Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hardtop roof issues. 2013 plate

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:35 am

flybobbie wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:51 pm What we need is a table of where and how a fault occurs.
Good idea! I've started it as well in earlier times and never ever use it.

But it's much easier:
  • salmon relays should always get replaced every 5-8 years to avoid troubles
  • micro switch coupling lock should always get replaced every 8-10 years
  • battery should always get replaced every 6-10 years
  • the 2 hall sensors on the right coupling lock should be checked for cracked and/or rusty plastic housings
If this package has been completed, in 70% there is only one main issue left:
broken wires in the rear roof shell. Should be repaired on both sides for all 3x2 wires to avoid repeating issues with broken wires.

Leaving 20% for broken hydraulic hoses in the rear roof shell.

The rest is based on water in the trunc (should always be checked at first) as well as violence against the roof package or the trunc lid by the Z4 owners (caused by one of the above listed, missed tasks). :rofl:

Unfortunately, diagnosing/working based on fault codes doesn't lead to success in every case, as sometimes no fault codes will be stored, in other cases WRONG fault codes get stored.
We should set up a half yearly repair happening to train you guys on the roof. :driving: :tumbleweed:
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 am

Before i replaced the salmon relays, my code reader said several sensors were faulty, lots of red boxes on reader, when they weren't.
Made wonder if the relays were actually the cause, but replacing them cured the problem, all codes cleared.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:03 pm

Right, the problem I am having is the message ROOF IS NOT LATCHED. What is actually happening is when I put the roof down it's going thru the process but when the boot is closing the message pops up and sometimes windows are staying down(I can't change it and the annoying signal warning me that the roof is not latched).
Then when I put the roof up all going fine until boot is closing and the same message appears. Back window won't close because I suppose boot is not latched?
This is happening from time to time and sometimes I can go thru the process of open - close roof without any problems but recently that message starts to showing up more frequently makes me wonder what is happening.
I went thru the forum here with people having the same problem(not fully:)). Is this switch problem?
If yes I would be very thankful if someone could guide me how to inspect the issue and solve it.
Many Thanks in advance.
Andy

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:16 pm

When i had that problem, it was the connector on the boot cylinder right side had slightly pulled apart.
Doesn't appear to have a locking latch or barb. My car had some blue inspection paint on it.
fault.jpg
fault.jpg (62.66 KiB) Viewed 500 times
I pushed it back together, blob super glue and cables ties, no problem since.

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:51 am

Thanks flybobbie.
I'll check it out later today and let you know if that would do the magic for me too.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:53 am

Andy G wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:03 pm Right, the problem I am having is the message ROOF IS NOT LATCHED. What is actually happening is when I put the roof down it's going thru the process but when the boot is closing the message pops up and sometimes windows are staying down(I can't change it and the annoying signal warning me that the roof is not latched).[...]

This is happening from time to time [..]
In 99.9% of these cases the microswitch coupling lock have to be replaced by new ones. And don't glue anything in the roof's construction! If a housing doesn't locked anymore, replace these housings, as anybody has destroyed it in the past.

Always the same story: get it replaced in advance after 10 years.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Andy G

Post by Andy G » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:12 pm

Hey RobbiZ4,
Where can I find the microswitch coupling lock in my z4 ?
Thanks

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Andy G wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:12 pm Hey RobbiZ4,
Where can I find the microswitch coupling lock in my z4 ?
Thanks
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=129556

Look on there. That thread also has a link to another thread where it's all explained. The part numbers for the microswitches for the bootlid (coupling lock) are there too. The switches are not too expensive considering they are BM parts (£16 each).
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!