Cruise control also working now too.

Also no need for an external power supply, just put the key in and press ignition on, without engine running. Battery SOC did drop from 56% to 33% though, so best to do it on a 'hot' battery I guess.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm

degenatron wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:38 pm Sorted it finally, I had the switch on the cable the wrong way round. :headbang: It should be pushed towards the right.

So all I did was the method outlined in my previous post on page 8, then:

Once you have prepped winkfp with the e89 daten, just select comfort mode-> update ECU-> EMF89 Unverbaut-> Done-> Prog.ZB-Update. No need to enter VIN or ZB number. It will then read the existing software version from the car and show the new software version and ask if you want to update, so obviously say yes. Takes about 5-10 minutes and the parking brake will come back to life. Cruise control also working now too.

Also no need for an external power supply, just put the key in and press ignition on, without engine running. Battery SOC did drop from 56% to 33% though, so best to do it on a 'hot' battery I guess.
Bmw charge a tidy sum for sorting this, maybe you could offer a service for other stricken e89’s for a reasonable fee? :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm Bmw charge a tidy sum for sorting this, maybe you could offer a service for other stricken e89’s for a reasonable fee? :?
Rob
I don't know about charging for it, no-one should have to pay to fix a software glitch - except BMW perhaps!

I would gladly perform the update for anyone local/who would travel to the Surrey area.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:51 pm

degenatron wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:50 pm Bmw charge a tidy sum for sorting this, maybe you could offer a service for other stricken e89’s for a reasonable fee? :?
Rob
I don't know about charging for it, no-one should have to pay to fix a software glitch - except BMW perhaps!

I would gladly perform the update for anyone local/who would travel to the Surrey area.
That sounds like a generous offer :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:00 am

Smartbear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:51 pm
degenatron wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:42 pm
Rob

That sounds like a generous offer :thumbsup:
Rob
Indeed . more than generous :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Cat2016

Post by Cat2016 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:41 pm

For anyone interested, i had this parkbrake failure and took the car to bmw dealer. The cost was 220 for the software update and 120 for the diagnostic. After getting the car back, i wrote to bmw uk complaining about the fact that i had to pay for a softeare update which is in fact a known issue, a failure of a safety feature and they asked me to go back to the dealer and ask someone from the garrage to make a complaint in my name if they think thisissue was not my fault. The guys at the service were good enough to file the comolaint so bmw agreed to lay for the software update 220 gbp, while the diagnostic fee, i agreed to pay as the guys at the bmw garrage were helpful enough (as i coukd not find anyone on the forums admitjng they got the money back, i was actually expecting for a longer fight with bmw over this issue).
Therefore, if anyone has this issue, just contact bmw and get them to pay for this as its their fault.
Hope this helps

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 am

Hi all

I've just recently had this issue on my 59-plate 30i. Warning light, but the parking brake will not come on no matter what I have tried.

I've downloaded the rar file and WinFKP to my laptop and have the cable mentioned earlier on in this thread coming in the post today. I've still to import the files into WinFKP but my question is, how easy is it to 'fry' my ecu and be left totally up the creek with this method? I know there are no guarantees with such things but I really don't want to be left with an expensive paperweight on the drive!

Any advice welcome! It's booked in for a n/s rear suspension knock on Tuesday and I'd rather not have to have them tell me I need to go to the dealer to have it rectified!

Thanks
2009 sDrive30i, deep sea blue, ivory

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Thu May 30, 2019 12:08 pm

ajguk wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 am Hi all

I've just recently had this issue on my 59-plate 30i. Warning light, but the parking brake will not come on no matter what I have tried.

I've downloaded the rar file and WinFKP to my laptop and have the cable mentioned earlier on in this thread coming in the post today. I've still to import the files into WinFKP but my question is, how easy is it to 'fry' my ecu and be left totally up the creek with this method? I know there are no guarantees with such things but I really don't want to be left with an expensive paperweight on the drive!

Any advice welcome! It's booked in for a n/s rear suspension knock on Tuesday and I'd rather not have to have them tell me I need to go to the dealer to have it rectified!

Thanks
You can import the update files without the cable so you can prep in advance if you prefer.

I would say there's zero risk with the method, WinKFP reads the existing software and confirms the new version with you - if there was an issue with the way you imported the update then it will not perform the flash procedure.

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the reassurance - I'll prep the files later today then run the update over the weekend!

Cheers

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Thu May 30, 2019 12:33 pm

@degenatron

Sorry to be a pain. When you say you followed the steps on page 8, do you mean the first 3? i.e.

Get 'Daten' files from here (2017, 4.5GB):
https://mega.nz/#!V0dWRBLS!Ov5i3Xxql0hc ... 2wUSAdq-z8

Install WinKFP from here:
https://mega.nz/#!kAASwa7I!AJLVnnEBwLgz ... ofE-TBYGmk

Import the downloaded Daten into WinKFP using this method:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attac ... 1337480801

And then did you perform the comfort mode you outlined on this page?

Thanks!

degenatron

Post by degenatron » Thu May 30, 2019 12:53 pm

ajguk wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:33 pm @degenatron

Sorry to be a pain. When you say you followed the steps on page 8, do you mean the first 3? i.e.

Get 'Daten' files from here (2017, 4.5GB):
https://mega.nz/#!V0dWRBLS!Ov5i3Xxql0hc ... 2wUSAdq-z8

Install WinKFP from here:
https://mega.nz/#!kAASwa7I!AJLVnnEBwLgz ... ofE-TBYGmk

Import the downloaded Daten into WinKFP using this method:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attac ... 1337480801

And then did you perform the comfort mode you outlined on this page?

Thanks!
Basically, yes.

Although I would get the latest and last to be released daten (V66) for the E89 here:
viewtopic.php?t=112291

I had a cable from BCables which came with their own installer and version of WinKFP so I used that instead.

Use the import method on the bimmerfest link and then the procedure:
Comfort mode-> update ECU-> EMF89 Unverbaut-> Done-> Prog.ZB-Update

And that's it.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu May 30, 2019 1:16 pm

there's this guide, may help with checking sw

mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

ajguk

Post by ajguk » Fri May 31, 2019 9:35 am

Well the plot thickens (a bit).....this morning after not having driven her for a week, the parking brake is working again, but there is still the 'P' warning light as before.

I haven't updated the software yet. Should I go ahead?