Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Every e89 owner needs to read this... Boot/water ingress...

abeardo83

Re: Every e89 owner needs to read this... Boot/water ingress

Post by abeardo83 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Yes water is working its way in to the sump.
As for where it's coming from, I have no clue - all I'm trying to do with the tissue, is identify where is getting wet.
As for where the tissue is, I'm putting it under the the black backing plate in the boot, but away from the sponge that the pump lives in.
Water doesn't rise, so it must be coming in from above the line of the tissue.

This weekend's job: all trim out and pour water down the channels to see where it's getting in. Now I just need to figure how to get that back plate off....

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Two things, I assume you have the Green button like fixing on the offside of the boot which indicates the recall was done to stop water ingress into the boot.

The other things, the picture where you show the water is against the 'bump stop' was this picture after the car had been sat and not driven or was this after being driven in the rain? The only reason I ask is I noticed a bit of water like that after I drove up north in a down pour that never stopped. Lot of water on the roads and I assumed it was water which had been thrown up from the road whilst at speed. Never noticed it since.

Checking the boot this morning after the wind and rain over night and no issues here. Checked again after I got home and there has been some rain, still nothing.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm not sure where this green rivet is... The only green thing I have is the emergency fuel pull.
However...

I decided to have a go at it (just put it all back together now). Took all of the trim and floor out and it looks like water is coming from the vents which sit at right angles to the battery. (Pic below)

Image[/URL]

I assume these vents are the ones that should have been altered??

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:47 pm

See your last picture on the 2nd page, you've got black plastic fixings holding on the boot trim. The one on the offside (drivers side) that you'll have removed should be green if it's been recalled. If it's black it's not been and that may be your issue.

Actually it will be the clip you've removed to get the above picture. You'd know if you removed a black and a green one.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Nope, no green poppers/rivets, other than the green pull for the fuel flap.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:23 pm

abeardo83 wrote:Nope, no green poppers/rivets, other than the green pull for the fuel flap.
Actually sorry, just checking but that one might be the fuel release. Have you a warranty on the car? I'd be checking with your dealer to make sure the recall was carried out.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

imported

Post by imported » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 am

I have an e89 that's been kept outside all day with no shade for 5 years. I never noticed a boot leak, but then again my right tail light has just brought up an LED indicator failure.

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:42 am

So this rivet that people think is a sign of the recall is actually the emergency fuel pull?
The car does have a BMW insured warranty yep - it's going I on Monday for them to take a look, and to fix it's dead headlight. The car is now at 59,956, so no more running until Monday, to keep it below 60,000!!!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:03 am

So its looking like its the recalled vents. Well at least that's a good thing in terms of a direction to head for resolution to the issue.

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:56 am

Yeah all roads seem to point to this. Does anyone know where I can look to get details printed off, to take to BMW?

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Monday's conversation will be interesting... Turns out the car has had the vent update already....

Chuffer

Post by Chuffer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Just had a look at my boot seal and it was as the previous pics, a sort of off white blue tac. Similar to what is used to seal caravan roof lights. Mine was crumbly & not very sticky, I'd say close to the end of it's useful life (mines a 2010 plate). Pulled the whole seal off and with a small screwdriver removed all the crumbly sealant from the groove and wiped off the residue from the plastic trim. When it was all clean I applied a bead of high modulus clear silicone into the groove of the rubber and all around the flat bit that has two screws in it. Replaced the seal, removed excess sealant, checked roof operation & with a can of spray grease gave each joint a little squirt.

Great post, thanks for the heads up on what could have been a real problem in the future.

I wonder where else they have used that grotty sealant?????

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:29 pm

It's also under the metal strip the rear clamshell sits on.

abeardo83

Post by abeardo83 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:39 pm

So after BMW having the car for 4 hours, they've called me to say that they can't find anything and need to start taking trim off, at the cost of £400 to do. :thumbsdown:
The SA advised that even after that, chances are BMW UK won't honour any warranty, as extra warranty work (so for example, their vent swap out), is only covered for the remained of the original warranty of the car (so basically, no chance on a 5year old motor). So it could cost me £400 for them to tell me to do one. :headbang:

I've told him to return the car. I'll take the trim out and look to seal the headlights, similar to what FlyBobbie did and potentially look to find a way of sealing up those crappy vents in the boot.

Does anyone know how to remove the control unit that sits in the D/S/R of the boot space, so that I can get at the vent there?

...I think a letter to the CEO of BMW UK is on the way. I'm so angry!!!!!

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:24 pm

I'd not be happy but also I think it's good you're taking action to both object and resolve as I've found my attempts to fix usually end with a better and more hassle free result. These are complex cars and also convertibles so leaks in time are while not inevitable, possible.