Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuel Pump?

Paul c

Re: Fuel Pump?

Post by Paul c » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm

So just been with my whine quess what fuel pump :( chap said it was'ent the first one they'd seen would need it for two days so they could do a full diagnosis with as little petrol in it as possible he thought there was a update for the pump so here's hopeing I get the right one :|
2013 Z435i msport manual Glacier silver heated seats 326alloys comfort pack [ Gone ]
Porsche Cayman PDK 20in platinum alloys park control sound system + heated seats
Mini Cooper Countryman White black Roof and wheels Chilli Pack

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:04 pm

I stand corrected - it appears that they do drain the tank. That said, at the garage I use they do return it. Here's the reply I had...hope it helps:-

"I have asked the technician involved in doing your car and he has advised me the process in that it is done from underneath the car, the fuel tank stays in position, but the exhaust system comes off, heat shields, rear suspension brace bars to gain access. Yes they have to drain the fuel off, which is done with a pump, but is returned fully. This why we ask to run it down as low as you can or dare."

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I didn't realise how much work was involved - I just hope it all goes back together as built.

My dealer said that they don't like to put the withdrawn fuel back in as it may have been contaminated with other fuel and debris from the holding tank. I wonder where it does go???? :) (That's my suspicious nature coming to show again)
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:33 pm

They could put it through a filter and feed it back into my car to cover the huge amounts of fuel they've used while sorting my car out over the years!

It always amazes me... they charge me over the odds if I bring my hire car back shy of the mark it left. Yet they'll happily chew half a tank of fuel out of my car ragging it up and down to find noises or whatever... Always find it amazing how my car does so many miles with the dealership.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:44 pm

They loaned me a car for the weekend in an attempt to sort a problem. The hire forms showed 1/4 tank - The gauge in the car was at zero and the warning light on. Not enough to get me home. I think it was running on fumes!

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:18 pm

I must admit, my eyebrows raised when I saw how much had to be done. :o It's probably tempting fate but the car was returned in good order with no new rattles or clonks. During my last visit I met the person who worked on the car and he's their top technical guy with 20 years under his belt. He gave me a feeling of confidence that he knew exactly what he was doing.

Paul c

Post by Paul c » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:46 pm

They told me the seat had to come out how does that work :?
2013 Z435i msport manual Glacier silver heated seats 326alloys comfort pack [ Gone ]
Porsche Cayman PDK 20in platinum alloys park control sound system + heated seats
Mini Cooper Countryman White black Roof and wheels Chilli Pack

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Paul c wrote:They told me the seat had to come out how does that work :?
I understand the seat has to come out for when the mechanic is having his cuppa :)

Tim.

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:15 pm

No idea - assuming we're talking about an E89. Ask to speak to the technician as the knowledge of the people who front the service reception can be variable. I'm pretty sure my seat wasn't touched...

strugglinauthor

Post by strugglinauthor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:17 pm

TitanTim wrote:
I understand the seat has to come out for when the mechanic is having his cuppa :)

Tim.
:rofl:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Well I hope mine stays totally silent otherwise it will be joining the things to be looked at come service time :cry:

Tim.

Transmat

Post by Transmat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:02 pm

strugglinauthor wrote:I must admit, my eyebrows raised when I saw how much had to be done. :o It's probably tempting fate but the car was returned in good order with no new rattles or clonks. During my last visit I met the person who worked on the car and he's their top technical guy with 20 years under his belt. He gave me a feeling of confidence that he knew exactly what he was doing.
I'm sure it will be fine, and great that the work has finally be done :)

35i-Nut

Fuel Pump?

Post by 35i-Nut » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:47 pm

guys does anyone know where and how to access the low pressure fuel pump on a 35i ?

Mine whines when the tank is full , info thin on the ground for replacement

Does the fuel tank need to come off to change ?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Fuel Pump?

Post by ronk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:08 pm

35i-Nut wrote:guys does anyone know where and how to access the low pressure fuel pump on a 35i ?

Mine whines when the tank is full , info thin on the ground for replacement

Does the fuel tank need to come off to change ?

I had mine done on warranty - it was a full and complete cure.
However some two years down the line, both rear tyres showed uneven wear on their inside edges. I'm told the rear suspension arms are dropped so I'm unsure if the tracking is disturbed in the process ?

35i-Nut

Fuel Pump?

Post by 35i-Nut » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:48 pm

good to know it fixed the issue , I take it the tank must be dropped then to change?