Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electronic Parking Brake Failure

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm Sorted.
New battery and software update.
Does the software become corrupt or is there and updated version ?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:31 pm

ronk wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:36 pm
I was hoping to get a good answer to this but all I was told was something like the software shows the ebrake as a simple open or closed circuit and the low battery interferes with this. The software update fixes it.
Still doesnt make sense to me.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Nictrix wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:31 pm
I was hoping to get a good answer to this but all I was told was something like the software shows the ebrake as a simple open or closed circuit and the low battery interferes with this. The software update fixes it.
Sounds to me like “Yes sir, that’s a definite maybe“!
A simple “I dont know” would impress me more I’m afraid - I had enough BS in my working life to last me till I knock my elbows on the side of my casket!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

ronk wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:37 pm

A simple “I dont know” would impress me more I’m afraid - I had enough BS in my working life to last me till I knock my elbows on the side of my casket!
It sounds though that this could happen to any E model as they will all have the same software in the car from the factory.
Although it would have been wise for BMW to make sure the updated software was in newer cars as soon as they knew there was a problem.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

Nictrix wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

It sounds though that this could happen to any E model as they will all have the same software in the car from the factory.
Although it would have been wise for BMW to make sure the updated software was in newer cars as soon as they knew there was a problem.
It would be nice to think the updated software was added to cars in for servicing, doesn’t look like it while they can get away with charging extra when the issue arises-poor show from Bmw :thumbsdown:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Arcade.Eyes

Post by Arcade.Eyes » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Happened to me this week.

Going to a dealer for an update. This thread today helped as they started with

"We need a comprehensive check on the whole car before we can say what it can be" £££££ talked them through what I know and this thread they have agreed to update for cheap next week.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:05 pm

So with all the ebrake problems being fixed by software updates, has anyone gone to trading standards for advice.
The brake system especially as the ebrake is also the emergency brake is a safety critical item, no different to faulty steering or air bags by design.
If software could wear out i can understand it requiring cash to fix, but safety critical should be subject to call back or at least a free fix when that problem arises. By paying we/you are admitting that it's not BMW's fault by design.
Look at all the VW that have been returned due to some dodgy software.

Funny that one of my customers last year was telling me how he got the push from VW Germany over that scandal, he now works for JLR!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

I see you have a 2010 model, mine 2009 23i.
In 2013 six months after purchase my car was called back for software security update, foc.
Touch wood never had problems with ebrake.
Did many others out there get that call back.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

In 2013 six months after purchase my car was called back for software security update, foc.
Funnily enough we bought ours in August 2013. I wonder if the previous owner had a call and either didnt bother getting it done or had already sold it.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 am

Nictrix wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:34 pm
flybobbie wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Funnily enough we bought ours in August 2013. I wonder if the previous owner had a call and either didnt bother getting it done or had already sold it.

I’m wondering if the ebrake software was changed along the production run by bmw, what’s the age of the newest e89 that’s had this issue?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jmb

Post by jmb » Wed May 30, 2018 10:10 am

I forgot to post back here- mine had this last year, and again, a full charge and a software update fixed it.
Interestingly, they updated the software on all the modules so it also fixed an annoying distortion when playing from a USB stick in the armrest (I don't have the screen and stuff) so that was a nice change.
However, I've recently been having a warning bong with the car on ramp symbol (started another thread) but no other warnings, and occasionally still see low battery... so something not quite right still.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:36 am

I'm interested in a local E89 3.0i (2009 - private sale) and took it for a test drive a few weeks ago. When the owner first fired it up he said 'oh, haven't seen that before' and it was the e-brake warning. The brake still seemed to work ok despite the warning symbol. He said he would take it to the local garage and get it fixed before selling it, but I wonder if it needed more than that (ie, the software update)? I haven't been in contact with him since, but might follow up on it to see what the fault was.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

jmb

Post by jmb » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 am

Would be interesting to see if anyone has had the same problem after the update? My assumption is the update lets the e-brake "tolerate" a low battery situation without going wrong but I guess I'll know for sure if mine does it again...

vtec96

Post by vtec96 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I am having this same issue today.. :-(
I had this issue before and the dealer updated the software already and everything seems fine during summer time.

I didn't drive my Z4 for 3 weeks now and today I took it out for a car wash. While I was waiting in the line, I shut off the car and the battery warning sign came up so I was like.."I know I know...I didn't drive it for 3 weeks already!"
But after car wash, the Parking/ebrake warning sign (Yellow P) came up and my ebrake is stuck.........
My car was stuck in the wash bay for 15 min and then I gave up. Locked the car and walked outside to call for help.
When I came back after 10 min, I started the car one more time, and the warning yellow P was still on but at least the brake is now released.

I don't even know if I should bring it back to dealer because they will not be able to replicate the problem :thumbsdown:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:41 pm

vtec96 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:54 pm I don't even know if I should bring it back to dealer because they will not be able to replicate the problem :thumbsdown:
Assuming you bought it from them, I'd take it back - the fault code should be stored on the On Board Diagnostics.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black