Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical buzzing on 20i - throttle related - FIXED

jwa1

Electrical buzzing on 20i - throttle related - FIXED

Post by jwa1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:34 pm

My 20i has what I perceive as an issue as there is an electrical buzzing sound from the centre console. It is throttle related and not excessively loud but definitely noticeable. It is coming from the interior of the car not the engine bar. BMW told me it was when the engine was in 'lean' mode, I'm not convinced and am going to rebook. I think they might have mistaken what I was talking about as the slight tappy engine which I have no issue with and know is normal. Does anybody have and info or experience of this?
Last edited by jwa1 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Electrical buzzing on 20i - throttle related

Post by Maniac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:37 pm

A few N20 owners have posted about this, a metallic, fan like spinning noise or similar. Some think its the electronic audio exhaust enhancement that this car has, some have it more than others. No one I've seen post knows what it really is tho.

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Yeah I've read some post which then tend to get distracted onto other things that to me sound like a different issue. It's exactly how you describe it. The dealer told me the 20i models don't have engine replication through the sounds system. Hopefully somebody has had it sorted and can share their experience...

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 pm

jwa1 wrote:Yeah I've read some post which then tend to get distracted onto other things that to me sound like a different issue. It's exactly how you describe it. The dealer told me the 20i models don't have engine replication through the sounds system. Hopefully somebody has had it sorted and can share their experience...
Ah I thought I'd seen somewhere it had some module thing to enhance the 4 pot engine, perhaps not.

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 pm

Apparently it's only on the 28i but I'm not taking the dealers word for it! I might remove all the audio fuses at some point and test if the noise is still there.

Billy

Post by Billy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:06 am

jwa1 wrote:My 20i has what I perceive as an issue as there is an electrical buzzing sound from the centre console. It is throttle related and not excessively loud but definitely noticeable. It is coming from the interior of the car not the engine bar. BMW told me it was when the engine was in 'lean' mode, I'm not convinced and am going to rebook. I think they might have mistaken what I was talking about as the slight tappy engine which I have no issue with and know is normal. Does anybody have and info or experience of this?
Is it not perhaps this, the injectors, what you are describing - which is perfectly normal on the 20i and 28i

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=48626
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40938
'17 440i LCI convertible (F33)
'12 Z4 sDrive20i M-Sport (E89) - gone
'07 325i (E90) - gone
'04 Z4 2.5i (E85) - gone

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I definitely sounds like the first one...

dvd112

Post by dvd112 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:51 pm

mine has exactly this as well. 2.0 msport, 2014 model, had it from brand new, had the noise from brand new too!

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:22 pm

dvd112 wrote:mine has exactly this as well. 2.0 msport, 2014 model, had it from brand new, had the noise from brand new too!
Fuel injectors..
'07 325i (E90) - gone
'04 Z4 2.5i (E85) - gone

jwa1

Post by jwa1 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 am

I'm not convinced. I'll post back with any updates over the next month.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:08 am

Good luck but in all honesty I think you will be wasting your time with the dealer on this one, it appears to be a characteristic, mine did it but after a while you get used to it or gets drowned out by the diesel engine BMW have fitted to these cars, one of reasons I got rid :(

Tim.

RobH

Post by RobH » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

TitanTim wrote:Good luck but in all honesty I think you will be wasting your time with the dealer on this one, it appears to be a characteristic, mine did it but after a while you get used to it or gets drowned out by the diesel engine BMW have fitted to these cars, one of reasons I got rid :(

Tim.
Ditto. My 28i did it. And agree with Tim. Overall the engine did sound like a bag of bolts. The buzzing tended to be an off throttle/light throttle buzz. Add in the driveline shunt (manual) and it was a really, really annoying car in traffic. A shame cos the engine sounded pretty decent when you buried the foot to the firewall. I got rid of mine as well.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:32 am

RobH wrote:
TitanTim wrote:Good luck but in all honesty I think you will be wasting your time with the dealer on this one, it appears to be a characteristic, mine did it but after a while you get used to it or gets drowned out by the diesel engine BMW have fitted to these cars, one of reasons I got rid :(

Tim.
Ditto. My 28i did it. And agree with Tim. Overall the engine did sound like a bag of bolts. The buzzing tended to be an off throttle/light throttle buzz. Add in the driveline shunt (manual) and it was a really, really annoying car in traffic. A shame cos the engine sounded pretty decent when you buried the foot to the firewall. I got rid of mine as well.
You don't hear it with the roof down or when you bury your foot. I only notice mine in traffic which is something I can live with. Otherwise turn up the stereo!
'07 325i (E90) - gone
'04 Z4 2.5i (E85) - gone

jwa1

Re: Electrical buzzing on 20i - throttle related FIXED

Post by jwa1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:36 am

Ok quite surprisingly this has been FIXED on my car! I got my 20i back from its 3 day booking I made a while ago today. Initially I was given the 'it's the fuel injectors' line, I told them I wasn't convinced and it would be good to hear it on another car on collection to make sure we were talking about the same thing and that it was a normal noise. I didn't think anything more of it but upon collection I was told of the fix.

Apparently there is a BMW technical bulletin about it. It is caused by the fuel line attached to the bulkhead which vibrates and resonates through the cabin. The fix is to remount it. I can 100% say that my car has absolutely no buzzing now. I was completely shocked about it. It is so nice to be able to hear the engine clearly.

I will call the dealer for more details of the bulletin if anyone thinks they will give me that.

Billy

Re: Electrical buzzing on 20i - throttle related FIXED

Post by Billy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:19 am

jwa1 wrote:Ok quite surprisingly this has been FIXED on my car! I got my 20i back from its 3 day booking I made a while ago today. Initially I was given the 'it's the fuel injectors' line, I told them I wasn't convinced and it would be good to hear it on another car on collection to make sure we were talking about the same thing and that it was a normal noise. I didn't think anything more of it but upon collection I was told of the fix.

Apparently there is a BMW technical bulletin about it. It is caused by the fuel line attached to the bulkhead which vibrates and resonates through the cabin. The fix is to remount it. I can 100% say that my car has absolutely no buzzing now. I was completely shocked about it. It is so nice to be able to hear the engine clearly.

I will call the dealer for more details of the bulletin if anyone thinks they will give me that.
That would be quite helpful! Would really appreciate if you could get that reference!
'07 325i (E90) - gone
'04 Z4 2.5i (E85) - gone