Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Condensation in Rear Left Taillight

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:34 pm

I've just noticed it on my 2009 z4 when I had intermittent indicator malfunction.
I hope I can get mine done under warranty - worth a go at least now I see others have done it even that age car. Alternatively does anyone experience of the ones on ebay - they are titled Magneti and I'm not sure if these are original or copies?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:50 am

As long as the rear light units are still servicable then it's not difficult to refit them in such a way that they don't allow water in through the seals.Dry them out thoroughly which might take a few days in a warm atmosphere or maybe 30 mins with a hairdryer.
Check the seal around the boot opening also,top section prone to leaking but easily removed and resealed.
Short video on YouTube which was very helpful (flybobbie I think)"
New rear light units are also available from ECP which I think might be original fitment....certainly same brand as the lights on my 2010 Z4 and just under £140.....think the bmw supplied lights are over £200 each.
I'm not quite finished with mine yet as MIGHT still have some leakage at vent on lower left behind storage cubby.....another known area prone to letting in water.
All these issues are curable with little more than hand tools and patience.....bit frustrating on a "quality" brand though.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Ok, Thanks! I'll see what BMW say and if its a no I'll try some of these options out. It does look like its failed along the bottom of the light although I can't quite see how so much water would go up into the assembly from there, so may be a leak up the top. The ones on ECP are the same ones as ebay, but ebay is slightly cheaper (142)
I'll post my results.
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:54 am

I think some people are getting free replacements then getting charged for fitting.
Be cheeky, try getting free and say thanks I will fit them myself!
Some where there must be a big pile of returned tail lights.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:54 pm

I went into Coopers in Chelmsford today, not my local dealer but that's where I am at the moment. Basically they'll charge £99 for an investigation, then if there is a problem they'll ask BMW to see if they will pay.

So I decided to take it to bits and it looks as if the water is coming in around the clipped in seal, not the plastic 'breakdown' others have said (well there was a lot of dirt there and it seemed to be inside the cover as well), so basically I emptied the water out, used a hair dryer to clear the condensation, cleaned the seal/areas around it and have re-assembled it.

I didn't have any sealant so I haven't put any in, so maybe I'll need to do that later if it continues.

I noticed that there were painted marks on the nuts holding the light in - I wondered if this was original or shows that its been fixed previously? Anyone have a view on that? The light has the right manufacturing age for my car (09), so its not been changed.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 pm

I had the same white marks on my 09 car.
Yes the dirt is a give away as to where rain water flows and penetrates the foam seal.
Take the lights off and glue the seal with plenty of Evostick glue. Assemble and then spray around the gap to seal.
I have had no problems now going on two years.
I think someone at Magneti ordered the wrong foam!
And just a rubbish design.

Beeacon

Post by Beeacon » Sat May 04, 2019 8:18 pm

flybobbie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:24 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHJa6z6e-a0
Take the lamp off and remove the clip on cover.
On the video I forgot to unclip the lamp socket from body work. It simply rotates to remove.
Underneath is foam gasket which should be closed cell foam, but isn't.
Dry the unit and foam and apply liberal amounts of Evostick glue to seal and clip back together.
Then finally apply a layer around joint.
The hardest part is re-seating the two oval seals back into bodywork.
If not fitted correctly, water will leak into boot.
Had no problems now for getting on 2 years.

Usual symptoms is fogging then dew drops, finally rapid flashing if very damp. Will dry and work normally.
Hey Flybobbie, I just completed this today following your information and signs of a bit of water ingress, thanks for the solution and video!
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy